• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Summer 2019] Create a General Anime Thread, with the light God could not know

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
At this point, my assumption is that Mangetsu is really a construct built and programmed for the express purpose of winning Granbelm and that she was inserted into her family with false memories.

sarellion

Validated User
I can tell what's outwardly going on, but I can't figure out what's internally going on with Mangetsu here. What causes this power-up? Okay, so Mangetsu somehow sees Nene's memory. I can accept that, by assuming that Nene's magical circle is linked to Nene herself and that somehow striking at it caused a bleed-off of emotion or some other mumbo-jumbo. But why would that cause the power-up? Or if we reverse the assumption and assume that the power-up is what gave Mangetsu the ability to see some of Nene's memories, then what caused the power-up in the first place?

Or we can just assume that Mangetsu is just that powerful to begin with and there was no power-up, but that also flies against convention and Mangetsu herself seems to be surprised.

What am I missing?
There was no power up unless you mean a temporary power surge. It seems that Mangetsu can access an altered state of mind where she is more powerful. That´s when her eyes turn violet with a white symbol representing her Armanox. It happened in the first episode, too, when she blew Rosa´s mech to bits.
AFAICT it´s trigger is imminent defeat. Rosa nearly got her and Nene´s blast spell (including doomclock) went off, which should have smashed her. The Armanox was already close to breaking apart.
Mangetsu accessed Nene´s memories, these weren´t hers. It seems the characters are confused about the memory leak as well. The best explanation were Shingetsu´s musing about the girls all being connected via the Magiaconatus.
The usual trope for a sudden unforeseen but inevitable power-up is that the hero/heroine was just about to be defeated, looked inside and remembered WHAT REALLY MATTERS(tm) and discover newfound strength inside, but as far as I can tell no such thing happened. There were two cuts of Mangetsu basically hanging out with her friends and that doesn't seem sufficient as those are her casual friends. They aren't in danger if Mangetsu loses this battle. They will still be there, unaffected, and Mangetsu will still get to hang out with them, and they weren't even close to begin with. They were just classmates. If there's someone Mangetsu really cares for, that should be Shingetsu, but for this one scene she's out of the picture.
This? That´s a reference of her dreaming about just floating in nothingness all the time and the pictures you mean, were the same when she talked to Shingetsu about her being totally meaningless and that she could just disappear without changing anything. She thinks she has absolutely nothing and is deeply afraid of returning back to her mundane life. She is not powered by friendship or love, but fear and desperation. Thinking about it she resembles Anna in quite a few ways (general character excluded ofc). She fights just for herself and a desire for being special, her rage isn´t a persistant state though. Also it´s a lot more effective as she has the magic power to back it up.

Last edited:

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow wow wow. Much has been made of the social commentary in this new Gegege no Kitaro, but to air an episode like this on the day of an election still has me floored. Whoever's making these decisions on the show has my utmost respect.
Yukamichi's post was from July 21st, but watching last week's episode of Gegege no Kitaro I see that it's still pinpoint accurate. Last week's Gegege no Kitaro was titled "THE SOCIAL MEDIA ADDICT VERSUS THE JOMON MAN" and man if it wasn't a sharp critique on the tendency of some internet personalities to do anything to get views and likes. For something that's broadcast on 9 a.m. Sundays, and thus solidly aimed at kids, it can be quite adult sometimes.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
One little thing I'd like to mention about Anna: that scene when she first manages to cast that spell, or rather, when she thinks she did. Her initial reaction? Disbelief. It's only after she's had a few moments to take it in that she starts expressing joy. And she has tears in her eyes when she tells Shingetsu that this means that she's capable of becoming The Witch. That's not the reaction of someone who already believed in her superiority.

Yeah. I am wondering a bit about this Anna is a weak mage thing though. She stayed in the battle for a year and the times she got in trouble was when she went berserk. Ok she had two other mages as backup but it didn´t look like they were fighting as a team much. Also Shisui´s support isn´t worth anything, she regularly noped out or fled unless she thought she has the upper hand.
I think it's entirely possible that Suishou was taking down anyone who was actually an imminent danger to Anna in the background - if she's powerful enough she could easily pass it off as them being weak, if anyone was watching her do it at all. As long as she does her research beforehand she could know which of the other contestants might be powerful enough to threaten Anna if they get close, enabling her to act flighty and worthless around those who aren't real threats.

I mean, in the last battle, Suishou fired a beam seemingly aimed at Kuon that just so happened to miss her and go off into the distance and hit Nene dead on, while the others were still scrambling to evade the bombardment and trace where Nene might be. And in the one before that she was the first to appear at Nene's location, even before Kuon, who traced her location right away. She's been sandbagging hard.

I don't think Anna is actually that weak, though. Even with support and with Shingetsu being unwilling to finish her off, she wouldn't be able to get as far as she has without some measure of real power. She's managed to surprise Shingetsu and put her on the back foot a time or two. She's just not up to her mother's standards. And you know, it might even be that her mother is projecting her own insecurities when she talks about how Anna would never be able to stand up to the pressure of being the head of a renown mage family.

Also, a thought about Mangetsu: we saw a symbol of the same style as the ones that appear in her eyes in an interesting place this episode.

I wonder if Mangetsu has a second crystal implanted somewhere within her body, or if she herself is imbued with magic in the same way that a crystal is somehow.

Blackfang108

The Lord Wolf
Validated User
OK, GRANDBELM 4&5 were pretty nice, and Anna definitely has problems. I look forward to episode 6 when it's off premium.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Astra Lost in Space 07: ...it's backwards. It's fucking backwards. Seriously?!

And how goddamn "coincidental" can this route get?!

And 1963 AD?!

(Also: That day, we received a grim reminder...)

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Isekai Cheat Magician 6 was... I don't know.

I mean, overall the series has been mostly okay, it has its problems, but I can watch it. 6 had maybe a few more issues than usual.

Spoiler: Show

You have the two sociopath loli twins who are all, 'Yay, the goblins are going the rape and kill and we're totally fine that, ha, ha.' and then suddenly they are redeemed because they were not safe and Taichi was totally cool having them at his back.

It's just kind of... ugh.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Astra Lost in Space 07: ...it's backwards. It's fucking backwards. Seriously?!
Yeah, I wanted to shake a few of those kids. I realize they're under a lot of stress and pressure here, but did none of them SERIOUSLY not notice that the "childhood friend's" name was just her's backwards? (And used the same VA in flashback). I know who my suspicions are pointing at as the traitor.

sarellion

Validated User
I was more surprised hearing about the "let´s go medieval with lords and dirty commoners" country, which also has a lot of tourism. Do they secure their border with force fields? That´s cold war Germany GDR-FDR (aka we need a wall to keep people in, even without tourists from the west) times 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom