[Star Trek: Discovery] 2x08 If Memory Serves (***Spoilers***)

Mallus

Validated User
So while time-traveling Michael is still a primary contender for being the Red Angel, I think another strong possibility is Georgiou.
I really like that. Burnham as the Angel is just too... neat. Tidy, unsatisfying. But Georgiou atoning and possibly anti-bootstrapping herself out of existence trying to save the Federation, and Burhman, from an evolved Section 31 AI that's getting its start right now using time travel in the Kyle Reese-approved fashion... I can dig that.

Fits what we've seen so far: the Federation computer awakening into sentience over time in "Calypso", the 'throwaway' line about Section 31's threat assessment AI, the vision of machine intelligences wiping out what seem to be the Federation homeworlds, the name of this weeks ep name checking Daedalus - a go-to reference for connoting technological overreach when you're tired of using Prometheus.

Last edited:

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
How would that jibe with the S31 series plans, featuring Michelle Yeoh? I guess they can just say "she's there partly to keep an eye on Control"...

Donan

Validated User
My take right now is that they manage to take down Control, S31 is officially disbanded due to nearly bringing about the AIpocalypse, but Georgiou grabs who she can and retreats into the shadows, taking it fully rogue.

Calsypo seems to suggest that starship computers have the capacity for gaining sentience, wtih enough time and development. Though she wasn't hostile or aggressive in the slightest.

Gallowglacht

Validated User
She was also emphatic about still following her last orders to wait where she was, even though she knew nobody was coming back. Doesn't seem like the Rogue AI type.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I'm still not necessarily sold on 'machine intelligence', though I admit I can't think of an option that makes more sense.

I'd still really like it if the Krenim were involved in these time shenanigans, even if they don't recognize it, but that's not happening.

Asklepios

Validated User
My take right now is that they manage to take down Control, S31 is officially disbanded due to nearly bringing about the AIpocalypse, but Georgiou grabs who she can and retreats into the shadows, taking it fully rogue.

Calsypo seems to suggest that starship computers have the capacity for gaining sentience, wtih enough time and development. Though she wasn't hostile or aggressive in the slightest.
Huh, never realised all the Short Treks were hidden behind "Trailers and More" on Netflix. Binged them last night.

Calypso was weird, felt more like a short Black Mirror episode rather than Star Trek.

I'd note that while Zora was very friendly (and very human), she is essentially a Federation computer full of human media and whose main experiences have been of interactions with humans. It doesn't seem unreasonable that she'd model her emergent sentience around her human and Federation identities.

A self-awakened AI from another civilisation could have very different priorities. Hell, a self-awakened AI on a Section 31 ship would have very different priorities. You could say that the former would have Culture, while the latter would be more suited to Special Circumstances. :)

zwilnik

Validated User
They are kinda setting up Trek's notorious phobias. If ten year's earlier, the Federation had secretly had a close call with a AI from the future, aided by a hijacked cyborg, their wariness of these techs makes more sense in Kirk's day. Add in Kirk's experiences with AI, and Data is understandably suspect. And the more human the authorities acknowledge he is, the more suspect he becomes.

SetentaeBolg

Validated User
If so, they need to set up evil godlikes, to explain Kirk and Spock's "all humans with godlike power become evil" as seen in Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
I think "computer that thinks it's god and that sentient life needs to be wiped out" fills the bill, no snark intended.

Top Bottom