[Star Trek: Discovery] 1x09 Into the Forest I Go (***Spoilers***)

Matchstick

Validated User
Very strong episode.

It does almost feel like a course correction (to me) by the writers with Lorca in this episode, though. He was behaving a lot closer what we expect of a typical Starfleet captain, with way less paranoia, even with Admiral Cornwell's return.

Tyler=Voq theory not losing any steam based on this episode.

So, theories about where they jumped to? The talk about parallel universes between Lorca and Stamets makes the Mirror Universe one possibility.

The cliffhanger does leave some very Trek-like possibilities for the second half of the season regardless of where they are. Of course, I notice that the Discovery didn't have time to transmit the data regarding breaking through the Klingon cloaks, so Starfleet is going to need Discovery back before they can win the war.

Last edited:

First and Forsaken Brian

Validated User
I had a "waaaaait a minute" moment when they were discussing using Stamets for the serial microjumps; Discovery was making software-navigated microjumps when Burnham initially came on board, so I don't really see a reason why they had to risk their only long-distance navigator.

Last edited:

Matchstick

Validated User
I had a "waaaaait a minute" moment when they were discussing using Stamets for the serial microjumps; Discovery was making software-navigated microjumps when Burnham came on board, so I don't really see a reason why they had to risk their only long-distance navigator.
The speed at which they were making them maybe?

Matchstick

Validated User
When I heard them say they had to make 133 jumps, I immediately thought someone on the writing staff is a BSG fan and was referencing maybe that show's best episode.

Vael

Validated User
Tyler=Voq theory not losing any steam based on this episode.
I'm taking this episode as confirmation, but with the twist that he's indeed a sleeper agent, not just a Klingon in disguise. Also, I'm glad that they're not shying away from the horror of the situation, and that Ash is still treating those memories as truth.

The writers did lay it on a little thick at the end, I mean, "one last jump before I retire", "We have the only copy of data vital to the war effort", "let's go on a date to reconnect" ... is it even a cliffhanger if the cliff is blaring klaxons, HEY, THERE'S A MIDSEASON CLIFFHANGER APPROACHING!!!!

That said, I've really enjoyed this episode, and the first half of Discovery. I haven't had a Star Trek show where I was eagerly awaiting the next episode since DS9, and that makes me happy.

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
I enjoyed it a lot. I kind of hope that Ash Tyler is "just" a sleeper agent, because that adds to the horror of his experiences - whereas if Ash is just a facade over Voq, it doesn't matter as much even if Ash-while-he-exists is suffering.

Top Bottom