• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Starblazer Adventures] Using it for Spelljammer?

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Here's a random idea that occurred to me, partly by way of remembrance of an old AP thread for Fudge/Spelljammer. It's a classic two great tastes (a revamped FATE 3.0 engine and a brilliant TSR setting of old), but do they taste great together?

I know there's a S&S FATE game in the works, but I think the space combat stuff is probably more relevant than the fantasy stuff here.

Would there be any issues doing the usual tweaking, changing Skills to appropriate ones, having a bit of a muddle with some magic (Stunts for Skill substitutes enough?) and so on here? I know SBA does advancement, which is even more fitting here.

I'd probably still do my usual with Spelljammer and ensure the main Helmsman isn't a PC, otherwise you have to start doing things to the classic way it's supposed to work, that helming drains all your magic.

Thoughts?

CaffeineBoy

Vaguely sinister...
Validated User
Methinks SBA is a brilliant choice. It's pulpy and '80s off-the-wall enough that it can support Spelljammer sensibilities and it provides a totally solid infrastructure. Giant space creatures -- supported. Spaceship combat -- supported. Individual powers (magic) -- supported with little effort. Like Halfjack says (and he is rumored to know a bit about FATE games), it's just a coat of paint away.

Rasmus Wagner

Banned
Like most of the brilliant 2.ed settings, Spelljammer isn't married to system mechanics. If anything, AD&D rules sucked even harder for Spelljammer than they did for most of the other brilliant TSR-era settings.

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
Methinks SBA is a brilliant choice. It's pulpy and '80s off-the-wall enough that it can support Spelljammer sensibilities and it provides a totally solid infrastructure. Giant space creatures -- supported. Spaceship combat -- supported. Individual powers (magic) -- supported with little effort. Like Halfjack says (and he is rumored to know a bit about FATE games), it's just a coat of paint away.
I'd go one step further. It comes with the paint. SBA and Spelljammer came from the same set of sensibilities. And the tables in the back tell you how to turn it into space fantasy.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
I'd go one step further. It comes with the paint. SBA and Spelljammer came from the same set of sensibilities. And the tables in the back tell you how to turn it into space fantasy.
Ah, having not seen the physical product for myself, I didn't know this.

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
Ah, having not seen the physical product for myself, I didn't know this.
From the lead author on another thread:

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=11045310&postcount=2

JoystickJunkies said:
I love the lensman books...Legends of Anglerre the fantasy version introduces really high powered play - so from supers to epic heroes and sorcerors - we'll be introducing this to the original Starblazer rpg through a new supplement
Legends of Anglerre is manifestly fantasy, and is even more detailed when it comes to magic and sorcery, but honestly designing planets that fit D&D 2e sensibilities and solar systems within Crystal Spheres is quite within the scope and spirit of the main monolithic book.

But the core book really has the ingredients... I guess it's more like, it supplies the paint, but Anglerre will give you a wider palette, with some of the colours pre-mixed.

But when it comes to designing spaceships of unusual varieties, and world with weird physical properties, and powers, and stuff, within the 630-some pages of the core there is a lot.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Validated User
You could have the spelljammer races simply be character Aspects. So Mindflayer aspect would be used whenever you have to negotiate with someone (and psionically cheat), suck out brains, or play the pipe organ- but will also come up at bad times- when you need to avoid sucking out brains, need to make an impression on people (who find illithids revolting), etc. Same goes for Giff- When you need to be large & in charge you could tag the aspect, and when being big or stubborn works against you, the aspect gets tagged by the GM.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
You could have the spelljammer races simply be character Aspects. So Mindflayer aspect would be used whenever you have to negotiate with someone (and psionically cheat), suck out brains, or play the pipe organ- but will also come up at bad times- when you need to avoid sucking out brains, need to make an impression on people (who find illithids revolting), etc. Same goes for Giff- When you need to be large & in charge you could tag the aspect, and when being big or stubborn works against you, the aspect gets tagged by the GM.
That's one of my staples with any FATE conversion, if you're non-human then you need at least one Aspect devoted to your non-human-ness.

Shan Andy

One man and his giraffe
Validated User
As far as spells go, just lift the Spelljammer ones and make them stunts. Decide whether they're powerful enough for you to need a Fate Point to power them (to stop them being used all the time) and you're away. Might also help to keep the number of spells people have down to a sensible level.

Top Bottom