[Star Trek: Discovery] 2x08 If Memory Serves (***Spoilers***)

Tom B

Validated User
Hm. Think they could be angling toward de-techifying due to evil AI? That they could be using this as an excuse to evolve toward the more analog look of the original series?

LibraryLass

Feminazgûl
Banned
Validated User
Hm. Think they could be angling toward de-techifying due to evil AI? That they could be using this as an excuse to evolve toward the more analog look of the original series?
I would be extremely disappointed if they take that angle. Slavish devotion to "visual canon" shows me a lack of respect for the audience's intelligence and ability to suspend disbelief.

Gallowglacht

Validated User
They seemed happy to show the relatively primitive Original Series effects and scenery in the "previously on Star Trek" bit.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
I am way too invested in getting to see the TOS bridge faithfully reimagined with this show's sensibilities. Maybe by the end of the season? - especially if they have any plans for a Pike 1701 series...

LibraryLass

Feminazgûl
Banned
Validated User
They seemed happy to show the relatively primitive Original Series effects and scenery in the "previously on Star Trek" bit.
Exactly so. My point is that I want them to respect the audience's intelligence enough to recognize that just because the Enterprise looked like that in the 1960s doesn't mean that the Enterprise looking slightly different now means it's not the same Enterprise. Any differences require no further explanation in-universe.

Tom B

Validated User
I would be extremely disappointed if they take that angle. Slavish devotion to "visual canon" shows me a lack of respect for the audience's intelligence and ability to suspend disbelief.
I agree. The thought just struck me as I was reading some of the comments.

Theodore Jay Miller

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Exactly so. My point is that I want them to respect the audience's intelligence enough to recognize that just because the Enterprise looked like that in the 1960s doesn't mean that the Enterprise looking slightly different now means it's not the same Enterprise. Any differences require no further explanation in-universe.
Yeah, that's just a matter of presentation. They didn't have to describe how Captain Kirk's face alters during fights, to explain sometimes seeing the stunt man instead of William Shatner.

4th of Eleven

Validated User
Obviously he learned the same shape-shifting powers as Garth of Izar from the Antosans!

(I love that in that episode, shape-shifting is apparently just a skill you can learn if you know the right people to teach you...)

Top Bottom