RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
To bring discussion along from the other thread...

GM's notes: get the CMO into an Andorian ice axe duel with Jim Kirk
Well, she certainly wouldn't mind ripping his shirt.

A few general points:

• Several of you have offered to adjust names and ships in your background to fit with story hooks. I tend to do things the opposite way: I'll make story hooks of what you give me in your background. So, if you want to create overlaps in your respective backgrounds because you think that'd be fun (and I tend to agree, plus it makes Starfleet feel a little smaller, which I think is good in a TOS game), then have at it. But, don't worry about adjusting things to fit with my campaign.
  • One of the small touches that I have particularly liked in the various Star Trek series is the semi-ritualized group decompression/bonding activity (TOS had the three mains sharing a joke on the bridge at the end of the episode, TNG had the poker game, Enterprise had the three mains dining in Archer's quarters, etc.). This may need to wait until we've played a bit and you have a feel for your characters, but give some though to whether you'd like to establish something similar, and what it might be.
  • Right now, your ship is the Constitution-class Endeavor. A couple of folks have mentioned maybe changing that - please speak up if you'd like to so that we can have that discussion.
Azolla's career between the Klingon War and present is, except for the plague incident and accompanying under-wraps Romulan medical cooperation (which has to be fairly recent), pretty much filler, so I could cross her over with the others pretty easily. Maybe she was one of the junior doctors on the ship Nilani was first officer on?...heh, that could be an awkward relationship point - Azolla is unbonded and childless on purpose despite the long-term Andorian population crisis.

Maybe the ship Azolla was on responded to the USS Cygnus's Warp Drive incident and she handled Hellek's amputation?

And if anyone else wants to cross over with her.

Constitution class ships have a bowling alley. I suggest we use it for our poker game equivalent.

I'm good with Endeavor. Though I like fiddling around with the Franz Joseph ships and kitbashing my own, onscreen evidence suggests that Starfleet went all in on the large multirole exploration cruisers in the TOS era, at least on the frontier. If someone has a ship class in mind that's very pretty, though, I'd consider it.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The game wiki is up. Please move your characters over there when you have the chance.

You'll notice that the wiki is set up presuming we use the Constitution-class Endeavor - that's just because I had to choose something, it's not an attempt to cut off discussion, and it's all easy enough to change.

You'll see that there's also a table (under Senior Staff) with the various Roles listed. Please edit in your character's name next to a Role, if you're claiming one. As we go along, we'll fill out all of the other Senior Staff positions with Supporting Characters.

I don't want to hurry things too much, but in my experience many PbP games tend to struggle a little bit at this stage (wrapping up character creation and getting to the start of the game). So, I'm going to post the IC thread tomorrow morning (Eastern US time). Everyone has an approved character, and none of the tweaks being discussed are things that need to hold things up.

Last edited:

Zebra

Validated User
Azolla is unbonded and childless on purpose despite the long-term Andorian population crisis.
Maybe the ship Azolla was on responded to the USS Cygnus's Warp Drive incident and she handled Hellek's amputation?

And if anyone else wants to cross over with her.

What year did Azolla graduate? Ziv was at the Academy from 2261-2265. As completely untraditional Andorians, they could have been friends there. Or after, I suppose. But I think it would be pretty cool to have a (non-sexual) history, and ideally a real friendship between the two, so the Captain knows he isn’t a political hack even as she knows the entire crew will likely think so.

Of course, it could also be interesting to reverse that, and have particular hostility between the two, so she is *pissed* to be stuck with him on her crew *again* after he was promoted over someone she considered to really deserve it on another ship where they both served.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone else interested in connections? It’s unlikely that anyone would know Ziv pre-Starfleet, as he is from a reactionary, anti-Federation clan from a shithole town on a “politically awkward” planet.

Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Azolla graduated in 2255 (the year before T'Kuvma's war), so knowing each other at the academy is out, but maybe his first posting was to the same ship she was on?

Zebra

Validated User
Sounds good. Do you want our history to be positive or negative? Either works for me. My goal is to set up one positive and one negative link. I don't want Tiv to be disruptive, as I hope is obvious, but I do enjoy the arc of coming to be seen for what he can do and earning respect due to coming in with a reputation for getting all the best jobs too young due to connections in the Admiralty, though the specific link is likely unknown.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd say positive, at least partly because I want to have an example of a non-human species having cultural heterogeneity without a 'shun the heretics!' vibe.

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'll get a background/history up tomorrow, tonight is my last night on overnights until next week (I work a 4-on/3-off schedule). Given I'm the overnight shift manager for a Walmart, I don't have a lot of time for real coherent thought, let alone writing. However, I have given it a bit of thought...and as I'm working up the various events, I'd like to ask as to when did our beloved Captain meet with that thar Transporter accident?

Zebra

Validated User
A good point. Are you thinking positive as in close friends and maybe even know parts of the story of how Ziv got an Admiral guiding his career or positive in terms of “I don’t care how he got the job, I know he can do it and that’s all I care about.” I hadn’t considered his clan’s politics to be an issue between him and other Andorians in particular, in part because he doesn’t share them and in part because every culture has reactionies and yet still remain functioning cultures.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Possibly another sort of mentoring relationship, especially if he shows signs of Impostor Syndrome.

Top Bottom