• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
The spoilers are here. I'll leave this one empty to avoid hover-over spoilers.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I liked it. Not the best, but solid. I'd place it somewhere around The Wolverine, and above Apocalypse and The Last Stand. I liked the action, but there weren't many surprises, and Raven's death felt a little bit unearned and inserted for drama. I really liked the scene were Jean forces Charles to walk up the stairs. It's like a horror film scene, with Jean being the creepy girl. The villains were somewhat generic, though. It would have been nice to have Raven infiltrate them (if they had kept her alive).

Right now, it has 21% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is very low. Then again, that can also mean that many critics just though it was okay-ish. Even The Last Stand has 58%, however.

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Who is the blonde who interacts with Jean in the trailers who wasn't identified so far?

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Who is the blonde who interacts with Jean in the trailers who wasn't identified so far?
That's an alien and the main antagonist. These aliens lost their homeworld to the Phoenix Force and plan to take over Earth.

Gareth3

Validated User
So when the most famous X-Men are locked up and pleading to be let back into the action, is it a coincidence that the guards all have uniforms with the letters MCU?

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
So when the most famous X-Men are locked up and pleading to be let back into the action, is it a coincidence that the guards all have uniforms with the letters MCU?
It probably stands for "Mutant Control Unit". I didn't notice it, but my friend did, and we thought it was pretty funny.

Gareth3

Validated User
They cut most of the Hellfire Club stuff out, but I think the city fight was supposed to be in Fifth Avenue next to Central Park, exactly where the Hellfire Club building was originally in the comics.

GabrielPierce

Not an Infernalist
Validated User
Just gonna copy-paste what I wrote for my friends on FB:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Sigh. Look, it's not garbage. I have Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead on my shelf. That's garbage. Dark Phoenix isn't that bad. But it is just completely flat and uninspired. Pretty much everyone except Sophie Turner is just cashing a paycheck, there isn't a single line of dialogue worth remembering, and across the whole film there's maybe half a scene worth of cool action.

Uninspired basically sums up the whole thing. Which shouldn't be surprising. With mutant rights reverting to Marvel, I guess Fox just decided to tank this movie and call it a day. I eagerly await the day the actors feel they can talk about this movie freely, because I do want to know if this was a tank job or if everyone was just over it.

But yeah, wait for netflix

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
Just gonna copy-paste what I wrote for my friends on FB:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Sigh. Look, it's not garbage. I have Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead on my shelf. That's garbage. Dark Phoenix isn't that bad. But it is just completely flat and uninspired. Pretty much everyone except Sophie Turner is just cashing a paycheck, there isn't a single line of dialogue worth remembering, and across the whole film there's maybe half a scene worth of cool action.
So you’re saying it compares favourably next to a Troma film? I guess that’s a *kind* of praise.

Slivo

Validated User
What bugged me is that it could have been so much more. There are glimpses, hints, of a real emotional movie. But they just didn’t get there. Sophie Turner seemed to lack physical chemistry with Tye Sheridan. Jean Grey’s using drinking to numb the voices in her head was hinted at... then not followed up on. Magneto’s minions had a decent part in the movie, but never even got named.

It wasn’t awful. Fan4Stic was awful. Dark Phoenix was just kind of mediocre, and left me flat.

Top Bottom