• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Danmachi S2 #1: happy claps! Happy claps for the couple! Hermes, you're a champion wingman and I love you. Also...

Apollo...

That was not the face of consent.

Bicorn

Validated User
Crunchyroll is really trying its paying customers' patience. Now they went and forced a takedown of the third-party player which had all the useful features their own html5 player lacks, and which they don't seem to be in any hurry to actually add.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Do You Love Your Mum 1 - Well that did amuse me. Not sure for how long it will though.

Was a mistake though to not hire Kikuko Inoue as Mamako. Though Ai Kayano isnt bad.

Last edited:

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What is it people find so horrible about Crunchy's player? For me the only downside is the fact that the pause button is disabled when I rewind or fast-forward. But that's more than offset by the fact that it has all of its anime offerings sorted by season and available on a single tab by default. With Hulu or Amazon finding a title, even one they carry, can be a pain in the ass, and I've yet to find a way to see what they're offering in a given season at a glance. They have better players (well, skipping around doesn't disable the pause button, anyway), but overall they don't seem to be better value for the money IMO.

Am I missing something?

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Crunchyroll is really trying its paying customers' patience. Now they went and forced a takedown of the third-party player which had all the useful features their own html5 player lacks, and which they don't seem to be in any hurry to actually add.
What sort of features? I imagine most folks use apps (I know I do) so I guess a web player is way down the priority list.

I imagine 3rd party players either weaken drm, block ads or inhibit tracking plays. All of which I’m sure are required as part of their licensing deals.

Bicorn

Validated User
What sort of features? I imagine most folks use apps (I know I do) so I guess a web player is way down the priority list.
Turning off autoplay, settings that actually stay between sessions instead of resetting to defaults, turning off subtitles, not having obstructing UI elements pop up when you're trying to take a screenshot, just to mention a few.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Turning off autoplay, settings that actually stay between sessions instead of resetting to defaults, turning off subtitles, not having obstructing UI elements pop up when you're trying to take a screenshot, just to mention a few.
Huh. I don't use any of that, probably because I watch exclusively on my phone vs. my laptop. But I get where you're coming from; some of those do sound annoying, depending on what you're trying to do with the service.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Huh. I don't use any of that, probably because I watch exclusively on my phone vs. my laptop. But I get where you're coming from; some of those do sound annoying, depending on what you're trying to do with the service.
I pretty much exclusively watch on my TV, with an ocassional watch on my iPad or desktop. But it’s 99% using the AppleTV app.

I thought I had in the past taken screenshots when using the web player though with no fuss.

Bicorn

Validated User
I thought I had in the past taken screenshots when using the web player though with no fuss.
See, here's the problem. When the page is paused, a play sign pops out in the middle of the screen if you press any keys. Including the Alt key you need to have pressed to printscreen only the active window.
So the choices become:
- try to catch the right moment with a screencap while the video is playing
- screencapping the whole screen and cropping it in an editor
- having your screencap look like this:
Spoiler: Show

It's a minor thing, but still an annoyance - a phrase that characterises the majority of my problems with Crunchy in general and its player in particular. When enough of those easily fixable problems that they don't seem to have any interest in fixing pile up, it starts to grate a bit.

Though, I have to admit they do sometimes get around to fixing annoying things - for example, they eventually got rid of the "Exclusive stream for <username>" watermark. So maybe they will fix these things too, but they seem to be taking their sweet time with it.

Last edited:

MABfan11

Validated User
DanMachi/Picking Up Girls in a Dungeon II #0 - It's a recap/clip show. Although given it's been four years, and we had Sword Oratia in the mean time, I can't grumble too much. And I admit I'd forgotten a few pertinent things.

I have missed Hestia though. She's both awful and wonderful at the same time

(edited because I mistook it for the first episode of season two, and not a bridging episode)
Aiz is best girl though, she's so adorably awkward. and Loki is always fun (fitting for the god of mischief)

Accelerator episode 1:
Accelerator is back and ready to show people why he is the #1 ranked esper in Academy City. get your battleboards ready

Granbelm episode 2:

that redheaded girl keeps reminding me about Priscilla (Re:Zero), while i'm getting strong Madoka and Homura vibes from our MCs. the black haired one also seems to have some trauma she's hiding

Top Bottom