[Star Wars] Has the new KotOR series inspired you?

Tipsy

Validated User
I'm only half way through the first trade paperback (purchased because my love of Star Wars is re-emerging like a long supressed memory) and it is pure gold. Honestly, I suspect the plot will go epic, but I am glad that it isn't starting that way either. Instead, the characters are being established, placed in peril, and the threats are escalting.

More importantly the writing is compelling, the art is solid, and the characters are easy to empathize with. In other words it is a model story. And really, I'm not sure if I agree with Kiero that the story is somehow un-Star Wars like in it's not being immeadiately huge and epic. A New Hope started off being a fairly personal story about two bumbling droids, a whiney farm boy and a pair of neer do well smugglers. From this more intimate and human situation the story escalated into an epic.

In my opinion, one of the flaws shared between the prequels and the Tales of Jedi comics is that they both just jumped right to huge and epic without any real effort establish the little stories and intimacies that make one care for a group of characters.

So yeah, the new KotOR is inspiring not just as a potential campaign setting, but in a more general sense of how to build a story. And really that is invaluable to any kind of storytelling, be it getting an RPG campaign in motion or writing one's own fiction.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
More importantly the writing is compelling, the art is solid, and the characters are easy to empathize with. In other words it is a model story. And really, I'm not sure if I agree with Kiero that the story is somehow un-Star Wars like in it's not being immeadiately huge and epic. A New Hope started off being a fairly personal story about two bumbling droids, a whiney farm boy and a pair of neer do well smugglers. From this more intimate and human situation the story escalated into an epic.
To be honest, I don't much rate ANH. I consider this series an exception that proves the rule; generally starting small doesn't interest me a great deal, but the execution here (as you pointed out) is flawless. Not least because Zayne has a little more about him than that whiny farmboy.

Though I'd note that there are epic events going on, just that they're in the backdrop. There's the conflict with the Mandalorians on the Rim. The Jedi might not be officially involved yet, but plenty of them are off to join the "crusade". Plus there's that whole hidden manipulator in the Temple* who started this all off.

Spoiler: Show
My money says it's Kreia.

Caldorian

Dhammaṭṭho
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes. At the moment, I'm working on a short series (3 adventures) during the war against Revan and Malak.
Basically, it's a prequel to the first KotOR game:
In the first adventure, the heroes must prevent the Sith from finding and robbing a hidden Jedi archive with Sith artifacts from Exar Kun's Great Sith War. In the second advendure, they face Revan for the first time and find out his weakness. In the third adventure, they form the strike team (the one with Bastila) that confronts the Sith Lord on his bridge and defeat him.

Here's a mock-up poster and opening crawl I've done:

And here a pic of the templates the players can choose from:

(Yes, I had to brag a bit...) ;)

Caldorian

Dhammaṭṭho
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That poster is absolutely rocking!
Thanks! :)

Unfortunately, the other stuff suffers a bit from me not being a native English speaker...

What I want to achieve with this series is that it will be possible to spontaneously sit down with players and start playing within half an hour. Thus, the poster (to set the mood), the opening crawl (to tell them what all this is about) and the templates. In combination with the computer games soundtracks and sound FX (and probably also miniatures), it will be a multimedia experience. Additionally, the contents of the first adventure depend on what templates the players choose -- for example, if one of the players chooses the Jedi General, there will be a battle... whether this will be a space battle or a ground battle depends whether another player has chosen the Jedi Pilot, and so on.

Blue Seraph

Validated User
While that is a cool plotline (a really cool plotline, actually), it is of note that Juhani as portrayed in KotOR actually prefered women. Try "flirting" with her with both a male and female character, and contrast the results. Not trying to rain on the parade -- just trying to give you a heads up in case you one day get a player who's aware of that from the videogame.
Thanks! I know Juhani prefers women. But as everyone knows, that violates one of the Three Laws of Space Opera:

1. There is sound in space.
2. Always make things big.
3. Hot cat girls are always bisexual. ;)

Blue Seraph

Validated User
Revan must be kinda dumb to realize such thing only at this point.
"Realizes" in the sense of "finally admits." What I'd like to capture is the idea of a disillusioned Revan rejecting the Jedi and the Sith, heading out to the Outer Rim to do his own thing. The Cathari will have their own Code which has elements from both the Jedi and Sith littanies, allowing a Jedi player a third option.

Caldorian

Dhammaṭṭho
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Looks great! What are the rows of numbers towards the bottom of each template?
It's a personality mechanic. It's not yet playtested and not yet fully thought through, but it will work like this... There are six dimensions:
Courageous / Fearful
Humble / Proud
Responsible / Reckless
Trusting / Suspicious
Generous / Selfish
Forgiving / Vengeful

They are rated from 2 to 12. The players may distribute 45 personality points on these dimension. In dilemmas or emotional situations, the GM may ask the player to roll 2D; if the roll is the same or below the personality stat, the positive pole dominates, and vice versa. In case of a rolled 2 or 12, the personality score shifts 1 point toward the dominating pole.

I introduced this system because in an all-Jedi group the Dark Side plays such an important part. Falling to the Dark Side just needs some mechanical representation that gives the GM and players a common ground.
Additionally, it makes it possible to tempt others to the Dark Side: By making a Persuasion / Intimidation roll against the target's Willpower, a Sith can force a personality roll. That means --depending on their personalities-- tempted characters are possibly forced to act against the Jedi Code, thus slowly turning to the Dark Side.
Example: Darth Nefari fights a Jedi. The Sith Lord knows from previous interactions that even though this particular Jedi is not particularly vengeful, he is very proud. Thus, when trying to seduce him to the Dark Side, she decides to aim for his pride: She insults him and the Jedi Order. (Persuasion vs. Willpower) If she succeeds, the Jedi must roll on his Humble/Pride-Stat. If he fails, his pride is hurt and he gets angry. (GM decision: A malus on any other personality checks during this exchange.) As a consequence, for the rest of the exchange the Jedi more vengeful than usual. Should Darth Nefari now also succeed in provoking him to attack, he'd gain a Dark Side point... making his first step towards the darkness.

Force-users also have:
Balance / Dark Side
These are normal Dark Side points, with two exception:
1) They go up to 12 now, 2) They can act as a personality mechanic / replace them.
The more Dark Side points a character gets, the more the Dark Side controls the character. In any given moment, the GM may ask the player to roll the Dark Side stat instead of the appropriate personality stat.

Top Bottom