[Star Trek: Discovery] 1x07 Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad (***Spoilers***)

GestaltBennie

Cycle Fish Messenger Boy
Validated User
I enjoyed that, although some of the dueling timeline material may require a second viewing.

I'm assuming Stella doesn't age all that well between here and "I, Mudd".

First and Forsaken Brian

Validated User
I had expected the solution to be to inject some combination of Burnham and VoqTyler with the tardigrade serum so that they could also exist outside of the timestream in the way Stamets did.

Matchstick

Validated User
Not a bad episode, though it definitely ran out of steam by the end. Solution was a bit of a fizzle.

I was very annoyed, though, that Stamets never tried the one thing that seemed obvious to me: Tell Lorca that Mudd is hiding in the creature and not to bring it on board. Mudd's plan seemed to depend on that, and it's kind of hard to believe Stamets could not have convinced Lorca in at least one of the loops.

Vael

Validated User
For all the supposed darkness of Discovery, that was very funny and entertaining. I liked a lot of the interplay, I like stoned Stamets. Burnham and Ash are cute together, despite my reservations.

First and Forsaken Brian

Validated User
Not a bad episode, though it definitely ran out of steam by the end. Solution was a bit of a fizzle.

I was very annoyed, though, that Stamets never tried the one thing that seemed obvious to me: Tell Lorca that Mudd is hiding in the creature and not to bring it on board. Mudd's plan seemed to depend on that, and it's kind of hard to believe Stamets could not have convinced Lorca in at least one of the loops.
I considered that as well, but I think Mudd only needed the whale to come on board in the first run through; it seemed like his time travel device translated him back 30 minutes in the same place that he was; we see a bit of this in the Lorca-murder montage, where he kills Lorca in the ready room and then walks out onto the bridge to kill him again. I thought the might try the solution of destroying the whale and the ship inside after they learned that the time-jump apparatus was powered by the ship, but apparently not.

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
As well as that the one thing in the galaxy that Mudd fears is Stella. I liked this episode. They do play up that beneath his eccentricities and flamboyant personality Mudd is a ruthless murderer and liar, though even in TOS he had an edge to him. The one thing that bothered me at all was them putting the space whale in 1G in the shuttle bay.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
Which means he tried that and it didn't work, they just didn't show the blatantly obvious loop. Stamets had already tried a few times before he brought Burnham in.

Top Bottom