• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Star Wars] Has the new KotOR series inspired you?

Sunhawk

Validated User
It's a personality mechanic. It's not yet playtested and not yet fully thought through, but it will work like this... There are six dimensions:
Courageous / Fearful
Humble / Proud
Responsible / Reckless
Trusting / Suspicious
Generous / Selfish
Forgiving / Vengeful

They are rated from 2 to 12. The players may distribute 45 personality points on these dimension. In dilemmas or emotional situations, the GM may ask the player to roll 2D; if the roll is the same or below the personality stat, the positive pole dominates, and vice versa. In case of a rolled 2 or 12, the personality score shifts 1 point toward the dominating pole.

I introduced this system because in an all-Jedi group the Dark Side plays such an important part. Falling to the Dark Side just needs some mechanical representation that gives the GM and players a common ground.
Additionally, it makes it possible to tempt others to the Dark Side: By making a Persuasion / Intimidation roll against the target's Willpower, a Sith can force a personality roll. That means --depending on their personalities-- tempted characters are possibly forced to act against the Jedi Code, thus slowly turning to the Dark Side.
Example: Darth Nefari fights a Jedi. The Sith Lord knows from previous interactions that even though this particular Jedi is not particularly vengeful, he is very proud. Thus, when trying to seduce him to the Dark Side, she decides to aim for his pride: She insults him and the Jedi Order. (Persuasion vs. Willpower) If she succeeds, the Jedi must roll on his Humble/Pride-Stat. If he fails, his pride is hurt and he gets angry. (GM decision: A malus on any other personality checks during this exchange.) As a consequence, for the rest of the exchange the Jedi more vengeful than usual. Should Darth Nefari now also succeed in provoking him to attack, he'd gain a Dark Side point... making his first step towards the darkness.

Force-users also have:
Balance / Dark Side
These are normal Dark Side points, with two exception:
1) They go up to 12 now, 2) They can act as a personality mechanic / replace them.
The more Dark Side points a character gets, the more the Dark Side controls the character. In any given moment, the GM may ask the player to roll the Dark Side stat instead of the appropriate personality stat.
Oh, this is a very nice mechanic -- and I don't even play Star Wars :p

FatR

Powergamer-in-training
Validated User
It's a personality mechanic. It's not yet playtested and not yet fully thought through, but it will work like this...
Both your poster and you mechanics are excellent! I feel tempted to steal this personality system for our games.

Shalvayez

Slayer of Velsharoon
Ya know, I am a sad case. I've played KOTOR 1 & 2 about 50 times a piece, each time, just a little bit differently, yearning for a chance to play in that universe p&p.

Just disappointed that there won't be a KOTOR 3. :( .

And nothing more cheesy than getting up to level 50 in KOTOR 2. :)

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Ya know, I am a sad case. I've played KOTOR 1 & 2 about 50 times a piece, each time, just a little bit differently, yearning for a chance to play in that universe p&p.

Just disappointed that there won't be a KOTOR 3. :( .

And nothing more cheesy than getting up to level 50 in KOTOR 2. :)
Well, in a recent interview with a Lucasarts bigwig, they said that the two main SW franchises they will continue (apart from the new one) are the Battlefront games and...KOTOR.

J. H. Frank

wasn't born with enough middle fingers
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Threadjack: the statement from LucasArts does nothing to disprove the rumored Bioware KoTOR MMORPG. We now now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Threadjack: the statement from LucasArts does nothing to disprove the rumored Bioware KoTOR MMORPG. We now now return to your regularly scheduled thread.
Ugh, let's hope they're working on KotOR III, rather than some lame Galaxies-a-like.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
I'm sure they could have tried to be more vague about there being another game. All they said was KotOR, along with Battlefront was a franchise they were continuing.
Yeah, but at least it's confirmed that they *will* continue KOTOR.

And considering they're not giving up on Galaxies (as mentioned earlier in the article), I sort of doubt we'll get another SW MMORPG for quite some time.

Top Bottom