Star Trek Discovery - Red Angel - Spoilers

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
To be clear, I dont remember what it was, but my impression was that she was blackmailing Leland, yes, but with something that Leland's bosses would find interesting. Something Leland was hiding from them.

Asklepios

Validated User
Well. LTTP on this one.

Basically just wasn't a very good episode.

I don't think it's anything specific, just a combination of poor pacing, pedestrian dialogue, overacting and a general paucity of plot. Very disappointing overall. None of the dramatic beats felt dramatic, none of the grand revelations felt grand. The funeral intended to be tearjerking filled me with apathy. Michael's supposed danger was completely undercut by the fact that we know she's the one character the series gives absolute plot immunity to. The fact that anyone was surprised at the suggestion that the Angel was Michael was ridiculous - someone's response (probably Spock) should have been "I was entertaining that hypothesis, and this provides confirmation". Michael punching a starship captain because he was historically in command of her parent's final mission, also absolutely ridiculous. Pike should be locking her up for that. Why was she in tears anyway? She knew her parents had been killed. She'd been raised by adoptive parents since a young age. There's no new emotional trauma here, just a little more information about parents she barely knew. A more realistic response would have been "Look, I want to know more about my parents. But this is the big secret you've been holding back? There's an existential threat to all sentient life we need to deal with first. When this is all dealt with, let's talk again. Now - is there anything you're holding back that might actually be relevant or important to saving all life in the galaxy?"

I guess these slow burner episodes are a narrative necessity in the run up to a great season finale, but I essentially yawned my way through this whole episode.

I've seen worse Trek, but this is a low point for Discovery so far.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They won't throw her in prison for genocide, torture and cannibalism because only she has the leet s&m ninja skills to assassinate members of the Klingon council. They wouldn't do it for telling on her superior officer!
They won't throw her into prison for genocide, torture and cannibalism because it all happened in another universe where it was legal, and she was a head of state at the time. If she decided to chow down on Saru in this universe, there would be consequences.

SetentaeBolg

Validated User
They won't throw her into prison for genocide, torture and cannibalism because it all happened in another universe where it was legal, and she was a head of state at the time. If she decided to chow down on Saru in this universe, there would be consequences.
There's a concept of universal jurisdiction for especially heinous crimes, like war crimes, genocide or slavery. To me, an advanced civilisation willing to let someone who has directly committed genocide roam free is a tremendous moral failure on a par with letting those Nazis responsible for such crimes go after WWII. Where that happened historically, it was a failure of justice and of the law. Likewise here.

Aeolusdallas

Validated User
They won't throw her in prison for genocide, torture and cannibalism because only she has the leet s&m ninja skills to assassinate members of the Klingon council. They wouldn't do it for telling on her superior officer!
They won't throw her in prison for the things she did in the mirror universe because they clearly dont have jurisdiction

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Meanwhile, we let the Terran Empire continue its abuses. The Klingons do all that, too, yet the Federation's never gone after them, either.

Top Bottom