• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers inside] Wheel of Time casting

Murazor

Undead assassin
Validated User
I for one can't at all remember how tall Loial is presented as being anyway, so the details makes no difference to me.

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
Rand comes up to his shoulder or chest, so I’d peg around 9-10 feet.
Hmm...

If Rand is 6'8" (as, IIRC, was mentioned earlier in the thread), which is to say 80", and has the same height relationship to Loial that, say, a 60" (5'0") person has to a 75" (6'3") person... That's a 4:5 ratio. Which makes Loial 100" or 8'4".

Of course we have to keep in mind that any Randland measurements we might compare this to are using decimal inches...

Old Toby
Least Known Dog on the Net

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wait, Rand is six foot eight?? Where does that stat come from?

Dragonlover
According to the wiki and a source cited there, Jordan said that Rand was 6'5" or 6'6". It's possible he gave a 6'8" figure somewhere else. Rand's height is remarked on several times in the books, as I recall.

I think Aiel were generally substantially taller than Wetlanders on average, and his height was a reflection of that.

Murazor

Undead assassin
Validated User
I think Aiel were generally substantially taller than Wetlanders on average, and his height was a reflection of that.
The overwhelming awesomeness of the Aiel got pretty rediculous. During the Wetland-invasion, it also seemed like every time they fractioned into feuding subgroups their numbers increased.

Dragonlover

Validated User
I'd just assumed they're "normal tall" so like 6'3" maybe 6'4", not a race of basketball players!

Dragonlover

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
Yeah, the Aiel do reflect the general problem the books have with demographics. From arable land in the middle of the continent being abandoned by multiple kingdoms* to the desert tribes mustering as many fighters as the combined armies of the Wetlanders, it's not a strong area of the world-building. A sort of demographic counterpart to GRRM's total inability to grasp geographic scale.

*I can buy good land going empty after a plague. I can buy major demographic decline after a long term period of instability, like Italy's population decline in late antiquity. But that bit in the first book where they talk about the thousands of square miles of prime land that hasn't been inhabited since Artur Hawkwing's day a thousand years before makes no damn sense at all.

Kiiratam

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, on the subject of Ogier height: what are they going to do about Trollocs? They're supposed to be about the same size (~10ft). Personally, I'd just quietly make Trollocs ~6ft tall, mainly because there is no way humans are winning against opponents that outnumber and outsize them.

Top Bottom