• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Star Wars] Episode IX News [The Rise of Skywalker]

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Except if it's just two guys, and only one of them is the teacher, there's zero incentive to actually pay attention to the "rule." The new teacher gets to do whatever the hell they want. No one's going to punish them for it. And no teacher's going to take on an apprentice with the knowledge or hope of their student one day killing them (or having to kill their student, a valuable asset that they've put a lot of time and effort into making a worthwhile apprentice). It's not a "logical" step, it just looks like what would naturally happen, but there's zero ability to enforce it, and anyone can just decide to take on thirty apprentices, or let their apprentice go off to be their own master with their own apprentice. It just doesn't happen often because of the natural tendency for selfish people who openly channels aggressive mumbo-jumbo to shank each other. It's not like a student-master combo somehow enables easier access to the Dark Side, which would be the one passed-down teaching that actually would move from one student to the next by virtue of having a palpable effect and benefit.
It doesn’t have to be realistic, just fantasy plausible. The teacher obeys the rule of one apprentice because more than one is too much to keep an eye on, and they take an apprentice because somebody has to do the shit jobs. And so long as the Jedi still exist and there’s an enemy that hasn’t killed a Sith for hundreds of years- the “rule” appears to them to be working. No need to break it, because the plan is working, and as far as individual masters are concerned “I’ll be the one to finally end the Jedi, and afterwards I’ll make the rules.” One of the reasons why it’s taken hundreds of years is probably because the masters aren’t passing on all that they know. Much as Palpatine killed his own master before learning the secret of creating life.

As for the spirit of the rules... those get broken all the time- Palpatine’s Inquisitors, Tyrannus had Asaj Ventress, etc. etc.

Last edited:

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
It doesn’t have to be realistic, just fantasy plausible. The teacher obeys the rule of one apprentice because more than one is too much to keep an eye on, and they take an apprentice because somebody has to do the shit jobs. And so long as the Jedi still exist and there’s an enemy that hasn’t killed a Sith for hundreds of years- the “rule” appears to them to be working. No need to break it, because the plan is working, and as far as individual masters are concerned “I’ll be the one to finally end the Jedi, and afterwards I’ll make the rules.” One of the reasons why it’s taken hundreds of years is probably because the masters aren’t passing on all that they know. Much as Palpatine killed his own master before learning the secret of creating life.

As for the spirit of the rules... those get broken all the time- Palpatine’s Inquisitors, Tyrannus had Asaj Ventress, etc. etc.
Sure, I taught him a lot about the Darkside but he's not my apprentice because shut up.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
A Sith master doesn't have to justify anything to anyone about the "rule of two" because there's literally no one to call them out on it, which is why it's a silly "rule" to begin with.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
A Sith master doesn't have to justify anything to anyone about the "rule of two" because there's literally no one to call them out on it, which is why it's a silly "rule" to begin with.
It’s not a question of justifying it, it’s a question of them being convinced that it’s working, and they are. So they keep doing it, while occasionally also having tons of “not really” apprentices, because, as you say: there’s no one to call them out on it. But of course they keep telling the apprentice about the rule, because they want to control that apprentice. Who then wants to control theirs once they kill that old fool who never understood the true power of the dark side. :)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sith are, inherently, going to fudge and break rules. So 'only two' of course translates into '... and I'll keep a pool of 2-3 alternates in mind, plus use some darkside pawns as long as they don't lead back to me.'

If the rules said that, then they'd have 2-3 full apprentices, a pool of a half dozen alternates, and 20-30 darkside pawns.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Sith are, inherently, going to fudge and break rules. So 'only two' of course translates into '... and I'll keep a pool of 2-3 alternates in mind, plus use some darkside pawns as long as they don't lead back to me.'

If the rules said that, then they'd have 2-3 full apprentices, a pool of a half dozen alternates, and 20-30 darkside pawns.
Which we've seen quite often. Half the time, Apprentices take on secret apprentices of their own long before they're going to overthrow their masters, and Masters routinely keep a few "alternate" apprentices around, encouraging them to hunt and kill the official Apprentice to take his place, or be killed as a test of the official Apprentice's skills.

And of course, "merely" fallen Jedi don't count as Sith Apprentices until the Master takes them on as such.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I always thought the Rule of Two was a lame interpretation of Yoda's line in TPM, but at this point I think it works best as something the Sith cling to when things are going badly. When they have power, they have no incentive to follow anyone's rules but their own. But when the Jedi inevitably beat them down, Darth Bane's old rulebook starts to look more appealing as a part of the order that actually endures.

Anyway it's all in the hands of J. J. Abrams and Chris Terrio now...

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Banned
Validated User
The last time this came up, someone phrased it something like the rule of two isn't so much about how many dark side users there are as how many get to put Darth in their name.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My personal interpretation of Yoda's line was always that if you find one Sith, there's at least one more and the one you found probably wasn't the most dangerous one.

Top Bottom