• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Star Trek Online] Thread 5: The Voyage Somewhere to the Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Unfortunately, it was set up with larger fleets in mind. We've had what, maybe 10-15 active players at most at any given point. Maybe? With only a handful of those being really active in donating and such?

But there are fleets with hundreds of members. This was originally a sink to give those guys something to do, in my opinion. And if they'd made it more reasonable for small fleets, like ours, it would have been something large fleets would have knocked out in a matter of days.

It's been an issue since it was implemented, to be honest. At some point the devs talked about possibly making bases scale based on membership size, but thet were worried (probably rightly so) that this would lead to fleets dumping inactive members and punishing or dumping members who didn't donate a minimum amount.

The Dil Mine was something added to help give smaller fleets a way to overcome the Dil hurdles to a degree, though I don;t think it worked quite as well as they had hoped. And costs have been slashed or tweaked a number of times. Early on, projects required different rarities of Doffs instead of just white common doffs, and required unusual or rare items that you only got from certain doff missions or as rare finds doing ground stuff. And stuff was way more expensive at one point as well.

Even at launch, we knew when we started the Fleet Starbase that it was a project that would take years, if it was ever completed. And that if it was, some of us might no longer be around to see it. It's kind of poetic in that respect, honestly.

Still, all things considered, I'm proud of how well our Starbase developed. We're a tiny fleet really, but our base is pretty kickass. :)

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We are making progress on the starbase, it's just that hitting T5 requires a massive amount of resources. Also, we've got the new fleet holding diverting resources. It's coming along pretty well, so hopefully we can get it to T2 pretty soon. If you look at our armada, there's the fleets that've completed everything, then us, then everyone else. We're not really lagging.

Speaking of starbases, my KDF characters are members of a T5 fleet. If I'm on, I can do fleet invites to any of our holdings. Just ask on the rpgnet channel. (For people that don't know, that means that you can use our shops to buy stuff using your resources, giving access to stuff that your holdings don't give access to yet.)

Derek

Validated User
Are Fleet ships able to use all the same skins as their regular counterparts? I want to give my 23rd century captain a Paladin or Sagittarius with the old-school look, but want to make sure I'm not wasting her resources on a ship that it won't work on.

4th of Eleven

Validated User
Are Fleet ships able to use all the same skins as their regular counterparts? I want to give my 23rd century captain a Paladin or Sagittarius with the old-school look, but want to make sure I'm not wasting her resources on a ship that it won't work on.
As far as I know, yes, they can.

Tyrrell

Go Play Ars Magica
Validated User
I use a fleet ship and I can get all of the options for it (although this didn't use to be the case).

Monkey King

Your computer is literally haunted
Validated User
Secret undocumented feature: If you own a mirror universe ship on a character, that skin is available to other ships in the same class as well. Feds might not care, but I've found that the Ha'apex warbird looks pretty nasty with the MU hull material.

Hello Kaiju

Squeeonk!
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, Winter Wonderland is almost over, and I kinda have a lot of holiday currency. I'm not sure if there's anything worth spending it on. Not particularly interested in the holiday vanity pets. Could get another coat or two for various characters, looks like if all else I can trade the holiday currency for Latinum.

Is any of the other gear worth getting? I think there's kits and then 3 levels of a boff skill. All the characters have the Breen warp/singularity either equipped on a ship or stashed in the bank for when they're able to equip it. Two of them have the ship boxed up in their banks until they level more.

kenichi-kun

Validated User
I've started this on PS4... not much to add at this point. A Command Bajoran Federation guy, but I might switch to an engineering one. Otherwise I'm looking at a Command/Tactiacl Orion for KDF and a Scientist Romulan probably.

Fun so far, though the controls are a bit funky.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Most of the holiday pets are only active during the winter event. (I know that the gingerbread men are. Not sure about the others.) The kits and boff skills are all good. There's also the frosted boots, if you don't have them, yet. (I also like the jackets, and typically load up on them when I get a new character.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom