• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Get your mind out of the gutter. Mamako is pure as pure can be.

But yeah, Medhimamma is the worst stage-mum ever.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Where are you getting any of this from?
The text of the show we’ve been given thus far. Anna craves undeserved power — that’s what narcissism is, by definition — and her current state isn’t due to the trick so much as everyone else tiptoeing around her out of fear of crushing her with an unpleasant truth. If Shingetsu and their mother were more ruthless in the beginning this might have been avoided, but instead they were human beings so here we are. And lo, now we have Anna the murderer and Shingetsu stuck cleaning up her mess.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Get your mind out of the gutter. Mamako is pure as pure can be.

But yeah, Medhimamma is the worst stage-mum ever.
She was waiting for him under the tree! I’ve seen anime, I know what trees mean!

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
The text of the show we’ve been given thus far. Anna craves undeserved power — that’s what narcissism is, by definition — and her current state isn’t due to the trick so much as everyone else tiptoeing around her out of fear of crushing her with an unpleasant truth. If Shingetsu and their mother were more ruthless in the beginning this might have been avoided, but instead they were human beings so here we are. And lo, now we have Anna the murderer and Shingetsu stuck cleaning up her mess.
Frankly, this seems like an utterly bizarre reading to me. Do you think every kid who says they want to be president, or the best singer in the world, or such, is a narcissist? Yeah, Anna was proud of her ability as a kid and was aiming to be the best - that's what kids do. That's not the slightest bit narcissistic.

As she got older, she started craving "undeserved" power because those around her gaslit her into believing she deserved it, while also denying her that power for reasons they refused to explain. Becoming unstable in such a situation is not a sign of preexisting mental illness.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Frankly, this seems like an utterly bizarre reading to me. Do you think every kid who says they want to be president, or the best singer in the world, or such, is a narcissist? Yeah, Anna was proud of her ability as a kid and was aiming to be the best - that's what kids do. That's not the slightest bit narcissistic.

As she got older, she started craving "undeserved" power because those around her gaslit her into believing she deserved it, while also denying her that power for reasons they refused to explain. Becoming unstable in such a situation is not a sign of preexisting mental illness.
If they become a literal axe murderer because they don't get what they want, then yeah, they're a narcissist.

Also, Suishou's the only one who's been gaslighting her. Shingetsu and their mom were just indulging a fragile kid with delusions of grandeur, which is not the same thing.

Simply put, Anna is not a sympathetic character, and she won't become one no matter how you try to spin it.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
If they become a literal axe murderer because they don't get what they want, then yeah, they're a narcissist.
You say she's been a narcissist all her life, but then keep citing things that happened after the events that destabilized her as evidence.

And I disagree quite strongly with that "murder is proof of narcissism" assertation.

a fragile kid with delusions of grandeur
...delusions of grandeur now, too? Where are you getting that one from? Because she said she'll become the best mage? Again, that's what kids do.

Simply put, Anna is not a sympathetic character, and she won't become one no matter how you try to spin it.
"Sympathetic" is not an objectively defined trait that will be the same for every viewer, and I do find her quite sympathetic myself, thank you very much. I'm not writing about her as some bizarre form of propaganda.

sarellion

Validated User
You'd think that with fascinations of fantasyland's more humanoid critters being common, the sex trafficking and theft would be from the other side, not from ours.

(That said, with all the racism about I can only imagine sex and vice being one of the few opportunities for immigrants left. :X)
There was at least one magazine with a cover featuring a semanian.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
You'd think that with fascinations of fantasyland's more humanoid critters being common, the sex trafficking and theft would be from the other side, not from ours.
Considering the 80s Cop themes, and that they're on the vice squad, I suspect this will come up at some point or another.

Also, those poor cars. They didnt deserve this.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You say she's been a narcissist all her life, but then keep citing things that happened after the events that destabilized her as evidence.
The problem here is that you're assuming she became a narcissist because people fucked with her for kicks, while I'm assuming they did what they could to manage her and failed miserably. IOW the trick Shingetsu pulled wasn't something they did for shits and giggles, it was something they did because Anna was already intolerable, and this was one way they might have given her enough that she'd be satisfied. But it backfired, and she demanded more and more and more, and here we are.

Shingetsu and her mother had no reason whatsoever to treat Anna poorly initially. She wasn't fit to be a mage, but that's why Shingetsu was there in the first place. Problem solved. If Anna had the temperament of her sister all would be well. But she didn't; she wanted to be put first, and would not recognize the fact that she had no magical talent to speak of (and couldn't replicate that trick on her own), and started taking it out on the people around her. That's a problem with her, not with the people around her. The fact they handled that problem poorly made a bad situation worse, but it doesn't make them responsible for the matter.

And I disagree quite strongly with that "murder is proof of narcissism" assertation.
Narcissism aside, it is a completely irrational response to the events we've seen unfold onscreen. That violent response comes from a sense of entitlement. It's not like she was defending herself or something.

...delusions of grandeur now, too? Where are you getting that one from? Because she said she'll become the best mage? Again, that's what kids do.
Nothing about Anna's behavior is "what kids do." Wanting to be the best mage is something kids do, but assaulting others when they don't toady up isn't. Neither is murdering their parents when they're disappointed.

Top Bottom