Spirit of the Century

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
The Great War is over and my copy of Spirit of the Century is on its way while I pick over the pdf. I'm strapping on my .45's, sending my three-piece to the dry cleaners, cracking my knuckles and getting my fedora just so.

I'd love to run a Spirit of the Century game that addresses the issues of race and minorities with all of the super-heroic folk as minorities, because they are the only ones in that era who have to go to such lengths to get their will done. But I'm honestly not sure if I want to play that or write it.

My girlfriend has awesome ideas as America as the exotic locale. Neat. Purty dames with anthro degrees and geekiness are awesome.

The Century Club is about to open its doors.

What are you going to do once the band starts playing?

Jim DelRosso

Magnificent Bastard
Validated User
Man, I'll be honest: I'm always up for a straight-forward pulp action game. :)

That being said, deconstructing the genre as you describe could be an absolute blast. Doing some modern neo-pulp in the style of Planetary or Hellboy*? Also awesome.

And there's a great little discussion on the FATE mailing list about using SotC for Eberron; it's something I've been thinking about for a while, and I think it'd be pretty keen.

Though, possibly the most practical idea that's running through my head is having every person I game with come up with a character, and then keep them in a folder for the nights when someone can't make it. It's one of the suggetsed uses for the game, and it's just one hell of an idea.

* Hellboy would totally pack Endurance and Might stunts, with a surprisingly high Academics rank for a "brick". ;)

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
The "take on the racism issues of the time by looking at America as the exotic land for the other races to experience through their deeds of Pulpy goodness" was brain-shattering when you first mentioned it to me, and it remains just as fresh and startling to me now. Good god, man. Run/write that thing to the hilt.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
Though, possibly the most practical idea that's running through my head is having every person I game with come up with a character, and then keep them in a folder for the nights when someone can't make it. It's one of the suggetsed uses for the game, and it's just one hell of an idea.
When we were developing SOTC, this is exactly what we did. Had about a dozen gamers over at Rob's place all at once and did up the character creation gig. Was awesome, and helped fulfill the "pick-up game" mandate from the get-go.

drnuncheon

Validated User
Step 1) Drool over the PDF
Step 2) ?
Step 3) PROFIT!

More seriously...I'm not sure yet, but I love the things Rob and Fred have done with FATE, and how the flow of Fate points has become so important with the tagging of aspects on other characters and scenes as well as on yourself.

My own temptation is to run a Doc Savage-style campaign where the central hero is gone - dead or vanished or retired. Maybe the characters are the second generation of his sidekicks. Sort of like the torch passing from Tom Swift to Tom Swift Jr.

J

PseudoIntellectual

Slashmaster General
Validated User
I just want to play the game and see how our contemporary sensibilities end up affecting the genre. See how the genre drifts and whatnot without really trying for it, because it'll happen anyway.

Orsino

Inveterate Layabout
Validated User
I'm running Spirit of the Century in the Roleplay-by-Post forum right now.

Also running some pulp goodness for part of my regular group, since one of our regulars is on vacation. When he gets back, we're using the rules for roleplaying in the 17th Century, a game imaginatively titled "The Pirate Game." (This came about because I was justly accused of putting pirates in every other game I ran. I'm cutting out the middleman this time.)

My group isn't using the system to explore any deep meanings or metaphors, really. We're more about the smashing nazis and beating up dinosaurs. Or vice versa. And defending the Grail from time-travelling ninjas.

Paul Watson

Validated User
I'm kicking around the idea of doing something Solomon Kane-esque, or maybe go the other way and go all Flash Gordon.

rstites

Validated User
I've just heard about this. How does it differ from FATE 2.0 mechanically? Is it a big change or just an adaptation to certain genre?

Andy K

I Like Games
Validated User
What are you going to do once the band starts playing?
I am going to STEAL.

I just got my PDF copy having pre-ordered the hardcover. First off, Holy fuck thank you guys for making a "Landscape" version of this game. Easy on my eyes, easy on my printer. That's a real class act.

So, what am I going to STEAL? Pages 143 to 170 (of the landscape version, the regular book starts on page 276), which I am printing right now.

They are the best ever, and I mean

THE. BEST. EVER.

...guidelines and strategies for a GM running a roleplaying game. Out of all the mainstream or indie books I've ever owned, no other company or designer has ever, EVER put as much time, thought and energy into making such a helpful section. The advice is universal (save for the one section on specific pulp games), it is solid, it is a MACHINE for producing GOOD GMs. I seriously want all the other players at my table (especially the Other GM of my weekly gaming group) to buy this game so that they can see this adivce as well. Not even in those mid-late 90's "Mostly GM Advice" supplements (Listen Up You Primitive Screwheads, La Comme Il Faut, etc) have they even come close to scratching the surface of what Spirit of the Century covers in some 30 (60) pages.

This is a book that every GM should have on their shelf, and a book that has raised the standards. "Oh, you didn't understand how to run this game? Well, you didn't try hard enough/You just don't 'get it' ": This sentence will never be able to be levelled again, as it's clear that it IS the designers' job to make the reader into a better GM/player, and it's also clear that there are real tools and explanations that can be leveraged to do so.

So yeah, "Congratulations!" is a hollow term for the Evil Hat Crew. Because they really went the extra mile. It's more like, "Thank You".

-Andy

Top Bottom