• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Spoilers] X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I heartily agree with that (bolding mine). I cut the comics some slack, since one could argue that they had written themselves into a corner with the character, and so maybe the only way she could be redeemed was through her death. The movie wouldn't had that excuse, since the got to write the whole plot out before filming started, so I'm glad they chose a more "empowered" arc for her.
IIRC Jean dying was an editorial decision.
In Claremont first draft Jean survived.

HNutz

Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men!
Validated User
I just can't believe they let the guy who wrote X3 come back to write and direct a story he already tried to adapt (with.... less than favorable results, according to most people).

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I just can't believe they let the guy who wrote X3 come back to write and direct a story he already tried to adapt (with.... less than favorable results, according to most people).
I'm definitely not most people but this movie was WAY better than X3.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
IIRC Jean dying was an editorial decision.
In Claremont first draft Jean survived.
Yes the original plan was that it would end with a kind of 'psychic lobotomy' which would return Jean to pre-Phoenix levels (The phoenix was originally not a cosmic entity, just Jean's powers reaching their ultimate level) but Shooter thought that killing 3 billion people was an irredeemable act and so demanded she die.

Adaptions pretty much always leave this out.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
The decade gimmick is neat, but as other have pointed out, it just stretches the character's age. Plus this film wasn't very 90s. It could have set in any decade after the development of the space shuttle. In hindsight, they should have set Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix a couple of years after Days. First Class and Days were at least tied to historical events (Missile Crisis and Vietnam War).

Thornlord

Suffer the likes of me.
Validated User
Can we speak to how bad that use of "Fuck you" was used in this PG-13 movie? Like, really Cyclops?

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I liked the inclusion of Magneto's Genoa refuge (doesn't that become a home base for a bigger bad in the future?). I liked how Jean behaves for the most part. A lot of actors really gave their best.

jimthegray

Validated User
Can we speak to how bad that use of "Fuck you" was used in this PG-13 movie? Like, really Cyclops?

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I liked the inclusion of Magneto's Genoa refuge (doesn't that become a home base for a bigger bad in the future?). I liked how Jean behaves for the most part. A lot of actors really gave their best.
Seeing it tomorrow at the drive in along with stuuber

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I liked the inclusion of Magneto's Genoa refuge (doesn't that become a home base for a bigger bad in the future?).
Sort of, Magneto's chief acolyte takes over from time to time and is a complete asshat to put it mildly, I don't recall any serious villains taking over from Magnus though, and eventually it gets flattened by Sentinals.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I liked the inclusion of Magneto's Genoa refuge (doesn't that become a home base for a bigger bad in the future?)
Sort of. There's a lot of long version, but the short version is that in the comics, Genosha has alternately been a South Africa metaphor, an Israel metaphor, and a convenient target to blow up.

It started as an apartheid nation that oppressed and enslaved mutants. Then the UN gave the island to Magneto to establish a mutant homeland, leading to a civil war as he took out the previous government. Then it was a lovely mutant homeland for a while, then it got blown up a few times, became the base for evil zombie mutants, and last I checked everyone there was dead.

Top Bottom