• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Star Trek Online] Thread 5: The Voyage Somewhere to the Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asymptotic Binary

Totally A Pigeon
The last thread is getting close to cap, so I thought I'd go ahead and start a new one.

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4

Copying from the last thread starter (which was mpswaim copying Bull):

This is the ongoing Star Trek Online Discussion Thread for the RPGnet Fleets Vanguard Group Omega(Federation) and The House of V'Go (Klingon). Star Trek Online is a completely Free to Play game produced by Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment.

What are the membership requirements to join one of the STO Fleets?

Be friendly, be a hoopy frood, join the RPGnet chat channel, and ask someone to join. Simple as that?

How do I join the Channel?

Hit "Esc" to open up your options, and click on Chat to open your chat options. From there, you can join a new channel. To talk in the channel, simply type /rpgnet <blah> in the chat window field (It defaults to sticky channels, so it should remember your last chat channel, so after that you can just chat normally.)

I'm in chat and I see talk about wizards and superheroes? What's up with that??

All cryptic games share a global chat server, so the RPGnet chat channel extends across all three of Cryptics current MMOs: Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter Online. It can occasionally be confusing. Personally, I just imagine that Champions and Neverwinter are both just Holodeck programs that our STO captains are playing.

That's a big download! Can I find check out the game somehow to find out more without downloading?

Sure. There's are a fair number of YouTube videos and "Watch Me Play" videos. I myself actually have a Star Trek Channel where I have some Play Series videos as well as a few tutorials and such. You can check that out here.

Does the game have built-in voice chat?

It does, but it's glitchy and wonky on its best days. No one bothers to use it, and most folks have it disabled. However, we do have a Teamspeak Server hosted by Jingizu Shadowsong (@Jingizu in game) for RPGnet use.

You can download Teamspeak 3 here . The Login information is Server: 69.65.43.91:10497 PW: iplaysto

How can I keep track of everyone, what with all the alts and weird names? How can I tell who is who?

Two things. For one, in your chat options you can toggle the @handles on. With it off, I might just show up as "Bull". But I also play Gammra, Dagg, Khe'var, and a bunch of others, so it gets hard to keep track of. But if you toggle it on, it will show me as Bull@Bulldrek, or Gammra@Bulldrek, or... Well, you get the picture.

The second thing is if you're in the fleet, go to the fleet roster (It's a button under your minimap on the right, will look like three faction symbols). Go to the roster, and under Member Comments put in your RPGnet Handle (Or note that you're a "Friend of X" if you're not an RPGnet member. Which I just realized is silly to explain here. ).

If I have any questions about the fleet, who should I ask?

Pretty much anyone should be able to help, and almost everyone can do fleet invites. For anything more important or serious, talk to myself (@bulldrek) or Black Maggot (@beef.supreme), as we're the current active ranking Admirals for the fleet.

Can I listen to some sweet tunes while I play?

Yup! Our very own Kaiu Keiichi (@coridan) is DJ Photon and has an show on Subspace Radio!

Last edited by a moderator:

dkellis

Validated User
I keep getting thrown off by how the thread titles appear to be offset by one movie.

Random idle question: Target Subsystems is awesome, but it's one of those awesome bits where I'm not sure whether it's effective. Usually I use Target Shields and Target Weapons, but it occurs to me that the others might have some use I'm missing out on.

How does everyone use Target Subsystems, taking into account the different types of enemy ships?

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just as a note, some of us are making an event of getting together on Saturday evenings for some group content. Last week we did the dyson ground battlezone and had a lot of fun; if enough people show up tomorrow night we might try that again or maybe some space content, depending on what people want to do.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For people flying carriers, I just put a rare Mk XII RCS console in the fleet bank.

Bashere

Still has four eyes
Validated User
How can I keep track of everyone, what with all the alts and weird names? How can I tell who is who?

Two things. For one, in your chat options you can toggle the @handles on. With it off, I might just show up as "Bull". But I also play Gammra, Dagg, Khe'var, and a bunch of others, so it gets hard to keep track of. But if you toggle it on, it will show me as Bull@Bulldrek, or Gammra@Bulldrek, or... Well, you get the picture.

I don't think you are Bull. :p

As for Target Subsystem, I use it mainly on science ships to suppress their abilities.

And what time are the scheduled runs on Saturday?

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't think you are Bull. :p

As for Target Subsystem, I use it mainly on science ships to suppress their abilities.

And what time are the scheduled runs on Saturday?
It's not really a set time, other than fairly late evenings. I usually get on around 6-7pm pacific.

Last edited:

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As I said, I was C&P'ing mpswaim's C&P of Bull's first post. :)

I wouldn't group play getting started earlier, since 6 - 7 PM Pacific is rather late by my body clock (which is used to getting up at 6 AM Eastern on the weekdays).
Unfortunately, I'm busy evenings so that's the soonest I can get on. But that's why I didn't set a specific time; if people are on earlier they can get a group together and if it's still going when I show up I'll jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom