• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Winter 2019] Penguins Are Never a Coincidence

Dulahan

Validated User
I'm... not optimistic about next season. By the standards of any season this last year it looks dismal insofar as total number of shows I'm looking forward to based on the writeups.

Will there be a surprise or two? Likely. there often is. Because the summary writeups often suck (Can we say Bunny Girl Senpai?). But the fact is, the initial outlook is pretty grim for me. Only like... 5 even on my radar:

Dororo

Kemono Friends

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai

Kemurikusa

Yakusoku no Neverland

None of them ones I'm particularly hopeful for, for any number of reasons. I would be about Kemono, but... there's that drama. So it leaves me mostly just looking and going "Eeeh..."

By comparison, even now Spring Season looks like it will be great. But that's not the next few months!

Shay Guy

Validated User
The sooner that isekai can get that slavery fetish out of its system, the better.
Which might require anime producers to either be more judicious about which Narou novels to adapt, or abandon Shousetsuka ni Narou as an adaptation source altogether, either one of which will mean leaving money on the table for at least the near future.

I’m not putting odds on the site’s writerbase moving away from slavery as a plot device. Or its readers, or the people at the publishers who decide which stories to pick up. (On the other hand, putting it like that, the trend has quite a few points of failure...)

Dulahan

Validated User
The sooner that isekai can get that slavery fetish out of its system, the better.
Personally, the sooner Anime can get over the Isekai festish period, the happier I'll be.

Bring back original Fantasy damn it!

Shay Guy

Validated User
Personally, the sooner Anime can get over the Isekai festish period, the happier I'll be.

Bring back original Fantasy damn it!
I mean, Aura Battler Dunbine is 36 years old this season, so isekai’s been a thing in anime for quite a while.

Dulahan

Validated User
I mean, Aura Battler Dunbine is 36 years old this season, so isekai’s been a thing in anime for quite a while.
Come on, you know I don't mean quitting it entirely.

But since apparently I need to make it clear, I mean that we stop having Isekai being the large chunk of fantasy stuff out there.

Shay Guy

Validated User

But since apparently I need to make it clear, I mean that we stop having Isekai being the large chunk of fantasy stuff out there.
Y'know, a graph of "Earth-based fantasy", "pure secondary-world fantasy", and "isekai fantasy" anime over time would be interesting. Wonder whether it'd be better to graph absolute numbers or proportions of anime being aired, given that there's so much more anime airing now than there was 15 years ago.

For that matter, would the first category even be a good idea to include, given that it covers everything from Sailor Moon to Bleach to A Certain Magical Index to Re:Creators?

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
For that matter, would the first category even be a good idea to include, given that it covers everything from Sailor Moon to Bleach to A Certain Magical Index to Re:Creators?
Isn't Re:Creators kinda reverse isekai? Ikasei? Iakesi? Hmm. I seem to have invoked something ancient and dark in the woods. Hold on.

Void Elemental

Made in Cognito
Validated User
Boogiepop, Dororo, & Neverland caught my eye. I'm actually ok with less things of interest this season. Gives me some breathing room in general & I can get back to a couple older titles I had to put on hold for lack of time.

Tiran

Validated User

I actually don't mind isekai, I just want it to stop being power fantasies with op protagonists. Give me something like, now and then where the protagonist is out of his depth. Doesn't need to be as dark as that one though

Top Bottom