• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Stars Without Number Second Edition

JRoss

Validated User
SWN 2E is out. I snagged the free version. Does the premium version (here) have a lot more in it than the free version? I skimmed the playtest files but nothing serious until now.

CardinalXimenes

Validated User
Those who snaffle the premium version get another 80 pages or so, with:

• Transhuman tech, with rules for bodyswapping, digital identities, post-scarcity economics, and just as importantly, GM guidelines on making exciting adventures when all the old pillars of familiarity have fallen away.
  • True AIs, the vast and terrible intellects that can bring forth wonders and ruin in equal measure. Playing a synthetic VI or aspiring organic godmind? Learn how your PC can accumulate the tech they need to ascend to this new plane of being.
  • Mechs, for those GMs who relish the thunder of steel titans on their far-future battlefields.
  • Heroic PCs, for groups that want to trade the gritty, lethal tone of a standard campaign for classic space opera, with larger-than-life heroes and superhuman skills.
  • Society creation, customizing a world or a hab with its own culture and history, pre-designed with fault lines and conflicts to engage your heroes. You'll get more than a dry recounting of details; you'll get the information you need to build adventures that fit with this world's smouldering tensions.
  • Space Magic, with rules and guidelines for introducing sorcerous powers and old-school magic into your starfaring adventurers, with sagacious Magisters, versatile Arcanists, and Adepts graced with supernatural powers.

LibraryLass

Feminazgûl
Banned
Validated User

• Transhuman tech, with rules for bodyswapping, digital identities, post-scarcity economics, and just as importantly, GM guidelines on making exciting adventures when all the old pillars of familiarity have fallen away.
  • True AIs, the vast and terrible intellects that can bring forth wonders and ruin in equal measure. Playing a synthetic VI or aspiring organic godmind? Learn how your PC can accumulate the tech they need to ascend to this new plane of being.
  • Mechs, for those GMs who relish the thunder of steel titans on their far-future battlefields.
  • Heroic PCs, for groups that want to trade the gritty, lethal tone of a standard campaign for classic space opera, with larger-than-life heroes and superhuman skills.
  • Society creation, customizing a world or a hab with its own culture and history, pre-designed with fault lines and conflicts to engage your heroes. You'll get more than a dry recounting of details; you'll get the information you need to build adventures that fit with this world's smouldering tensions.
  • Space Magic, with rules and guidelines for introducing sorcerous powers and old-school magic into your starfaring adventurers, with sagacious Magisters, versatile Arcanists, and Adepts graced with supernatural powers.
Okay, some of those definitely excite me. (And none turn me off.)

Delgarde

Validated User

I've been too busy to closely look at the Kickstarter drafts you've provided, but are these things essentially the same mechanics and flavour as the first edition? Or have you taken the opportunity to revisit some of them with the perspective of a few more years?

Ether

Validated User
Do the Heroic PCs rules in the full version include viable options for unarmored adventurers, for those who may not want to have to run around in body armor?

One of my favorite things about Godbound and Spears of the Dawn was that, with a little investment, characters (even mortals in Godbound) weren't necessarily forced to gear up in order to be credible combatants.

CardinalXimenes

Validated User
I've been too busy to closely look at the Kickstarter drafts you've provided, but are these things essentially the same mechanics and flavour as the first edition? Or have you taken the opportunity to revisit some of them with the perspective of a few more years?
Both are more developed- transhumans have more shell options and more support for purely digital intelligences, and True AIs now have their own framework for getting "AI-like" powers of hyper-cogitation to fit the usual fiction about them.

Do the Heroic PCs rules in the full version include viable options for unarmored adventurers, for those who may not want to have to run around in body armor?
Both normal and Heroic PCs can take the Ironhide focus, which gives them a natural AC that scales with their level to be about as good as anything they're likely to be able to afford at that level. There's also an explicit "street armor" category for body armor that looks like normal clothing and is viable to wear in casual social situations.

One of my favorite things about Godbound and Spears of the Dawn was that, with a little investment, characters (even mortals in Godbound) weren't necessarily forced to gear up in order to be credible combatants.
With the Unarmed Combatant focus and the Ironhide focus, both of which can be taken at 1st level by a Warrior or Partial-warrior Adventurer, and the new Shock rules for melee combat, you can make a perfectly viable no-gear combatant that scales automatically as they level. Or you could go with a Psychic or Partial-psychic Adventurer and take Telekinesis and Telekinetic Armory, so you can manifest TK armor and weapons at will. Or you could cherry-pick that psychic technique with the Wild Talent focus and be some other class. There are several different ways to go about it, all of which end up with you being able to fight just fine in your skivvies.

muadib

Validated User
Fantasy Plus Space Opera option? Sign me up!

I've been trying to find a less crunchy system to run a game set in Eric Nylund's "Game of Universe" novel setting. This sounds like it just checked all the boxes! Nice Work Mr. Crawford! Kudos!

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
Just downloaded the files. Looking forward to reading it. And once again grateful for the kindle version, which means I can read this in bed!

Top Bottom