• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] [General Anime Winter 2019] Penguins Are Never a Coincidence

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I could do without it. More original fantasy would be great!

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The shows I'm looking forward to this season :
- On the sequel front : Mob Psycho 100 II, Kakegurui xx. Also cautiously optimistic about Kemono Friends S2, as the Welcome to Japari Park shorts have been decent enough, and the franchise might survive and overcome all the drama.
- Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh getting a proper adaptation hypes me a lot ; the old Boogiepop Phantom was more of a sequel, and an old favourite of mine as my first introduction to nonlinear storytelling in a spectacular fashion. I'm a bit weirded out by the trailers featuring what looks suspiciously like colours, though.
- I have no clue what Kemurikusa is about, but in a way I'm kinda glad that Tatsuki & pals can now do their own thing with total creative control. Hopefully it's going to work out.
- Kotobuki Squadron has Tsutomu Mizushima & Michiko Yokote reuniting again, and I totally trust them as a team. I'm admittedly a bit worried by the jarring CG character models in the trailers, but hopefully it'll smooth itself out.
- The Promised Neverland has tons of hype and is a noitaminA show, so it's an automatic watch.
- Magical Girl Special Ops Asuka because I've got a weakness for all types of MG shows. I just hope it's got enough self-awareness to make its grimdark premise work.

Everything else is up in the air, as I'll try forging my opinions with their first episodes. I'm already bracing myself for W'z, which barely looks like any less of a disaster than Hand Shakers.

I'm pretty excited for [...] Lord El-Melloi II-sei no Jikenbo
About that one : all we're getting for now is the pilot, which already aired as a New Year special. The proper TV series won't be until Summer.

(And hey, if anyone was crying out for "the further adventures of grumpy older Waver Velvet", then it nails it down to a tee.)

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
Holy shit she did it.
I was on the fence until I realized that it was a good opportunity to use penguin emoji.

Which might require anime producers to either be more judicious about which Narou novels to adapt, or abandon Shousetsuka ni Narou as an adaptation source altogether, either one of which will mean leaving money on the table for at least the near future.

I’m not putting odds on the site’s writerbase moving away from slavery as a plot device. Or its readers, or the people at the publishers who decide which stories to pick up. (On the other hand, putting it like that, the trend has quite a few points of failure...)
There's enough delay in the web novel -> anime pipeline that things may have already changed somewhat, and those changes just haven't arrived here yet. Like, after that one recent Sword Art Online episode, the writer apologized and said he wouldn't have written in a rape scene like that nowadays; back then he was a lot newer and was following the trends of the day. But all that is largely a black box to us.

Dzhay

Trust a flumph.
Validated User
About that one : all we're getting for now is the pilot, which already aired as a New Year special. The proper TV series won't be until Summer.

(And hey, if anyone was crying out for "the further adventures of grumpy older Waver Velvet", then it nails it down to a tee.)
Original Waver Velvet was already pretty grumpy...

I just watched the pilot, it looks... promising. But I've been burned by Fate spinoffs a few too many times. Cautiously optimistic.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
I came across a nice video showing off a bunch of cuts from 2018 anime:

While it doesn't feature every show that I'd put in a video like that myself, it has more than I expected. :)

Blackfang108

The Lord Wolf
Validated User
Don't really know what I'm looking forward to, here, other than the continuation of Jojo & Slime. Because those shows are awesome.

Bicorn

Validated User
I actually don't mind isekai, I just want it to stop being power fantasies with op protagonists. Give me something like, now and then where the protagonist is out of his depth. Doesn't need to be as dark as that one though
I don't mind the occasional power fantasy, but they do take up a far too large chunk of the isekai subgenre just as isekai itself occupies too much of the fantasy genre in anime/manga/LN.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Isn't Re:Creators kinda reverse isekai? Ikasei? Iakesi? Hmm. I seem to have invoked something ancient and dark in the woods. Hold on.
That, of course, has its own respectable history, featuring the likes of The Devil is a Part-Timer.

(The latter's fantasy world, of course, is very much presented as a Stock 21st Century RPG-Inspired Japanese Fantasy Setting -- from what I can remember, the most distinctive feature at first glance was that the Hero who opposed the Maou was a woman.)

(Also, is it just me, or do Emi Yusa, Asuna Yuuki, and Selesia Upitiria all fit into similar character design molds, at least hair-wise?)

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
I'm already bracing myself for W'z, which barely looks like any less of a disaster than Hand Shakers.
I like to believe that some day something that looks like K will again actually be as good as K was.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I think my watchlist for the season (assuming services line up and all) probably will be:

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari - read a chunk of the manga, curious to see how its executed even if we're getting a tiny sliver of a long story. I do wonder if the Mangaka was a fan of Eric from the D&D cartoon.
Date A Live III - havent had a harem in a while and did kind of enjoy earlier seasons even if I did dislike fan favourite Kurumi
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen - kind of amusing premise
Domestic na Kanojo - see the first show on list, though I'm still reading it.
5-Toubun no Hanayome - sounds like hilarity ensues. Also...Tezuka Productions?
3D Kanojo 2 - read the manga (which I liked mostly) and watchecd cour1 which was Ok given its budget so I'm hoping it has time to tell the rest of the story.
Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. - its about a cat so of course I'm watching
Piano no Mori 2 - will see it sometime this decade whenever Netflix lets me see it.

Might also checkout Ueno-san wa Bukiyou.

Plus leftovers....Index3 and Reincarnated as a Slime. Still need to catch up on SAO and Run with the Wind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom