• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Star Trek] Further Picard Details

HDimagination

Building something out of Scrap
Validated User
More details for the setup for the Picard spin off in THR

(......Spoiler Space.......)

So dealing with the fall out from the destruction of Romulus? You know what? I'm totally here for that. There was a lot of build up for conflict between Romulans and the Federation in Next Gen, and it never really came to a head. If they could pull this off, this could really be something.

(apologies I couldn't see an existing thread, Please mods, feel free to merge if I missed it).

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
I honestly don’t know what I’d love more. A straight up Picard show, or Blunt Talk in the Star Trek universe.
A post Romulus destruction universe could be good for either, so count me as still excited. :)

Seriously, though- this sounds great. There’s a lot of relevant commentary that could be wrung out of a post-Romulus Empire boardering an insanely prosperous Federation.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
Thoughts, off the top of my head:

There are many, many Romulan citizens who survive the end of Romulus.

All the Romulan ships not near Romulus survived.

Does the secret of Red Matter die with Romulus?

This is only a few years after the events of ST: Nemesis, so I'm curious what the state of the Romulan Empire is when Romulus goes kablooey.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is only a few years after the events of ST: Nemesis, so I'm curious what the state of the Romulan Empire is when Romulus goes kablooey.
You could have the Empire split in two, with the more xenophobic faction possibly partnering up with some other xenophobic race to keep the Federation at bay.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mild disappoint, but mostly because it seems less cool (to me) than the Star Fleet Academy show I made up in my head. Which is hard to blame them for. Still interested but purely on the strength of new Star Trek with Sir Patrick, that premise is only mildly interesting on it's own.

Intriguing that they are going with an Abrams plot point in the original timeline. It hadn't occured to me, because I think of them as seperate, that the destruction of Romulus is the linking thing between the two universes.

So Romulus exploding is purely from the Abrams trek movies. But it technically happens in the original timeline and dude's time travel creates the spinoff timeline of those movies? Do I have that right?

Qwa'ha Xahn

Validated User
I wonder if they’ll take any inspiration at all from Star Trek: Online? It’s story covers post-destruction Romulus in great detail. It’d be pretty impossible to use the whole thing, but there were some decent ideas in there, many that would line up with Picard’s diplomacy/archeology interests.

Qwa'ha Xahn

Validated User
So Romulus exploding is purely from the Abrams trek movies. But it technically happens in the original timeline and dude's time travel creates the spinoff timeline of those movies? Do I have that right?
Yes, but I think it’s been stated to be more than just time travel. They’re treating it like Nero went to an alternate universe. That way the original timeline marches on, and any continuity bumps have an easy explanation.*

*my favorite (fanon) one being that, in the Abrams’ universe, Apple got the interior design contract for the Constitution class. :)

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Mild disappoint, but mostly because it seems less cool (to me) than the Star Fleet Academy show I made up in my head. Which is hard to blame them for. Still interested but purely on the strength of new Star Trek with Sir Patrick, that premise is only mildly interesting on it's own.

Intriguing that they are going with an Abrams plot point in the original timeline. It hadn't occured to me, because I think of them as seperate, that the destruction of Romulus is the linking thing between the two universes.

Yep. The original timeline still exists, so it was an event that created an alternate universe rather than retconning things. Which is not unprecedented.

I wonder if they’ll take any inspiration at all from Star Trek: Online? It’s story covers post-destruction Romulus in great detail. It’d be pretty impossible to use the whole thing, but there were some decent ideas in there, many that would line up with Picard’s diplomacy/archeology interests.
I think they’ve got a best of both worlds situation (heh) in that they get to use Star Trek Online as a source of inspiration without being bound by it.

The most obvious thing to address is whether the supernova was still amped up to a sub space explosion by the Iconians

Top Bottom