• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[spoilers] Cobra Kai

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I realize that YouTube comments are not a reliable way of gauging how the general public feels (to put it mildly), but I'm noticing a lot of vitriol toward the 2014 Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan movie (which I consider superior to the original).
That makes me wonder. Is this standard "they changed it now it sucks because nothing can compete with my childhood memories"? Is it something darker? Or is there some legit problem I've somehow missed with the remake?
A large part of "how dare you remake a movie", combined with the fact that the remake was... not really very good. It wasn't terrible, but it was boring and forgettable. I *LOVE* Jackie Chan, but he wasn't used well and even he was forgettable in the film.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Well, in the remake they are in China and what they are doing is not Karate. Instead Jaden Smith's character is just called that because he's a westerner or something...

Brian888

Validated User
Well, in the remake they are in China and what they are doing is not Karate. Instead Jaden Smith's character is just called that because he's a westerner or something...
I thought it was pretty clear that the film is called "The Karate Kid" to draw in fans of the franchise, despite the fact that it's all kung fu. It's just weird, like if "The Wrestler" had been about a muay thai fighter or something.

Dave999

Validated User
I thought it was pretty clear that the film is called "The Karate Kid" to draw in fans of the franchise, despite the fact that it's all kung fu. It's just weird, like if "The Wrestler" had been about a muay thai fighter or something.
I view it as studios thinking viewers are morons.

Because they thought audiences couldn't make the connection.

sun_tzu

Validated User
*shrugs*
I figured it was called "The Karate Kid" because it's a retelling of "The Karate Kid". Which it is.
The fact that the martial art being taught is not karate honestly isn't a big deal. It's not like the original movie went deeply into the techniques of real karate or anything.

Top Bottom