• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Star Trek Discovery - Red Angel - Spoilers

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I feel weird about this episode - I enjoyed it, but the holes oh god the holes are eating at my brain.

The Mousetrap doesn't work. It's based on the idea that the Red Angel appears to save Burnham - except that's based on two data points, neither of which support the Mousetrap.

First: the Red Angel appeared to save Michael on the asteroid. Except she didn't save Michael, as far as we know? Unless I misremember, she just appeared and walked towards an awe-struck Michael then vanished as Pike appeared to beam her out. So that one doesn't fit the theory, since Michael would have lived without the Red Angel.

Second: when Michael was in deadly danger as a child, the Red Angel appeared to Spock and told him where she could be found, letting him tell their parents, who then saved her. So this one was in response to Michael being under threat of death - but the Red Angel didn't appear at her time or location. She appeared earlier, with enough time to tell Spock, for Spock to pass on the message, and then for travel time.

So, evidence that the Angel will appear at a dying Michael's side to get caught in the Mousetrap? I don't see it.

Worse though: why doesn't the Red Angel just explain herself? They ask that question and brush it aside with the suit's radiation limiting traditional radio and sensor communication. But she could communicate with child-Spock well enough to pass on Michael's location... so why not have a word with adult-Spock?
Why didn't she talk? I assume that's going to be what the next episode is about.

Loew

Validated User
one small thought regarding the Georgiou debate:
the most direct proof we have that she is cannibalistic (even if that is not quite the correct word for eating someone of another sentient species) is the scene in S1 where she offered Michael some food with Kelpien ganglia in it. We now know that Kelpiens can lose the ganglia without dying.

But even if the writer use this as a way out, I can still agree that there is quite a discrepancy between what we now about her deeds in the mirror universe and how she is presented now in the show. I absolutely love seeing Michelle Yeoh beeing badass, but it gets unconfortable thinking about the character

petros

Validated User
one small thought regarding the Georgiou debate:
the most direct proof we have that she is cannibalistic (even if that is not quite the correct word for eating someone of another sentient species) is the scene in S1 where she offered Michael some food with Kelpien ganglia in it. We now know that Kelpiens can lose the ganglia without dying.

But even if the writer use this as a way out, I can still agree that there is quite a discrepancy between what we now about her deeds in the mirror universe and how she is presented now in the show. I absolutely love seeing Michelle Yeoh beeing badass, but it gets unconfortable thinking about the character
There was also a fairly strong implication that the Empress liked having Kelpians around as her clandestine personal guard, with most of the Kelpians believing they were there for lower slave duties, but all of them strongly motivated and very capable of stopping would-be assassins.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
There was also a fairly strong implication that the Empress liked having Kelpians around as her clandestine personal guard, with most of the Kelpians believing they were there for lower slave duties, but all of them strongly motivated and very capable of stopping would-be assassins.
I don’t remember that implication but it’s certainly an interesting idea.

petros

Validated User
I think there was a scene with mirror-Saru protecting Burnham from an assassination attempt while bathing her. (what? it was the mirror universe!) He threw the guy across the room like it was nothing. Don't remember which episode it would be in though.

petros

Validated User
I think there was a scene with mirror-Saru protecting Burnham from an assassination attempt while bathing her. (what? it was the mirror universe!) He threw the guy across the room like it was nothing. Don't remember which episode it would be in though.
I'm mixing up two scenes. Saru does the whole 'slave bathes master' thing, and later Ash / Voq goes nuts and mirror-Saru effortlessly stops him. 'The Wolf Inside'.

Since then I was certain that the Empress kept the Kelpians around for just this purpose. They're completely apolitical, totally lacking in ambition, and absolute badasses.

William Where

Oschel Editions
Validated User
The case with not being able to enjoy the Empress as villain/anti-villain/anti-hero should not be very different with enjoying Lorca in the first season as anti-hero/villain. Both are very evil Terran emperors pretending to be good enough starfleet officers. Only differences are: we know she is evil a priori, while with Lorca we knew a posteriori; and she has to pretend less because S31 is less "morally restrictive" than starship captaincy.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Only differences are: we know she is evil a priori, while with Lorca we knew a posteriori; and she has to pretend less because S31 is less "morally restrictive" than starship captaincy.
THat's a very important diffrance, aside of the fact traht lorca's crimes, while similar were of lesser magnitude due to his rank.

Top Bottom