Star Wars Saga Question

Wizdoc

Right Trigger of Justice
Me personally, I don't get prestige classes or multi classing at all, I've only used regualr (single) classes in all my games.
I'm neutral on the whole Prestige Class deal. Some are pretty weird (and way too specialized), but in Star Wars, I like the option that, for example, you have one base class like Jedi and you can span out to a Jedi Master or a Sith Lord depending if you want to be "good" or "evil". That's the extent I like them to be, but stuff like chopping up Jedi Master into Jedi Weapon Masters and Jedi Teachers etc. goes way too overboard.

That said, I like the reduced number of base classes and the ability to specialize a bit using Prestige Classes, but I have my reservations that in Saga there are Prestige Classes for both Jedi Knight and Jedi Master in addition to the Jedi base class. That's got to cause some head scratching.

But I'll reserve any judgment after the book's out.

Big Willy

burrowing to your heart..
Validated User
I agree on multi-classing. I've never liked multi-classing. The whole point of classes is to be an archetype character.

I like the theory of prestige classes, but the actual execution leaves a little to be desired.
I think that prestige classes were done well in the Vandal Hearts video games...when you get to tenth level, choose one, they are specializations...you don't weigh the options against staying the archeclass, you just pick your specialization. Very well done.

Rich H

Owl Be Back!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Out of interest, does anyone know anything juicy about the Force Unleashed book?

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
I think that prestige classes were done well in the Vandal Hearts video games...when you get to tenth level, choose one, they are specializations...you don't weigh the options against staying the archeclass, you just pick your specialization. Very well done.
I don't know, I always felt like the choice was between staying with the archetype (fighter, archer, mage, healer) and switching to a variant (tank, flyer, monk). A sniper is just a better archer, for example.

The Pugilist

Elder of the Trusted Hand
That said, I like the reduced number of base classes and the ability to specialize a bit using Prestige Classes, but I have my reservations that in Saga there are Prestige Classes for both Jedi Knight and Jedi Master in addition to the Jedi base class. That's got to cause some head scratching.

But I'll reserve any judgment after the book's out.
That caused me some bewilderment too, but I have a theory. From everything that has been said in the previews and the forums it looks like if you want to play a fairly generalist Jedi, you use the base class and its talent trees. The Jedi Knight class seems to be an amalgam of all the other "Jedi X" prestige classes, and is designed for specializing (see Knight, Ace, Weapon Master, Healer, etc). Jedi Master might do the same but for higher level classes (like Jedi Master, Trainer, etc). But even so, I have felt that some of the specialization did not require 2 separate classes, one for norms (Starfighter Ace) and one for Force Users(Jedi Ace).

Fresh Ninja

Banned
That caused me some bewilderment too, but I have a theory. From everything that has been said in the previews and the forums it looks like if you want to play a fairly generalist Jedi, you use the base class and its talent trees. The Jedi Knight class seems to be an amalgam of all the other "Jedi X" prestige classes, and is designed for specializing (see Knight, Ace, Weapon Master, Healer, etc). Jedi Master might do the same but for higher level classes (like Jedi Master, Trainer, etc). But even so, I have felt that some of the specialization did not require 2 separate classes, one for norms (Starfighter Ace) and one for Force Users(Jedi Ace).
I figure you get access to the alter, sense, control, dark side, and force tradition-specific talent trees with the Jedi class, but for stuff like the Jedi sentinel tree, you have to go into the Jedi knight prestige class. That way you get the differentiation of the various Jedi types without a whole lot of classes.

Elizabeth Brooks

I can kill with my brain
Unlike the brainless, stupid, moronic, dumbfuck, hopeless, pathetic, shitheaded, Siembieda-esque idea to split out a seperate D20 forum that has about as much chance of magically attracting EnWorld and Wizards people for Skotos as I have of bedding down with Avril Lavigne.
It's fine to dislike the D20/TRO split, but it's not fine to use it as a platform to launch personal attacks at the person who made the decision. Don't do it again.

This is a warning.

Also, thread moved to the D20 forum.

Ifshnit

Holder of Shadows
They need to stop looking at what they have already done, and what WEG has done in the past, and start fresh with SWsaga.
Agreed. While I would like them to update the starships and vehicles (which it appears that they are), I'd like to see them go in some different directions rather than just update stuff.

As for prestige classes and such, yeah, I also hope that they go light on those. What they had for Star Wars worked well (IMO, of course), but that's primarily because they fit the setting and there weren't many of them.

Top Bottom