• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers inside] Wheel of Time casting

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/18/the-wheel-of-time-rosamund-pike-gone-girl-cast-as-moiraine-in-amazon-prime-series-report/

First bit of casting chatter I'd seen. Rosamund Pike as Moiraine.

Given I'm only vaguely familiar with WoT, I don't really have any thoughts beyond me liking Pike as an actress generally.

For readers of the books, does Moiraine being the central character in the show say much about the direction of the adapation?

EDIT: Officially confirmed now.

Last edited:

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For readers of the books, does Moiraine being the central character in the show say much about the direction of the adapation?
Moiraine was a central character in the books as well, the Gandalf to Rand & co's hobbits (so, like him, she wasn't really the protagonist but a very important character nevertheless).

Murazor

Undead assassin
Validated User
Moiraine was a central character in the books as well, the Gandalf to Rand & co's hobbits (so, like him, she wasn't really the protagonist but a very important character nevertheless).
Looks like she'll be the main protagonist in the series, according to the linked news story. Cool choice!

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
It’s understandable that they would want to anchor the show with a well-known actor, and Moira is an excellent choice for that, but I really hope this doesn’t mean they’re going to shift focus off the Emond’s Field kids as the main protagonists. They’re very much the heart of the story - in much the same way the hobbits are the heart of LotR, or the Starks are the heart of ASOIAF.

dmjalund

Polychromatic Pikathulhu
Validated User
I wouldn;t be too worried, It cis probably like Winona Ryder's role in Stranger Things

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It could well be that they're holding back on the nature of the Dragon Reborn, because that would honestly make good storytelling. Build up a mystery, establish the facts of prophecy, and then reveal what's really going on - because the whole point of The Wheel Of Time is someone going, "I'm the Chosen One? Wait, let me look at that prophecy again. OK, this looks bad, but what if I..."

Or it could be that the Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and go, and what has been will come again... and we're seeing everything happen again, with different threads wound about the ta'averen. That which must happen will happen, but must its agents be the same this time?

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
I’d like to see them make it a lot more of a mystery which of them is the Dragon Reborn this time around, as in the books it was kinda glaringly obvious from the start who it was.

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
I also wouldn't be surprised if they start with a highly modified take on some of the material from New Spring- give the show a couple of episodes of Moiraine and Lan hunting the Dragon, establish the world, maybe even show some everyday life in Edmond's Field.

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
*Googles Rosamund Pike*
OK, not exactly how I pictured Moiraine, but I guess if she dyes her hair, maybe...

Wait...

"Height: 5′ 9″" ?!?

I’d like to see them make it a lot more of a mystery which of them is the Dragon Reborn this time around, as in the books it was kinda glaringly obvious from the start who it was.
Oh, please don't... Those of us who know the books will already know, and those kind of contrived "which one is it" mysteries are always painful.

Old Toby
Least Known Dog on the Net

Top Bottom