• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Star Trek Adventures - TOS Era] Boldly Going

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Endeavor, Near the Briar Patch on the way to Seleucus Prime
All Crew Present

Azolla peers out the viewscreen. "Are the stars right, Mister Halleck?" she asks. A little smirk crosses her face as she vaguely remembers hearing a phrase like that in ancient Earth literature, but can't quite place it. "We're still checking the pulsar clocks," she replies to Maur, then switches to medbay. "Casualty report, Dr. Pond?" she requests, wondering if she's ever going to be able to ask that without the nagging feeling that she should be down there.
"Reports are still coming in, Dr. sh'Aialik," Pond still adamantly refuses to call Azolla 'Captain,' "but it appears that there are no serious injuries. A few individuals did lose consciousness from the...stress of whatever just happened, but there does not appear to be any lasting damage. At least, not that we can determine at this time."

“Scanning the stellar cartography to get a pinpoint on the star date now Captain.”
Hellek began checking the positions of the stars in an effort to determine their temporal location.
Curiously, the ship is not receiving the automated subspace Stardate synchronization messages; Hellek has to calculate the current Stardate manually.

Based on the orbital progress of certain stars around the galactic core and the aging of certain other stellar phenomena, Hellek puts the current Stardate at 12354.2 - approximately 200 Earth years after the time of their initial jump.

Lieutenant Carolina Hamill

Hunh, it actually worked, Carrie thinks as she looks around the bridge in awe.

She turns back to the nav sensor array outputs and compares them to the ship's database to attempt to make sense of the readings of the surrounding space.

OOC: Basic info gathering roll about finding what is the closest match to where according to the current star charts.
Carrie's Reason 9 / Conn 4 + Ship's Computers 8 / Conn 2. Technical Expertise Talent applies. Astronavigation Focus applies.
Note that I originally rolled Reason/Science and Sensors Science, but changed upon further reading in the book, which implies Conn make more sense for what she is doing.
Gathering Info (Reason / Science): 2#1d20 12 6 - 2 successes for Reason / Conn
Ship's aid (Sensors / Science): 1d20 18 - 0 successes
Technical Expertise Reroll (Ship's Aid): 1d20 17 - still 0 success

Net: 2 successes
OOC: I'll call that a Difficulty 0 check and turn your 2 Momentum into 2 useful pieces of information.


It does not appear that the Endeavor's relative location has changed significantly - it's still in the same part of the Beta Quadrant near the Briar Patch on a path in between Starbase 7-J (or, at least where Starbase 7-J was) and the Seleucus system (same proviso). How something can travel in time but not in space is one of the many unanswered questions about time travel for the eggheads back at Headquarters to puzzle out.

Comparing her current calculations to the Endeavor's star charts (now well out of date, of course), Lt. Hamill can see that the Briar Patch has lost perhaps 50% of its volume, mostly in the form of spherical or semi-spherical chunks taken out of its edge.

Hamill also notices that the ship is not receiving the typical transmissions from Federation subspace astronavigation buoys.

The sensors pick up the hull of a ship floating near what is now the edge of the Briar Patch. It appears to be dead in space and the design of the ship is difficult to resolve without a more aggressive scan or closing the distance.
 

QuZi

Libido Cattle Prod
Validated User
Lt. (j.g.) Carolina Hamill

"Captain? No subspace nav-buoy signals." Carrie turns to the Captain, then adds, "That's bad."

Turning back to her navigation displays, she adds, " And it looks like something's been tearing chunks out of the Briar Patch. Spherical chunks like what we got caught in, maybe."

She pauses for a moment while double-checking her readings, then says, "Hunh, that's weird. There's a ship out there that looks dead in space."

Carrie starts searching through the library of ship designs on her PADD, seeking anything similar.

"Given the distance and how near it is to the Briar Patch, I don't recognize the design off the top of my head, but I'm looking for anything similar."

OOC: Comparing the what can be seen of the ship against the ship's computer library. Gather information roll with dice for Insight 9 / Science 2 + Ship's Aid die for Computers 8 / Engineering 2, since those seem to be roughly appropriate. Technical Expertise applies. No Foci.
ID ship design characteristics (Insight/Science?): 2#1d20 19 12 - 0 success
Ship's Aid (Engineering/Computers): 1d20 5 - 1 success
Technical Aid Expertise Reroll: 1d20 7 - 19 turns into 1 success

Net: 2 successes
 
Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Azolla frowns. "200 years?" she breathes softly, glancing around the bridge. And no signals. But it was her job to keep people inspired rather than panicked. "You're sure nothing's distorting the reading, Mister Halleck?" She leans forward and steeples her fingers. "It's possible that communications technology has passed us by. Scan every frequency we can hear. See if we can at least pick up carrier wave patterns that we might be able to decode."
 
Last edited:

BVrtis

Registered User
Validated User
"I've triple-checked the calculations, Captain," Hellek answers without the usual gruffness that would underlie his response. "We appear to be roughly 200 years in our relative future."

Turning to the communications array, Hellek began running a scan of the commonly used frequencies as well as the those on the edges of Federation usage, looking for any sign of communication.
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Endeavor, Near the Briar Patch on the way to Seleucus Prime
All Crew Present

Lt. (j.g.) Carolina Hamill

"Captain? No subspace nav-buoy signals." Carrie turns to the Captain, then adds, "That's bad."

Turning back to her navigation displays, she adds, " And it looks like something's been tearing chunks out of the Briar Patch. Spherical chunks like what we got caught in, maybe."

She pauses for a moment while double-checking her readings, then says, "Hunh, that's weird. There's a ship out there that looks dead in space."

Carrie starts searching through the library of ship designs on her PADD, seeking anything similar.

"Given the distance and how near it is to the Briar Patch, I don't recognize the design off the top of my head, but I'm looking for anything similar."

OOC: Comparing the what can be seen of the ship against the ship's computer library. Gather information roll with dice for Insight 9 / Science 2 + Ship's Aid die for Computers 8 / Engineering 2, since those seem to be roughly appropriate. Technical Expertise applies. No Foci.
ID ship design characteristics (Insight/Science?): 2#1d20 19 12 - 0 success
Ship's Aid (Engineering/Computers): 1d20 5 - 1 success
Technical Aid Expertise Reroll: 1d20 7 - 19 turns into 1 success

Net: 2 successes
OOC: The proximity to the Briar Patch turns what would be a Difficulty 0 roll into Difficulty 2, so that is a success and gets you a bit of information. You'd need to get closer for more information.


The ship has obviously suffered some severe damage and may be missing large sections. That said, from what the sensors can make out, it seems to have two warp nacelles attached by struts to a central hull, and then what might have been a rising hull connecting to another section. There's no saucer, but there might have been one.

It doesn't match anything in the database, but the basic design makes it look like a Federation ship.

Azolla frowns. "200 years?" she breathes softly, glancing around the bridge. And no signals. But it was her job to keep people inspired rather than panicked. "You're sure nothing's distorting the reading, Mister Halleck?" She leans forward and steeples her fingers. "It's possible that communications technology has passed us by. Scan every frequency we can hear. See if we can at least pick up carrier wave patterns that we might be able to decode."
"I've triple-checked the calculations, Captain," Hellek answers without the usual gruffness that would underlie his response. "We appear to be roughly 200 years in our relative future."

Turning to the communications array, Hellek began running a scan of the commonly used frequencies as well as the those on the edges of Federation usage, looking for any sign of communication.
OOC: This is what you can learn without a roll. You'd get more information with a successful roll aided by the ship's Comms + Engineering or Science.


There's no traffic on (at least what were) normal Starfleet subspace channels. Known Gorn, Klingon, and Romulan channels are also quiet. A channel thought to be used by the Tholians is abuzz with activity, but it's all encoded and would take some significant effort to break.
 

BVrtis

Registered User
Validated User
"Nothing on the Federation channels, Captain," Hellek begins to sound annoyed at the lack, "nor am I reading anything from most of the other major powers; Gorn, Klingon, and Romulan channels are also reading quiet." Leaning closer to the readouts, Hellek made a couple of adjustments to the instruments before calling back over his shoulder, "There does appear to be some chatter on a suspected Tholian channel, but I will need to try and get through the encryption. Making that attempt now."

OOC: Going to go with a Reason+Science to try and cut through the encoding on this mystery channel, assisted by the ship's Comms+Science. My roll nets a 12 and a 14, for two Successes. Assistance from the ship is a 4 for a third success.
 

Zebra

Registered User
Validated User
Tiv immediately starts searching for any other ships or other signs of threat in the area.

OOC: I already established he was in the process when we jumped. What should I roll for the scan? Reason + Security? And the ships’s computers + scanners?
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Endeavor, Near the Briar Patch on the way to Seleucus Prime
All Crew Present
Tiv immediately starts searching for any other ships or other signs of threat in the area.

OOC: I already established he was in the process when we jumped. What should I roll for the scan? Reason + Security? And the ships’s computers + scanners?
OOC: Sure, that makes sense for a die pool.


"Nothing on the Federation channels, Captain," Hellek begins to sound annoyed at the lack, "nor am I reading anything from most of the other major powers; Gorn, Klingon, and Romulan channels are also reading quiet." Leaning closer to the readouts, Hellek made a couple of adjustments to the instruments before calling back over his shoulder, "There does appear to be some chatter on a suspected Tholian channel, but I will need to try and get through the encryption. Making that attempt now."

OOC: Going to go with a Reason+Science to try and cut through the encoding on this mystery channel, assisted by the ship's Comms+Science. My roll nets a 12 and a 14, for two Successes. Assistance from the ship is a 4 for a third success.
OOC: 2 successes to get through the encryption on the Tholian channel, and then 1 Momentum which we'll turn into an additional piece of useful information.


Given the transmitter location and the fact that the Tholians aren't really known for roaming about, it looks like the borders of the Tholian Holdfast expanded significantly at some point between when the Endeavor jumped in time and the present. With a little extrapolation, Hellek is able to estimate that the Holdfast must be several times the size that it once was.

Getting through the encryption takes a moment or two - it's not particularly great encryption, all things considered, and not that much different than what they were using in Endeavor's time.

Contact with the Tholians has been limited, so the Universal Translation is a little bit rough. The transmission that Hellek picked up appears to be a routine status report from one ship (the Patrol Corvette Covenant, which from context seems to be the lead ship in a small convoy) to another (the Heavy Command Cruiser Atarok). The Covenant reports that system Rho-12 is ready for installation of a web generator. They report that they had a brief encounter with a raiding ship "in the service of the Storyteller," but that they were able to see it off with no friendly casualties.

Rho-12 is a Tholian designation for a system that seems to be a few lightyears from where the Endeavor is now. The system used to be claimed by the Romulans, but obviously they must have abandoned it.
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Azolla takes a deep breath. There has to be someone left...

"Engineering," she calls down. "Prioritize repairs to any damage that increases our energy emissions or sensor cross-section. Lt. T'Haas, get us as close as you safely can to that derelict, and Lt. Halleck, tell me everything you can about it. Lt. Hammil, plot a course to a nearby system that at least had a Federation colony in our time, preferably with an active gas giant or something else that we can hide in for a while."
 
Last edited:

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Engineering, roger that," Maur confirmed, and then, "Core team! you heard the Skipper," and then on intercoms, "Damage control teams, priority of sensors, shields, weapons, and then we'll worry about everything else."

She headed off - the Engine Room was in good hands, and she needed to walk the power gridwork.
 
Top Bottom