[spoilers] Cobra Kai

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
So the first season is now available with the first two episodes free.

Only watched one episode so far but I did really enjoy it. The movie footage helped a fair bit in setting up the new story and building Johnny as the protagonist.

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
I'm up to episode 7 and am finding it very interesting. All the characters are interesting and growing in ways that make sense for them.

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
That was the girlfriend from the first movie? I think they just said it didn't work out.

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
Oh, my god. Johnny telling the first Karate Kid from his point of view is hilarious and just twisted.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That was the girlfriend from the first movie? I think they just said it didn't work out.
Yeah. In the second, after a bit of time passed from the All-Valley tournament Daniel mentions she dumped him for a football player or similar.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
The trailer thread has kinda morphed into the season general thread (as is out wont) but we could use a spoiler thread I guess?

From the first episode, *the* moment that sold the series for me was Johnny watching the not-Top Gun movie and getting really into it, the 80s machismo motivational speech genuinely resonating for him, like, "yeah, that's right, *that's* the guy I wanna be! Never give up!"

Because... And the show knows this... Life isn't an 80s movie. Life is complicated, with its peanut allergies and its asthma and its relationships that break up and leave you estranged from your kid. we can't always be the kind of person we want to be.

And that's what has me hooked, as an emotional core for the show. Its not just gags about 80s nostalgia and Rex Kwon Do. There's a real heart to a project that could have quite easily taken the easy road, and I've gotta respect the artistry on show here.

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
The movie Johnny was watching was Iron Eagle, a staple of VHS and afternoon movies in the 80s and 90s.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Gotcha. I knew it had to be something like that, either that or stock footage spliced with a pastiche shot for the show.

Top Bottom