• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

sarellion

Validated User
IOW the trick Shingetsu pulled wasn't something they did for shits and giggles, it was something they did because Anna was already intolerable, and this was one way they might have given her enough that she'd be satisfied. But it backfired, and she demanded more and more and more, and here we are.
There´s no indication that Shingetsu helping her it, was more than a spur in the moment thing. I doubt that Anna would have told her mum and I am not sure that Shingetsu knew what Anna was planning to do, until they were at the pyre. It´s possible that Anna told Shingetsu beforehandand she told Anna´s mum, but there´s nothing backing up that conclusion. Anna´s mum really doesn´t win any mum of the year award but I doubt she would have let the three girls go off on their own, playing with a huge fire and high powered magic. In that case they least she would probably go with them to supervise (and bring a few fire extinguishers), then go "oh you are such a good girl" when the spell succeeds.

Shingetsu and her mother had no reason whatsoever to treat Anna poorly initially. She wasn't fit to be a mage, but that's why Shingetsu was there in the first place. Problem solved. If Anna had the temperament of her sister all would be well. But she didn't; she wanted to be put first, and would not recognize the fact that she had no magical talent to speak of (and couldn't replicate that trick on her own), and started taking it out on the people around her. That's a problem with her, not with the people around her. The fact they handled that problem poorly made a bad situation worse, but it doesn't make them responsible for the matter.
Yeah. I am wondering a bit about this Anna is a weak mage thing though. She stayed in the battle for a year and the times she got in trouble was when she went berserk. Ok she had two other mages as backup but it didn´t look like they were fighting as a team much. Also Shisui´s support isn´t worth anything, she regularly noped out or fled unless she thought she has the upper hand. Nene camped for a year, gathering data. You don´t need to be the most awesomest mage ever to win the tournament, you just need to be the last one standing who sniped the second last in the back when she´s exhausted from battle and her Armanox damaged. Or, in case you are ruthless enough, wait out the battle, assassinate the sole other contender in the real world (ok, I assume both would go into real deep hiding at that point) and then show up the next full moon as the sole contender. Also Granbelm isn´t an arena like tournament intent on mimizing every other factor besides personal skill, but a FFA fight in various terrains. If her mum had been more open and they had concentrated on a vable strategy, covering for Anna´s weakness in the raw power department, Anna would have a good shot at victory and I assume it doesn´t matter that much that your magic power is lacking after you claimed the prize. It´s access to all the sealed magic in the world after all.

Nothing about Anna's behavior is "what kids do." Wanting to be the best mage is something kids do, but assaulting others when they don't toady up isn't. Neither is murdering their parents when they're disappointed.
Weren´t you both talking about little Anna as a kid at first? Like little Anna was already a narcissist etc.

Last edited:

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There´s no indication that Shingetsu helping her it, was more than a spur in the moment thing. I doubt that Anna would have told her mum and I am not sure that Shingetsu knew what Anna was planning to do, until they were at the pyre. It´s possible that Anna told Shingetsu beforehandand she told Anna´s mum, but there´s nothing backing up that conclusion. Anna´s mum really doesn´t win any mum of the year award but I doubt she would have let the three girls go off on their own, playing with a huge fire and high powered magic. In that case they least she would probably go with them to supervise (and bring a few fire extinguishers), then go "oh you are such a good girl" when the spell succeeds.

Yeah. I am wondering a bit about this Anna is a weak mage thing though. She stayed in the battle for a year and the times she got in trouble was when she went berserk. Ok she had two other mages as backup but it didn´t look like they were fighting as a team much. Also Shisui´s support isn´t worth anything, she regularly noped out or fled unless she thought she has the upper hand. Nene camped for a year, gathering data. You don´t need to be the most awesomest mage ever to win the tournament, you just need to be the last one standing who sniped the second last in the back when she´s exhausted from battle and her Armanox damaged. Or, in case you are ruthless enough, wait out the battle, assassinate the sole other contender in the real world (ok, I assume both would go into real deep hiding at that point) and then show up the next full moon as the sole contender. Also Granbelm isn´t an arena like tournament intent on mimizing every other factor besides personal skill, but a FFA fight in various terrains. If her mum had been more open and they had concentrated on a vable strategy, covering for Anna´s weakness in the raw power department, Anna would have a good shot at victory and I assume it doesn´t matter that much that your magic power is lacking after you claimed the prize. It´s access to all the sealed magic in the world after all.

Weren´t you both talking about little Anna as a kid at first? Like little Anna was already a narcissist etc.
Yeah, I’m also puzzled by the fact that Anna’s participating in the Granbelm when she’s supposedly a weak mage. I could buy the notion that Suisho was helping her somehow, but that would suggest that Anna knew all along she had no magical talent; I don’t think that’s the case (at least consciously; I’m sure she knew subconsciously, and that that was the real basis of her fury toward, well, everyone). She doesn’t seem like a scrub in her armanox, either. But that lack of talent is the basis for her feud with Shingetsu, so I doubt it’s a red herring. I dunno.

Regarding my claim that Anna’s a narcissist: between working on my phone and being in a poor state of mind last night my reasoning on that front was a bit cyclical. The long and the short of it is that I think the extreme nature of her responses are evidence that she has narcissistic traits; they suggest a sense of entitlement that regularly accompanies narcissistic behavior, and it’s consistent enough that I speculate that it’s been there all along. I really should have framed it as speculation rather than as observed fact, though.

Regarding Shingetsu: It might be another line of assumption on my part, but I think Shingetsu’s behavior is consistent with that of someone adhering pretty closely to Japanese social norms. It’s my understanding that direct confrontation is largely eschewed in Japanese society, and Shingetsu seems to embody this at every step of her development: she leaves home to avoid conflict with Anna, she avoids tackling Anna’s deficiencies directly, she avoids finishing her off in battle (IMO to spare her feelings, since she knows a decisive loss would crush her), and so on. To me this is the behavior of someone who is keenly aware of a loved one’s failings, knows that they are acting out because of those failings, and is doing everything in her (Shingetsu’s) power to spare said loved one’s feelings. To tie this into my commentary on Anna above, I think Anna is aware of this on some level and deeply resents it. This would normally be a recipe for a breakdown and reconciliation later on in the story (as Anna came to terms with her anger and realized she hated herself most of all), but since Anna went and murdered her mother . . . well. There’s no walking that one back, unless the last mage standing wishes for a reset or something.

CaButler

Validated User
Granbelm - Episode 6

When the end credits suddenly cut off, I first thought there was an issue with my video player. But... wow.

I hate to be the one to say it, but I honestly think redemption is off the table for Anna. There's no real way of coming back from murdering your own parent.

Though I think Suishou is the one to watch out for. She's clearly got something else in mind and I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being the final obstacle for our heroes.

Blackfang108

The Lord Wolf
Validated User
OK, I clearly need to catch up on GRANDBELM.

Thankfully, I've got several hours between my arrival home and my wife's. So, plenty of time for Try Knights and GRANDBELM.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
You'd think that with fascinations of fantasyland's more humanoid critters being common, the sex trafficking and theft would be from the other side, not from ours.
If folklore is any guide, fairies are at least as likely to kidnap humans for weird sex stuff as the other way round.

sarellion

Validated User
Yeah, I’m also puzzled by the fact that Anna’s participating in the Granbelm when she’s supposedly a weak mage. I could buy the notion that Suisho was helping her somehow, but that would suggest that Anna knew all along she had no magical talent; I don’t think that’s the case (at least consciously; I’m sure she knew subconsciously, and that that was the real basis of her fury toward, well, everyone). She doesn’t seem like a scrub in her armanox, either. But that lack of talent is the basis for her feud with Shingetsu, so I doubt it’s a red herring. I dunno.
Rosa seemed to be more of a team player and she and Anna are or would have been a good team. Embers + Windlings are quite a lot of combat drones to take out others while waiting in the wings for the finishing move and more useful in a free for all than a straight combat Armanox. But I doubt that they worked together above a very basic level. Anna ordered everyone around and Rosa loathed her attitude.

Regarding Shingetsu: It might be another line of assumption on my part, but I think Shingetsu’s behavior is consistent with that of someone adhering pretty closely to Japanese social norms.
Quite funny considering that she grew up in Germany and the usual german stereotype regarding social norms is straight and polite like an axe in your face. ;) Her interaction with Mangetsu is rather direct and blunt. Hm, Shingetsu´s origin is a bit odd. She came to Japan as a kid (sounds like visiting not living), then went to live with Anna´s family which seems to be living in Southern Europe, then went back to Germany. Her name sounds japanese though. So is she a kid of a german mage family from a japanese side branch or half japanese? Maybe it a result of her intended role. You don´t want your bargaining chips to have an opinion on where to send them or being a displeasure to their host.

q_3

Ge.
Validated User
she avoids finishing her off in battle (IMO to spare her feelings, since she knows a decisive loss would crush her),
Hmm, that might explain how Anna could last so long in the Granblem despite her supposed lack of talent. She's been doing a perpetual Wile E Coyote vs. Roadrunner routine with Shingetsu while all of the other mages (who would have been willing to eliminate her) defeated each other instead. A cunning strategy!

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Help me out a bit in understanding Granbelm. We'll back off a bit to episode 5 when Mangetsu snapped. What happened? As she strikes at the magic circle a voiceover starts saying "Why, Mother? Don't go, I don't want to say goodbye". At first I thought this was Mangetsu's inner voice, but that doesn't match what we know of her family. It matches Nene's family situation more and as I rewatch the scene it seems that Mangetsu somehow accessed Nene's memory during that scene and that leaves me even more confused.

The usual trope for a sudden unforeseen but inevitable power-up is that the hero/heroine was just about to be defeated, looked inside and remembered WHAT REALLY MATTERS(tm) and discover newfound strength inside, but as far as I can tell no such thing happened. There were two cuts of Mangetsu basically hanging out with her friends and that doesn't seem sufficient as those are her casual friends. They aren't in danger if Mangetsu loses this battle. They will still be there, unaffected, and Mangetsu will still get to hang out with them, and they weren't even close to begin with. They were just classmates. If there's someone Mangetsu really cares for, that should be Shingetsu, but for this one scene she's out of the picture.

I can tell what's outwardly going on, but I can't figure out what's internally going on with Mangetsu here. What causes this power-up? Okay, so Mangetsu somehow sees Nene's memory. I can accept that, by assuming that Nene's magical circle is linked to Nene herself and that somehow striking at it caused a bleed-off of emotion or some other mumbo-jumbo. But why would that cause the power-up? Or if we reverse the assumption and assume that the power-up is what gave Mangetsu the ability to see some of Nene's memories, then what caused the power-up in the first place?

Or we can just assume that Mangetsu is just that powerful to begin with and there was no power-up, but that also flies against convention and Mangetsu herself seems to be surprised.

What am I missing?

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Help me out a bit in understanding Granbelm. We'll back off a bit to episode 5 when Mangetsu snapped. What happened? As she strikes at the magic circle a voiceover starts saying "Why, Mother? Don't go, I don't want to say goodbye". At first I thought this was Mangetsu's inner voice, but that doesn't match what we know of her family. It matches Nene's family situation more and as I rewatch the scene it seems that Mangetsu somehow accessed Nene's memory during that scene and that leaves me even more confused.

The usual trope for a sudden unforeseen but inevitable power-up is that the hero/heroine was just about to be defeated, looked inside and remembered WHAT REALLY MATTERS(tm) and discover newfound strength inside, but as far as I can tell no such thing happened. There were two cuts of Mangetsu basically hanging out with her friends and that doesn't seem sufficient as those are her casual friends. They aren't in danger if Mangetsu loses this battle. They will still be there, unaffected, and Mangetsu will still get to hang out with them, and they weren't even close to begin with. They were just classmates. If there's someone Mangetsu really cares for, that should be Shingetsu, but for this one scene she's out of the picture.

I can tell what's outwardly going on, but I can't figure out what's internally going on with Mangetsu here. What causes this power-up? Okay, so Mangetsu somehow sees Nene's memory. I can accept that, by assuming that Nene's magical circle is linked to Nene herself and that somehow striking at it caused a bleed-off of emotion or some other mumbo-jumbo. But why would that cause the power-up? Or if we reverse the assumption and assume that the power-up is what gave Mangetsu the ability to see some of Nene's memories, then what caused the power-up in the first place?

Or we can just assume that Mangetsu is just that powerful to begin with and there was no power-up, but that also flies against convention and Mangetsu herself seems to be surprised.

What am I missing?
I don’t think you’re missing anything. That scene was really weird, and will hopefully be addressed at some point. As it stands it doesn’t make any sense.

Top Bottom