• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
I like the characters and animation in El-Molloi Case Files, but I'm thinking that doing one magical mystery per 20 minute episode isn't serving the show well, because the solution to each mystery involves infodumping a lot of lore about magic at the end, rather than slowly doling them out organically and then revealing an answer that makes sense based on info the viewer already had.

Pandora Caitiff

Goblin Princess
Validated User
Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? 02 (Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she’s a cutie?)

This second episode flowed much better compared to the first one, and while our MC-kun is still kind of bland at least he's not annoying. He goes on a date with another school club member, and is treated to another unexpected fetish revelation that lands him in a very awkward situation.
Spoiler: Show

TBF, the series did put 'Hentai' right there in the title. :whistle: More disturbing than her rough treatment of the protagonist though was actually his buddy, who unabashedly calls himself "follower of the way of the Lolita". That gave me some unwanted flashbacks to a certain Gyaru anime.
What's Yotsuba Nakano doing in this show? ;)

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
El-Melloi II Case Files - Episode 2

I think calling this Dresden Files: the Anime may not be far off the mark.
I can't really agree with this. The Dresden Files is unabashed hard-boiled/noir, complete with the part where the protagonist gets the shit beaten out of him and the bittersweet, compromised victory at the end. So far, El-Melloi is more in the cozy tradition (despite gruesomeness of the crime...), though really it's probably closer to Sherlock Holmes, the progenitor of cozies, but having some significant differences (notably an ending that's more "Sherlock pulls clues out of his ass" than "so now you see the significance of what was in front of your eyes the whole time").

Overall, my current formulation is something like "Sherlock Holmes in the world of Harry Potter... with a splash of Game of Thrones..."

I like the characters and animation in El-Molloi Case Files, but I'm thinking that doing one magical mystery per 20 minute episode isn't serving the show well, because the solution to each mystery involves infodumping a lot of lore about magic at the end, rather than slowly doling them out organically and then revealing an answer that makes sense based on info the viewer already had.
Well, part of the problem is that, with most of the magical system unknown to new viewers, you're going to have to dump a lot of info on the viewers. You can do this in dribs and drabs, or dump it all at the end... but without a firm grasp on the system, even laying out all the clues in advance will probably leave the author dropping something novel in how they all come together. It's very hard to really do a "fair play" magical mystery because, even if you ignore Rule 2 ("All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course."), the ending is almost always going to amount to the magical equivalent of breaking Rule 4 ("No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end."). I guess if you establish very firm and limited rules for how magic works in the setting, you might be able to pull it off, especially if you have a lot of other works in the setting. But my impression is that surprise asspulls are the quintessence of magic in the Fate/ setting, so...

Still stretching out the narrative could have other benefits. This mystery had the outline of a classic Agatha Christie work: four potential suspects in an English country home, each with a plausible motive... But in Christie's formula, they'd each have their time in the spotlight, with all clues pointing to them, before getting new evidence that apparently exonerates them, leading to the reveal... Instead we kind of just brush past the suspects and onto the reveal. The ending seemed to suggest that the daughter and the maid were in a relationship... I suspect that might have been a complication in the book that they didn't know how to incorporate into shortened version in the show.

And when it comes to exposition, I'll give them this: I did get a smile out of the bit where Waver gives his complicated occult spiel about planets and body parts and gets told "yes, of course, that's basic knowledge in our arcane tradition, even a child could have told us that. If it were that simple, we'd have solved it ourselves." Mind you, I get the impression that both the daughter and the necromancer had figured it out, they just needed to make a mystery of it to avoid admitting what they knew... and to get someone else to do the clean-up...

Old Toby
Least Known Dog on the Net

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Fire Force #2: Well. I think I know my favorite character this season. Maki is a delightful mix of competent ass kicking, and girly interior.
there are quite a few candidates for Best Girl in this series (having binged the entire manga today), and the upshot is, there's nobody whose thing is "sex pest"

Bicorn

Validated User
Gigguk's video has a pretty good way of getting into it, though the Index anime rushes through a lot of the source material
The third season especially felt at times like it would have needed twice as many episodes to tell the story in an understandable manner.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
I can't really agree with this. The Dresden Files is unabashed hard-boiled/noir, complete with the part where the protagonist gets the shit beaten out of him and the bittersweet, compromised victory at the end. So far, El-Melloi is more in the cozy tradition (despite gruesomeness of the crime...), though really it's probably closer to Sherlock Holmes, the progenitor of cozies, but having some significant differences (notably an ending that's more "Sherlock pulls clues out of his ass" than "so now you see the significance of what was in front of your eyes the whole time").
Ehh, I will say about Episode 2..
as soon as the guy's cigarette smoke interacted with the magical seal and caused him to be brutally killed, I immediately figured that the "victim" was actually the killer, as part of some magical ritual, this is urban fantasy and people pull weird shit like that. I just didn't have the knowledge to explain the intuitive leap.

Davies

Validated User
Sometimes, in mysteries, particularly supernatural mysteries, the best solve is to assume the least likely solution to be correct.
And so a dismembered corpse must be a suicide.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
The third season especially felt at times like it would have needed twice as many episodes to tell the story in an understandable manner.
Yeah. I had no issue with prior seasons but season 3 had way too much story in it to work in a comprehensile manner.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
there are quite a few candidates for Best Girl in this series (having binged the entire manga today), and the upshot is, there's nobody whose thing is "sex pest"
As of where I'm at, Tamaki is gunning for that title really hard.

ed: sex pest that is, not best girl

Last edited:

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
The other weakness of the Case Files of El-Melloi II is that I can't help but keep thinking about how much more fun it would be if Iskandar showed up. Granted, that's basically what Waver's thinking too, but he's not wrong.

Top Bottom