• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers][General Anime Spring 2018] This Season Lineup Can't Be This Fake!

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Spring 2018 Anime Streaming Info!

Same drill as usual. I'll update this list as announcements are made. I'm not going to list the stuff carrying over from the previous season, nor am I going to list one-shots, OVA's, and Movies, since those frequently don't get streamed (sadly). I'm also not listing stuff that looks to be little kids shows that doesn't have a streaming or simulcast site yet. If there's something you want added to the list though, let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

Crunchi-Funi Note – With the streaming deal between Crunchyroll and Funimation, Funimation seems to mostly be airing only the Simuldubs of stuff, and that anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks(or more) after the Sub airs. So I’m only going to bother listing Funimation links if they have something that Crunchyroll does not.

Thread Requests

These are not hard Thread Rules, but are general requests for users.
Spoiler: Show
  • The GATE Rule (aka Politics get ugly) – Some shows deal with touchy political and historical issues. Minor discussion as it relates to the show at hand is fine, but this is not the place for in depth discussions and arguments. If it’s getting heated or involved, please spin off a separate thread.
  • Say My Name! – When possible try and use the actual name of the show when you discuss a new episode. Cute nicknames for a show are amusing and welcome, but they can get confusing, especially if there are multiple shows with a similar premise airing. The OP for the thread will list the common English titles for shows, sometimes the Japanese, and if there’s a common and widely accepted Nickname, we’ll try and include that as well.
  • What is anime, really? – The definition of “What Is Anime?” is a complex one without a real answer, so let’s avoid it, shall we? This thread is generally for discussion of animation created and airing in Japan, but if it deviates a bit to Chinese, Korean, or even American animated shows in an anime style, that is fine, though lengthy discussions of individual shows should merit their own separate thread.
  • Spoilers? – The thread is here to discuss episodes as they air (or simulcast), so there will be spoilers in posts. However since not everyone gets to watch these as they air (due to personal scheduling or watching them a week later when CR has them for free members), it would be appreciated if Really Major Spoilers were put in an SBlock.

Useful Related Links:

As always, if you see something I've missed, or have a streaming service you'd like added, please let me know.

Crunchyroll Spring 2018 Lineup

• Amanchu! Advance (2nd Season) – Apr 7
  • Caligula – Apr 8
  • Comic Girls – Apr 5
  • Dances with the Dragons – Apr 6
  • Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis – Apr 10
  • Food Wars! The Third Plate - Totsuki Train Arc – Apr 9
  • Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory – Apr 13
  • Gegege no Kitarou – Apr 1
  • Golden Kamuy – Apr 9
  • Gundam Build Divers – Apr 3
  • Gurazeni: Money Pitch – Apr 6
  • High School DxD Hero – Apr 10
  • Hinamatsuri – Apr 6
  • Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits- - Apr 2
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis – Encounter – Apr 3
  • Lostorage conflated WIXOSS – Apr 7
  • Love to Lie Angle – Apr 4
  • Lupin the Third: Part 5 – Apr 4
  • Magical Girl Ore – Apr 2
  • Major 2nd – Apr 7
  • Megalo Box – Apr 6
  • My Hero Academia 3rd Season – Apr 7
  • My Sweet Tyrant – Apr 6
  • Ninja Girl & Samurai Master 3rd - Apr 6
  • Persona 5 the Animation – Apr 8
  • Space Battleship Tiramisu – Apr 3
  • Steins;Gate 0 – Apr 12
  • Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online – Apr 8
  • Uma Musume: Pretty Derby – Apr 2
  • You don't know Gunma yet. – Apr 2

Funimation Streaming

• Tokyo Ghoul:re – Apr 3

Animelab - Madman Australia

• Tokyo Ghoul:re
  • Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
  • Persona 5 The Animation
  • Steins;Gate 0
  • Gegege no Kitaro

HIDIVE

• Alice or Alice – Apr 4
  • Cutie Honey Universe – Apr 8
  • Devil's Line – Apr 7
  • Dorei-ku The Animation – Apr 14
  • Hozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season Part II – Apr 8
  • Real Girl – Apr 4
  • Tada Never Falls in Love – Apr 5

Amazon Prime (Strike is Dead!)

• Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World - Apr 13
  • Magical Girl Site – Apr 7
  • Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Love is Hard for Otaku) – Apr 13

Netflix Streaming

• A.I.C.O. Incarnation
  • Lost Song
  • The Perfect World of Kai

Anime Digital Network (France)

• Captain Tsubasa: The New Series
  • Dances with the Dragons
  • Devils' Line
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis – Encounter
  • Megalo Box
  • My Hero Academia 3rd Season
  • Tada Never Falls in Love

No Streaming yet (With official or estimated start date, if known)

• Aikatsu Friends - Apr 5
  • Butlers: A Millennium Century Story – Apr 12
  • Captain Tsubasa: The New Series – Apr 3
  • Cute High Earth Defense Club Happy Kiss! (3rd Season) – Apr 9
  • Hisone to Masotan – Apr 13
  • Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin – Apr 6
  • Juushinki Pandora – Apr 4
  • Jikken-hin Kazoku: Creatures Family Days – Apr 9
  • Kiratto Pri☆chan – Apr 8
  • LadySpo – Apr 10
  • Last Period: The Story of an Endless Spiral – Apr 12
  • Layton Mystery Detective Agency: Kat's Mystery-Solving File – Apr 8
  • Libra of Nil Admirari – Apr 8
  • Railroad Crossing Time – Apr 10
  • Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori – Apr 11
  • Sweet Punishment – Apr 2
  • The Piano Forest – Apr 9
  • The Young Innkeeper Is a Grade Schooler! – Apr 8
  • To Be Heroing – May 19

If anyone has anything to add, especially for streaming services outside the US (Viewster, Animax, and Animelab especially, since I can't reliably check their pages), please let me know and I'll add them to the pile. Thanks :)

And finally, all of our previous [General Anime] threads if you feel like reading back a few years. Thanks to Shay Guy for originally compiling this list!

1. 10-20-2012: General Anime thread (Quasar, 999 replies)
  2. 02-13-2013: It's not like I made this General Anime Thread for you, alright?.. Baka. (ru, 1,000 replies)
  3. 03-30-2013: My RPG.net Anime Thread Can't Be This General! (Ikselam, 998 replies)
  4. 05-14-2013: RPG.net's Bizarre Anime Thread: what a beautiful duwang (the_redstar_swl, 1,002 replies)
  5. 07-04-2013: RPGnet Masculine Beauty & General Anime Thread (Rand Brittain, 1,000 replies)
  6. 07-29-2013: RPG.net Swim Club and General Anime Thread (Dawgstar, 1,001 replies)
  7. 08-30-2013: Attack on RPG.net General Anime Thread: The CROWDS are Calling My Name (Dawgstar, 1,003 replies)
  8. 10-03-2013: General Anime Thread La General Anime Thread (Dawgstar, 1,002 replies)
  9. 11-01-2013: General Anime Thread: General Anime Thread is... (Ikselam, 998 replies)
  10. 12-17-2013: Is General Anime Thread the Cake? (Ikselam, 998 replies)
  11. 01-24-2014: [General Anime Thread] Living in the Database Wow Wow (Ikselam, 995 replies)
  12. 02-17-2014: [General Anime Thread] Make a Contract With Me and Become a General Anime Thread (Ikselam, 1,006 replies)
  13. 03-11-2014: [General Anime Thread]-kun: Master of Wasting Time (Alice Sara, 999 replies)
  14. 03-30-2014: [General Anime Thread] Less Ricky Schroder, More Silver Spoon (Dawgstar, 992 replies)
  15. 04-20-2014: [General Anime] We've Entered an Endless Recursion of General Anime Thread (Ikselam, 1,001 replies)
  16. 05-21-2014: [General Anime Thread] Still Anime is General (Bull, 988 replies)
  17. 07-01-2014: [General Anime][2014 Summer] My RPG.net General Anime Thread SNAFU (Ikselam, 2,192 replies)
  18. 09-26-2014: [General Anime][Fall 2014]A Certain Literary General Anime Thread (Bull, 2,734 replies)
  19. 01-02-2015: [General Anime][Winter 2015] Elect General Anime for Student Council President! (Bull, 2,526 replies)
  20. 04-02-2015: [General Anime][Spring 2015] General Anime has been rejected by the author. "Funny Story..." (Bull, 2,264 replies)
  21. 07-02-2015: [General Anime][Summer 2015] General Anime's Muscle Appreciation Thread (Bull, 2,755 replies)
  22. 10-01-2015: [General Anime]: Thus, rpg.net fought there (Bull, 2,284 replies)
  23. 01-02-2016: [General Anime][Winter 2016]: General Anime Thread is not Available in Your Region (Quasar, 2,239 replies)
  24. 04-01-2016: [General Anime][Spring 2016]General Anime Is Not Crash (Bull, 1,836 replies)
  25. 07-01-2016: [General Anime][Summer 2016] Too Big To Be Called A Thread (Bull, 1,850 replies)
  26. 10-01-2016: [General Anime][Fall 2016]It's not like I made this anime sequel for you or anything (Bull, 2251 replies)
  27. 01-04-2017: [General Anime][Winter 2017] Have you accepted Aqua as your personal saviour? (If so, WHY?) (Bull, 2458 replies)
  28. 04-01-2017: [General Anime][Spring 2017] Attack on General Anime!How to Raise a Boring General Anime (Bull, 2813 replies)
  29. 07-01-17: [General Anime][Summer 2017] has been Reincarnated as a Magical Girl Pop Idol in an Isekai! (Bull, 2460 replies)
  30. 10-01-17: [Spoilers] [Fall 2017] General Anime's Dystopian Road Trip! (Bull, 2045 replies)
  31. 01-02-2018: [General Anime Winter 2018] Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (In Antarctica!) (Bull, 3395 replies)

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This season has an unusually high number of things I'm tempted to look at. I adore Steins;Gate, so that's pretty much automatic. I've watched Tokyo Ghoul this far, so...in for a penny, in for a pound. The same goes with SAO.

I'm torn on Persona 5, as I still hold out hope that I might get around to the game, and having the major story beats spoiled in anime form seems like it wouldn't be the best idea.

Aside from those, there's a bunch that I'm at least curious about:

Devil's Line
Caligula
Golden Kamuy
Hinamatsuri
Mahou Shoujo Site
Dorei-ku The Animation
Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru: Dances with the Drago
Juushinki Pandora
Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou (Galactic Heroes)
Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
Souten no Ken: Regenesis
Lupin the Third: Part 5

Bafflement

Ruthless Sillographer
Validated User
On a side note their blog has them announcing their first co-production:

https://www.animelab.com/blog/animelab-to-produce-first-original-anime-series-battleseed-protocol-genesis/

Did not expect them to get into that kind of thing.
That's a really interesting new direction. I'd assumed they'd backed down on their efforts a bit in general due to the difficulty of competing with larger media companies, but backing a production themselves is quite ambitious, particularly since it also mentions them simultaneously organising a dub with Australian VAs.

chiasaur11

Validated User
Well, I'm definitely sticking with Franxx after this week. Gundam and Full Metal Panic at least get a look. Megalo Box sounds like it could be my kind of jam, MHA's probably going to be solid...

Yeah. Looks like I'm going to be booked solid.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
That's a really interesting new direction. I'd assumed they'd backed down on their efforts a bit in general due to the difficulty of competing with larger media companies, but backing a production themselves is quite ambitious, particularly since it also mentions them simultaneously organising a dub with Australian VAs.
An Australian dub will be interesting.

But yeah. The increasing competition with netflix, crunchyroll and others all trying to snap up global rights really has made it hard for them to get shows to simulcast. Its one reason why I had to pull out of subscribing. As it is anime is spread out across Crunchyroll, Funimation (for dubs), Netflix, Prime Video, HiDive and AnimeLab.

Last edited:

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Man, this is a deep season. And that’s without even considering the stuff from last season I still have to WIW.

Bafflement

Ruthless Sillographer
Validated User
An Australian dub will be interesting.
I'm glad they're giving it a try. I find the broad Southern-US accents that end up on a lot of English dubs quite difficult to listen to, so it'll be nice to get something different.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I'm glad they're giving it a try. I find the broad Southern-US accents that end up on a lot of English dubs quite difficult to listen to, so it'll be nice to get something different.
I do also wonder what impact there will be on translation.

Top Bottom