[spoilers] Cobra Kai

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Was Danny's Crane Kick technically illegal, as Johnny stated in the first episode? I'm not clear on that.
In most tournaments it would be, particularly since Daniel used it without an ounce of restraint or control. My suspicion is that it would have been ruled a foul, but since Johnny had some fouls of his own and was unable to continue fighting after being kicked the ref probably let it pass. I don't think it would have turned out that way at most Karate tournaments, though.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Would a deliberate headshot be allowed, even back in the 80's?
It's plausible that the crane kick was/is a loophole, since its not a arm strike/punch. And perhaps there are rules against kicking an opponent who is already down, so the rule makers assumed they were covered. Plus its not likely used that often. So no one bothered with a rule against it.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Would a deliberate headshot be allowed, even back in the 80's?
Generally no. The rules for the World Karate Federation might help here:

https://www.wkf.net/pdf/wkf-competition-rules-version9-2015-en.pdf

See Article 8: Prohibited Behavior, particularly Category 1-1 and 1-3 and Category 2-9. I think most judges would rule Daniel's final kick a violation based on all of these.

Now, all that said: Johnny had a bunch of fouls as well. Open hand strike to the face, a strike against the knee, a sweep, and probably plenty of others I'm not remembering. He should have been disqualified long before Daniel ever got a chance to do his crane kick, but of course that would make for an anticlimactic ending!

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
So it might make the most sense to assume the All Valley Competition isn't part of the WKF for likely personel petty reasons of its founders.
And its popularity is partly from its looser ruleset.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
So it might make the most sense to assume the All Valley Competition isn't part of the WKF for likely personel petty reasons of its founders.
And its popularity is partly from its looser ruleset.
Given the entire situation, I could see the ruling body that oversees the All Valley tournament being like, "Yeah... um... this Larusso guy walked back onto the mat with a knee that would've disabled anybody else and fought to victory. He's the All-Valley darling. We DQ him, and there will calls for our heads and likely a complete vendor/sponsor walkout, which will just kill the future of this competition. That other guy was a jerk anyhow. The win stands."

Of course, remember at the very beginning of KK2, Reese isn't arguing that it's a foul, he's lambasting his students. In KK land, the hit might be legal.

Last edited:

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I was being somewhat anachronistic there, as the WKF didn't exist by that name until 1990 (I think). There are lots of Karate organizations, even today, and not a single unified authority on such things. Most use very similar rules for tournament fighting, though. But, given that a school like Cobra Kai is even allowed to exist, I think your interpretation is certainly valid.

Given the entire situation, I could see the ruling body that oversees the All Valley tournament being like, "Yeah... um... this Larusso guy walked back onto the mat with a knee that would've disabled anybody else and fought to victory. He's the All-Valley darling. We DQ him, and there will calls for our heads and likely a complete vendor/sponsor walkout, which will just kill the future of this competition. That other guy was a jerk anyhow. The win stands."
Yeah, that's reasonable, particularly in the 1980s.

Matchstick

Validated User
Late to this party, but I just watched this.

And it was amazing how, even with all the cheese (probably appropriate for this franchise) and the numerous shameless callbacks, this was a hell of lot of fun and pretty deftly plotted.

I particularly marvel at how they pulled off the trick of believably having his students make Johnny a better person while he was simultaneously kind of teaching them all to take on his worst traits. That was a nice bit of writing.

Winterland

Help, help. I am being repressed
Validated User
The only thing that didnt quite work 100% for me was Robbie.

I never got until the very last episode whether he actually had become a better person through Dannys teachings or if he was still just out to get revenge on his dad.

I must also mention that it took Miguel almost a year to reach the level he was at at the tournament, but Robbie only a few months. (and in the movie Johnny had trained for years while Danny had like, one month to git gud).
Not to mention Sam who basically trained child-Karate and that was years ago but could probably kick a fuckload of ass, if she really wanted, or needed to.

So the answer must be that Miyago-do Karate is more mystical and is more on the "Balance your Chi" side of martial arts. (what some corners of the internet would call "Bullshido" -except, since this is a movie/TV series it works)

Or to put it in roleplaying terms. Johnny trains Martial arts, Danny trains Do.

JoshR

Validated User
Miguel probably had farther to go than Robbie, who probably got some basic training as a kid from his father, and certainly seems the type who has gotten into a lot of school fights, at the least. Daniel only needed to focus that, rather than build him up from zero like Johnny does with Miguel.

William Zabka does some great things with the lines he’s given. My favorite is, “In my day, if you wanted to tease someone, you did it to their face. There was honor. Respect.”

That’s just a great line. It’s ironically funny just on the face of it, there’s an element of truth to it, and it gives you insight into Johnny’s character.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Also, Miguel seems a lot nerdier than the more jock-esque Robbie. Which also likely affects things.

Top Bottom