• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User

🌻 Welcome to the Summer 2019 General Anime Thread! 🌻

🌻 These seasonal threads tend to focus on currently airing anime, but you're welcome to post about anything anime or anime-adjacent, old or new. However, in the rare cases where discussion of a particular show becomes too overwhelming or too much of a hot-button topic, it may be preferred to move that discussion to a show-specific thread. We also have a thread specifically for non-current anime.

🌻 Please note that we do not have much of a spoiler policy here - avoid spoiling major things you may know about upcoming episodes if you are familiar with the source material for an adaptation, but otherwise, most anything goes. Try to be considerate, but also expect unmarked spoilers for anything that's aired. If you would prefer a more restrictive policy, you can find one in the thread for non-current anime.

🌻 Using a commonly recognized name for the show you're talking about is helpful - it's not required, but in the past we've had issues with overly-clever names leading to confusion among threadgoers who aren't familiar with any given show.

Useful links:
  • LiveChart lists all the anime for each season, with links to where each can be streamed, along with trailers and official websites and more.
  • because.moe offers easy lookup of where you can stream any anime in various regions.
  • Sakuga Blog delves into the craft of anime and highlights the creators working behind the scenes.

Related threads:

All previous threads:
Spoiler: Show

1. 10-20-2012: General Anime thread (Quasar, 999 replies)
  2. 02-13-2013: It's not like I made this General Anime Thread for you, alright?.. Baka. (ru, 1,000 replies)
  3. 03-30-2013: My RPG.net Anime Thread Can't Be This General! (Ikselam, 998 replies)
  4. 05-14-2013: RPG.net's Bizarre Anime Thread: what a beautiful duwang (the_redstar_swl, 1,002 replies)
  5. 07-04-2013: RPGnet Masculine Beauty & General Anime Thread (Rand Brittain, 1,000 replies)
  6. 07-29-2013: RPG.net Swim Club and General Anime Thread (Dawgstar, 1,001 replies)
  7. 08-30-2013: Attack on RPG.net General Anime Thread: The CROWDS are Calling My Name (Dawgstar, 1,003 replies)
  8. 10-03-2013: General Anime Thread La General Anime Thread (Dawgstar, 1,002 replies)
  9. 11-01-2013: General Anime Thread: General Anime Thread is... (Ikselam, 998 replies)
  10. 12-17-2013: Is General Anime Thread the Cake? (Ikselam, 998 replies)
  11. 01-24-2014: [General Anime Thread] Living in the Database Wow Wow (Ikselam, 995 replies)
  12. 02-17-2014: [General Anime Thread] Make a Contract With Me and Become a General Anime Thread (Ikselam, 1,006 replies)
  13. 03-11-2014: [General Anime Thread]-kun: Master of Wasting Time (Alice Sara, 999 replies)
  14. 03-30-2014: [General Anime Thread] Less Ricky Schroder, More Silver Spoon (Dawgstar, 992 replies)
  15. 04-20-2014: [General Anime] We've Entered an Endless Recursion of General Anime Thread (Ikselam, 1,001 replies)
  16. 05-21-2014: [General Anime Thread] Still Anime is General (Bull, 988 replies)
  17. 07-01-2014: [General Anime][2014 Summer] My RPG.net General Anime Thread SNAFU (Ikselam, 2,192 replies)
  18. 09-26-2014: [General Anime][Fall 2014]A Certain Literary General Anime Thread (Bull, 2,734 replies)
  19. 01-02-2015: [General Anime][Winter 2015] Elect General Anime for Student Council President! (Bull, 2,526 replies)
  20. 04-02-2015: [General Anime][Spring 2015] General Anime has been rejected by the author. "Funny Story..." (Bull, 2,264 replies)
  21. 07-02-2015: [General Anime][Summer 2015] General Anime's Muscle Appreciation Thread (Bull, 2,755 replies)
  22. 10-01-2015: [General Anime]: Thus, rpg.net fought there (Bull, 2,284 replies)
  23. 01-02-2016: [General Anime][Winter 2016]: General Anime Thread is not Available in Your Region (Quasar, 2,239 replies)
  24. 04-01-2016: [General Anime][Spring 2016]General Anime Is Not Crash (Bull, 1,836 replies)
  25. 07-01-2016: [General Anime][Summer 2016] Too Big To Be Called A Thread (Bull, 1,850 replies)
  26. 10-01-2016: [General Anime][Fall 2016]It's not like I made this anime sequel for you or anything (Bull, 2251 replies)
  27. 01-04-2017: [General Anime][Winter 2017] Have you accepted Aqua as your personal saviour? (If so, WHY?) (Bull, 2458 replies)
  28. 04-01-2017: [General Anime][Spring 2017] Attack on General Anime!How to Raise a Boring General Anime (Bull, 2813 replies)
  29. 07-01-2017: [General Anime][Summer 2017] has been Reincarnated as a Magical Girl Pop Idol in an Isekai! (Bull, 2460 replies)
  30. 10-01-2017: [Spoilers] [Fall 2017] General Anime's Dystopian Road Trip! (Bull, 2045 replies)
  31. 01-02-2018: [General Anime Winter 2018] Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (In Antarctica!) (Bull, 3398 replies)
  32. 03-31-2018: [General Anime Spring 2018] This Season Lineup Can't Be This Fake! (Bull, 2325 replies)
  33. 07-01-2018: [General Anime Summer 2018] Hurray, Hurray, General Anime Thread! (Fae, 1367 replies)
  34. 09-30-2018: [General Anime Fall 2018] General Anime goes fishing for bananas, in space! (Fae, 1424 replies)
  35. 01-01-2019: [General Anime Winter 2019] Penguins Are Never a Coincidence (Fae, 1375 replies)
  36. 04-01-2019: [General Anime Spring 2019] I Like Shorts! They're Comfy and Easy to Watch! (Fae, 959+ replies)

By the way, if you're wondering about the thread title, there's a certain show airing this season that some of us are anticipating very much:

Last edited:

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Will our heroine finally get named moves with cut-ins? Will our heroine's friend actually become a rock concert girl?

Subscribed :3

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Well, looking over at anichart it looks like my shortlist of things (assuming I have access) looks like:

DanMachi S2
Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
Vinland Saga
Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki desu ka?
- what a mouthfull?
Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. - Mari Okada script so I'm there
Uchi no Ko no Tame Naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru Kamo Shirenai.
Given
- its a music anime
Joshikousei no Mudazukai - I think mostly because Haruka Tomatsu, who I like, is voicing what appears to be the main protagonist. Plus it seems to have enough quirk for me.

Will steer clear of Kochoki: Wakaki Nobunaga. Shows featuring Nobunaga have a bad rep at the best of times, let along this looking like Nobunaga: the Wonder Years.

Probably also won't watch Accelerator. Despite liking the Index-verse, I really never liked Accelerator so a show about him would seem a tough pill to swallow.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
I'm real curious about Granbelm:

PV1, PV2

It's... magical girl mecha? It's an original, so I have no idea how it'll turn out, but it sure looks good. Notably, it's from the same writer as A Place Further Than the Universe (and many other works). The director previously did Wakaba*Girl and Re:Zero, but I haven't seen either of those.

Tiran

Validated User
I'm gonna do what I did the last couple of seasons and give everything that's not a continuation of a show i haven't seen, or a show aimed at little kids and try out the first episode. I expect to drop most of them

Vinland Saga is the one I'm most interested in.

I still need to go back and catch up on what I started the last season though.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
This will be an interesting season. A bunch of Isekai shows, which are right up my alley. Though two give me pause...

Isekai with Mom (aka Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?)-- I read a FanTrans of the first light novel for this a while back out of curiosity, and it's... weird. Definitely catering to the "Oedipus Fetish" crowd, I think. Nothing overt, but a bit creepy. I imagine the anime will only amplify this since we'll actually see Sexy Mom on screen for much of it.

Demon Daughter (aka For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord) -- For this one, I expect the anime to be cute and adorable, since I'm not certain how far into the series a 1-cour season will get. But J-Novel has been translating this one, and I read the first bunch of novels, and...

Spoiler: Show
The series kinda pulls an Usagi Drop because the series takes place over a number of years (With a big time skip at one point). The little girl is only his adopted daughter, but she crushes on him hard and it never goes away. And once she grows up... *sigh* It would be one thing if he didn't encounter her till she was in her teens and just took care of her for a few years, but she's like 5 or something when he finds her. So I Find the whole thing kinda creepy. But the first few novels were adorable, which makes it all the more tragic. :/

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. - Mari Okada script so I'm there
It looked interesting anyway, but Okada's script makes it a lock, yeah.

Past that I have no idea. DanMachi, some continuing stuff. I'll probably wait for word of mouth on the rest.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are no less than four new isekai shows this season :
- Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
- Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
- Isekai Cheat Magician
- Maou-sama, Retry!

(I initially thought If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord was a fifth one, but apparently it's just "normal" fantasy.)

We've also got a "trapped in a deadly videogame" entry with The Ones Within (aka Nakanohito Genome [Jikkyouchuu]).

Meanwhile, on the "maybe a troubled production" front, there's Try Knights, which still doesn't have an official premiere date at this stage. That it comes from zombie studio Gonzo doesn't inspire too much confidence either...

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Oh there's more. Cop Craft is supposed to be this season, should be second week of July. I'm definitely catching this one and hoping it scratches the fantasy police procedural itch left behind when Occult Civil Servants ended its run. It's also an uncommon instance of a reverse isekai too.

====

Demon Lord Retry
is fun as hell, in a way that our isekai protagonist is intentionally designed to not match the setting he ends up in. There will be shenanigans similar to How Not To Summon a Demon Lord.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
There are no less than four new isekai shows this season :
- Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
- Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
- Isekai Cheat Magician
- Maou-sama, Retry!
Very much the season of Isekai. I'm looking forward to three of these, and will probably watch the fourth (Isekai Mom) just to watch the trainwreck that the show is likely to be.

(I initially thought If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord was a fifth one, but apparently it's just "normal" fantasy.)
Yup. Not even any levels or stats or anything, IIRC.

We've also got a "trapped in a deadly videogame" entry with The Ones Within (aka Nakanohito Genome [Jikkyouchuu]).
If this is the same series I'm thinking of, I read a bit of the Manga a while back, and it's not quite a video game, kinda sorta? It was unclear exactly where they were, and there were some semi-magical or mystical shenanigans going on, but it was more of a Reality TV Game Show thing. Basically, capture a bunch of Twitch/YouTube game streamers, and then force them to play games. I'm not even sure how deadly it actually is.

Top Bottom