[Star Trek: Discovery] 2x08 If Memory Serves (***Spoilers***)

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
I noticed that when Pike and the others returned to the bridge, Ariam was sitting in the Captain's Chair.

Was it just because she was next in rank as a Lieutenant Commander after Pike, Saru, and Burnham? Or did she use the opportunity to mess with the command systems?

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What was that quote from Saru? Something like: "There is no established procedure for Humans with Klingons in their bones and a medical officer who has returned from the dead?"
I do like snarky Saru.

I noticed that when Pike and the others returned to the bridge, Ariam was sitting in the Captain's Chair.

Was it just because she was next in rank as a Lieutenant Commander after Pike, Saru, and Burnham? Or did she use the opportunity to mess with the command systems?
I presumed it the former or both.
No one mentioned anything, and sitting in Captians chair when you're not acting captain is frowned upon.

macd21

Validated User
I don't understand how whatever-it-is-from-the-future manages to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy. I mean, that includes quite a few godlike alien races, the Devil-thing at the Galactic Core, the Borg, the Planet Killer, loads of stuff that in itself could cope with planet destroying missiles. I'm going to assume that was an exaggeration and what was really meant was "all the Federation level and below species within a few thousand light years of Federation space".
Remember that ‘wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy’ is just Burnham’s in-character shorthand description of what she and Spock saw. She doesn’t know about the existence of a lot of the god-like/weird creatures that the Federation will encounter over the next century or so.

Daz Florp Lebam

Grand Poobah
Validated User
I loved a lot of things about this episode, but I've only seen it once so can someone tell me what was actually accomplished by getting Spock to Talos IV? Like, why did Spock need to go there? They...illusioned him out of madness?

I'm not complaining, mind you, I just don't know if I'll get around to watching it again any time soon.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I loved a lot of things about this episode, but I've only seen it once so can someone tell me what was actually accomplished by getting Spock to Talos IV? Like, why did Spock need to go there? They...illusioned him out of madness?
Talosian are powerfull telepath (since they illusions are psychic), so they help Spock put together his brain (after being put in the state of persiving time as a non-continuum) and allowing him start building new foundation of his logic.

Basically they psychic healed Spock, for the price of being able to delve in to his and Burnham memories.
It also allowed Spock to pass on what he saw to Brunham directly, but could have been done with a mindmeld.

Daz Florp Lebam

Grand Poobah
Validated User
That's what I thought, I guess I just never saw the Talosians as able to affect thoughts and the subconscious, just read them, and communicate telepathically.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's what I thought, I guess I just never saw the Talosians as able to affect thoughts and the subconscious, just read them, and communicate telepathically.
It's implied that they can forcibly enter and dig around in peoples minds, which I'd assume counts as affecting thoughts.

Top Bottom