• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Star Trek: Discovery] 2x08 If Memory Serves (***Spoilers***)

Donan

Validated User
So am I right in thinking that Control (the AI running S31) is likely the big bad? It launches the world destroyer ships, wipes out pretty much everyone, but someone manages to create a suit to travel back in time and to try and prevent it. Which would explain why S31 is so focused on Spock, he's a direct threat to Control's intentions due to his contact with the time traveler.

Meanwhile, the probe Discovery launched is captured by the AI in the future, which, aware of the Angel but possibly being unable to find him/her, loads it with a version of itself and sends it back with the intention of possessing Airiam (it would know about her due to historical records, most likely). At whiih point it contacts Control in the present and sends it relevant information.

It does firlmy show that S31 and their belief of tough men making tough choices, isn't just making the threat worse. They are the threat, even if they're too blinded to see it.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
It's certainly possible, but it would come across kind of too tidy for my taste, really diminishing the breadth of the universe to loop the plot back to being about Starfleet versus Bureau 13* Section 31.

* Bureau 13 was actually the Babylon 5 version of Section 31. They only ever used them in one story because it turned out the name also had been taken by, IIRC, an X-files ripoff RPG about fighting alien infiltrators or something along those lines.

Last edited:

SetentaeBolg

Validated User
I don't understand how whatever-it-is-from-the-future manages to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy. I mean, that includes quite a few godlike alien races, the Devil-thing at the Galactic Core, the Borg, the Planet Killer, loads of stuff that in itself could cope with planet destroying missiles. I'm going to assume that was an exaggeration and what was really meant was "all the Federation level and below species within a few thousand light years of Federation space".

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, one, they may be the Borg. The whole we sent tech and they returned it more advanced and assimilated could be it.

But yea, I just made more or less the same conclusion. It is going to be Federation, Klingons, etc.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
How do you actually go about killing the Prophets?
Would you have to kill them across all of time?
I mean you close the wormhole but that's not going to kill them.

SetentaeBolg

Validated User
Well, one, they may be the Borg. The whole we sent tech and they returned it more advanced and assimilated could be it.

But yea, I just made more or less the same conclusion. It is going to be Federation, Klingons, etc.
I really don't think it's going to be the Borg. For one, they are sentient life in the galaxy, for two, they assimilate rather than destroy.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I really don't think it's going to be the Borg. For one, they are sentient life in the galaxy, for two, they assimilate rather than destroy.
Borg assimilate in two situations:
a) give race has something meanifull to add to collective
b) They need manpower right now.

Otherwise, they are quite willing to destroy species that find unworthy of adding to the collective.

Senex

Gunboat Diplomat
Validated User
There was an episode of DS9 where a Pagh Wraith coerced O'Brien into rigging a chroniton beam with the aim of killing the Prophets. He managed to turn it on the Pagh Wraith (which are the same species) and it seemed to do the job.

Since chronitons are Star Trek's generic time travel plot device radiation particles, I'd guess that yes, it works killing them at all points in time simultaneously.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
The probe being assimilated and sent back tells me that whoever is at the other end of time is working with really scarce resources and really advanced knowledge. So they'll assimilate a probe rather than send their own, but they know how to turn it into a super-intelligent laser squid.

Oh, about the SQL injections? I also thought that was hilarious and clearly written by someone who has heard someone talk about computer security without any knowledge of what the words meant. BUT...I find it hilarious that the term "SQL Injection" has become non-technical by the 23rd century, and just means 'unexpectedly entered database queries'. It's like Xerox became a verb.

What Senex said, chroniton based weapons that hit their whole timeline. Or other things like the Krenim weapon that retgone things.

It's really odd to realize that the Federation, while not at the level of the Prophets, are at least playing the same game.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
On Hugh... Maybe too earlier to say the marriage ended, but at this point it can go anyway, he resolves his issues and comes back, he doesnt, he dies again (he seems to be suicidal right now...)

Top Bottom