• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
See, here's the problem. When the page is paused, a play sign pops out in the middle of the screen if you press any keys. Including the Alt key you need to have pressed to printscreen only the active window.
So the choices become:
- try to catch the right moment with a screencap while the video is playing
- screencapping the whole screen and cropping it in an editor
- having your screencap look like this:

It's a minor thing, but still an annoyance - a phrase that characterises the majority of my problems with Crunchy in general and its player in particular. When enough of those easily fixable problems that they don't seem to have any interest in fixing pile up, it starts to grate a bit.
If you're on Windows 10, you can also use Game Bar to take screencaps without the onscreen controls popping up. Or more accurately, take a screencap once they've faded back out after popping up in response to you pressing your hotkey to bring up Game Bar (assuming you're triggering it through the keyboard and not an actual Xbox controller).

It's a little bit roundabout and not as convenient as having a player with a built-in frame grab function, but it does work. Heck, you could use it to record the screen as you watch the episode, and then take caps at your leisure in your offline player of choice.

Bicorn

Validated User
If you're on Windows 10, you can also use Game Bar to take screencaps without the onscreen controls popping up. Or more accurately, take a screencap once they've faded back out after popping up in response to you pressing your hotkey to bring up Game Bar (assuming you're triggering it through the keyboard and not an actual Xbox controller).
I use Windows 7 on my main machine, but I'll try that out on my laptop.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
Granbelm #02 - just two episodes in and already we have one of the leads waking up naked in the other's bed.

...not like that. Well, not yet, at least. Choosing to have Shingetsu demonstrate magic by making a pot of lilies bloom is not the most subtle of hinting. (The lilies on Mangetsu's rug were slightly more subtle.)

You know what Granbelm does super well? Atmosphere. The lighting and sound and framing shift dramatically, always conveying a strong mood. That aspect is very like Madoka. And while this could have been a light-hearted expository episode after last week's spectacle, it wasn't just that; things went back and forth between light and dark quite a bit.

Mangetsu fits within the pink magical girl archetype, but compared to someone like Madoka, there's something a bit off about her. She's more... empty. It's not just that she doesn't have anything she's good at; it's that that feeling has grown into a deep despair, hiding just below the surface. She's self-sacrificing to a harmful degree not because of a drive to help people, but simply a desire to be noticed, to be anything at all. That quiet wish is the only thing pushing her on.

And yeah, Mangetsu is somehow freakishly powerful. Shingetsu could easily make potted flowers bloom, but having such overflowing power that merely trying to express emotion causes flowers to grow from the pavement in a wide area is a miracle in comparison.

There were a lot of beautiful scenes this episode, but that one had to be the most gorgeous.

...seriously, this show is so incredibly good 💖💖💖

As for the plot: this iteration of the war having only started up recently explains why none of the contestants had been knocked out before Mangetsu arrived. We've also now seen all of them back in the regular world, some in pretty interesting places.

Mangetsu: no hint of any connection to mages as far as Shingetsu can find, but somehow she's here and she's not leaving.

Shingetsu: transferred to Mangetsu's school to stay close to her. Kind and friendly, but still mysterious.

Rosa (short hair): broken crystal, out of the battle. Got kicked out of Anna's place, at night, in the rain, because these are not nice people. Might still be desperate enough to prove herself that she'll try attacking the others outside of the battlefield? I doubt her role in the story is over.

Anna: so angry she literally stands in ice water to try to cool herself down, to little effect. Particularly hates Shingetsu for some reason. Seems to be trying to warn Mangetsu away from Shingetsu?

Suishou (blue hair): Anna's remaining flunky. Cheerful and obedient, but, well... Anna was just angry and cruel towards Rosa. Suishou was downright gleeful with her taunting. I do not trust her one bit.

Nene (brown hair): the one who tried to bombard the others from a distance. We only saw a second of her in battle, and she looks comparatively plain, so I didn't notice this right away, but she's Mangetsu's sister's friend at school. Might actually be an adult with the body of a middle schooler?

Kuon (white hair): we didn't see her at all in the battle, did we? But she was hanging around quietly watching Mangetsu and Shingetsu this episode. She's also in the same school as Mangetsu's little sister. I don't know if Nene or Kuon have some kind of alliance, or if it's just coincidence that they're near each other.

There's a lot we don't know about them, but somehow, I doubt Anna is going to be nastiest of the lot.

(I mean, the next episode preview shows Kuon making a move on Mangetsu's sister, for starters...)

Last edited:

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What is it people find so horrible about Crunchy's player? For me the only downside is the fact that the pause button is disabled when I rewind or fast-forward. But that's more than offset by the fact that it has all of its anime offerings sorted by season and available on a single tab by default. With Hulu or Amazon finding a title, even one they carry, can be a pain in the ass, and I've yet to find a way to see what they're offering in a given season at a glance. They have better players (well, skipping around doesn't disable the pause button, anyway), but overall they don't seem to be better value for the money IMO.

Am I missing something?
Well, you are talking about the Crunchyroll app while BiCorn was talking about a Chrome and Firefox extension. Crunchyroll has its own html5 player embedded at the Crunchyroll webpage that you see if you go to their site via a desktop or laptop. This html5 player sucks. For me it just plain doesn't work. No error message, just a blank space like it's not even loading. Even for people for whom the embedded player works it sucks, though since I can't use the official html5 player I can't give a direct comparison.

Having the third party html5 player disabled forced me to figure out how to reinstall it manually, wasting half an hour that I could spend watching anime. Because the official CR html5 player doesn't work for me, I had to use the third party html5 player.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Well, you are talking about the Crunchyroll app while BiCorn was talking about a Chrome and Firefox extension. Crunchyroll has its own html5 player embedded at the Crunchyroll webpage that you see if you go to their site via a desktop or laptop. This html5 player sucks. For me it just plain doesn't work. No error message, just a blank space like it's not even loading. Even for people for whom the embedded player works it sucks, though since I can't use the official html5 player I can't give a direct comparison.

Having the third party html5 player disabled forced me to figure out how to reinstall it manually, wasting half an hour that I could spend watching anime. Because the official CR html5 player doesn't work for me, I had to use the third party html5 player.
I kind of imagine these days the HTML5 player is whats under the hood of the apps too, just with a different interface and some tweaks.

I wonder how it just doesn't work for some people. People using other extensions that interfere with it? weird offshoots of Chromium? It is HTML5 that any modern browser should be able to handle.

It seems to even work for me in the newest of browsers, Chromium-Edge Dev build. And heres an attempt at a screenshot not manually edited in Chromium-Edge.

Last edited:

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Fire Force (Anime) #2

Featuring absolutely no fourth wall at all.

Oi, stop putting those poor flame sprites out! They're doing nothing wrong! :X

Spoiler: Show
This show is really good at mood whiplash I think. It looked like the SHC victim of the week may have been sane enough to tell his own daughter to call the brigade on himself.

Davies

Validated User
Yeah, no. Thankfully our MC's mom is decent and not one of those cliched Chinese ones that keep countermanding their kids even when their kids are already over 30.
She is, however, just the tiniest bit manipulative. And by "the tiniest bit" I mean "extremely".

But damn she's cute.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
She is, however, just the tiniest bit manipulative. And by "the tiniest bit" I mean "extremely".

But damn she's cute.
Funny. I just thought the MC was a shit and pretty damn mean to his mum (but then I guess that's expected out of a 15 year old). And the show overall is a bit mean to mums. Well that first episode was.

Still surprised though that Kikuko Inoue did not get hired.

Top Bottom