[Star Trek: Discovery] 1x14 The War Without, the War Within (***Spoilers***)

Matchstick

Validated User
CBS cares not for your Super Bowl counterprogramming! Nothing shall stop the penultimate episode of Star Trek: Discovery season one from going online.

Discuss!

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I liked it better than the last few episodes.

Thought it was a nice touch how the crew was all fired up for the pure science of teraforming (well, at least as pure as it get in Star Trek).

Glad it does not look like they are just going to go back and time and fix things. They still count I suppose.

The Devil's bargain that seems to be happening looks interesting. If they don't just hand wave a solution with 'we will find a better, star fleet way that leaves everyone happy'.

It's a war, sometimes hard choice get made.

zwilnik

Validated User
I guess we know they're not going to genocide the Klingons.

I liked the episode for the most part, but... I'm just not that into Voq/Ash. They underplayed all of that, while tipping there hand so that even the nothing burger resolution seemed overplayed. So I continue to not care a whit about the Klingon inside a human inside a Klingon. Let's see? A HuKlingen? Cause he's a chicken at his core. God he tries for soulful eyes and just whines.. Anyway, Michael getting in touch with her humanity by learning from a Klingon is just.... Why?

Also? They so wanted mirror-Giorgiou as Captain they just ram-rodded it through. Ah well. Moral dilemma ahoy. But we already know they're not going to genocide the Klingons.

Shoulda popped a photon or two off at that captured base while they were there. But Admiral Whosits is proving to be cut from the usual Federation Admiral cloth. Useless in a pinch, and prone to making disastrous choices.

Did we ever find out why she's not rotting in a Klingon prison at best? Seeing as they pointedly didn't go get her back?*

Last edited:

DisgruntleFairy

Validated User
So I see how this goes. Burnham leads another mutiny against Mirror Georgiou and finally defeats her inner demons. Then something....

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is going to turn out well. I have faith in the new MU captain.

Aeolusdallas

Validated User
I guess we know they're not going to genocide the Klingons.

I liked the episode for the most part, but... I'm just not that into Voq/Ash. They underplayed all of that, while tipping there hand so that even the nothing burger resolution seemed overplayed. So I continue to not care a whit about the Klingon inside a human inside a Klingon. Let's see? A HuKlingen? Cause he's a chicken at his core. God he tries for soulful eyes and just whines.. Anyway, Michael getting in touch with her humanity by learning from a Klingon is just.... Why?

Also? They so wanted mirror-Giorgiou as Captain they just ram-rodded it through. Ah well. Moral dilemma ahoy. But we already know they're not going to genocide the Klingons.

Shoulda popped a photon or two off at that captured base while they were there. But Admiral Whosits is proving to be cut from the usual Federation Admiral cloth. Useless in a pinch, and prone to making disastrous choices.

Did we ever find out why she's not rotting in a Klingon prison at best? Seeing as they pointedly didn't go get her back?*
What do you mean? They did rescue that admiral. In the episode that ended with them going to the mirror universe

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What do you mean? They did rescue that admiral. In the episode that ended with them going to the mirror universe
And in a bit that didn't make sense (at the time), they shipped her back to a star base via shuttle, and then decided to jump there as well.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh COME ON!!!!!

Even if taking the Empress at her word wasn't stupid, putting on that ridiculous song and dance at the end...

Just... what the fuck?

Matchstick

Validated User
For most of the episode, this kind of felt like an entirely different show.

Actually, once you remove Lorca from the command mix, the show that it reminded most of was DS9. You have a bunch of moral Starfleet officers forced into contemplating and debating the very difficult choices in war.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we get (I believe) our first conference room scene, a Star Trek tradition where the command crew actually hashes out a problem. Lorca had no use for other viewpoints, so he wouldn't need a setting for long conversations. He only cared how his crew could best execute his personal desires.

And, hey, it should be interesting to see what the Discovery looks like when captained by someone from the Mirror Uni -- wait.

(I trust that will be a one-episode thing and have a point to it.)

The crew in the mess hall all joining Tyler's table was lovely -- a scene all about empathy and forgiveness in a show that has been pretty short on that.

Top Bottom