Stars Without Number Second Edition

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
Any pre-3.x D&D, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry (any edition), DCC, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and any other OSR game with conventional Vancian spell lists.
The Lamentations of the Flame Princess spell list is not exactly a conventional Vancian spell list, it lacks the bulk of the good combat spells, but has totally brutal 1st level summoning and limited wish spells, also there is Vaginas Are Magic...

Verenes Aoene

Transhumanist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Lamentations of the Flame Princess spell list is not exactly a conventional Vancian spell list, it lacks the bulk of the good combat spells, but has totally brutal 1st level summoning and limited wish spells, also there is Vaginas Are Magic...
I... need context for this. Please.

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
If you allowed alien or VI characters to use the transhuman rules, what would you all do with their 'species foci' when they swap over?

CardinalXimenes

Validated User
If you allowed alien or VI characters to use the transhuman rules, what would you all do with their 'species foci' when they swap over?
If they're psychological or mental qualities, they transfer, and if they're purely physical, they don't. If you're playing a transhuman campaign, there's no credit or debit for being an octopus, human, or Vulcan.

deadboydex

i gotta believe!
Validated User

deadboydex

i gotta believe!
Validated User
Chthonic Codex also looks cool? there seems to be no shortage of OSR alternate magic systems. the Force systems from d20 Star Wars or SAGA edition could also be adapted, maybe? SAGA especially -- a single "Use the Force" roll seems appropriate for SWN.

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
Any pre-3.x D&D, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry (any edition), DCC, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and any other OSR game with conventional Vancian spell lists.

Standard OSR-type magic isn't going to screw up the game if you just hand Arcanists the game's equivalent of the Magic-User spell lists and give Magisters the game's Cleric spell list. If you want more flavor, though, you can selectively theme the Magisters and give them 8-10 spells per level handpicked from any list that fits their theme. The traditional concern with spellcasters is that their individual spells can be much more powerful and useful than non-magical actions- Fireball, Invisibility, and Charm Person are all very strong compared to a sword, a sneaky guy, and a smooth talker.

This isn't so much of a problem in OSR games for three main reasons: one, because spells are usually much easier for higher-level OSR targets to resist than higher-level targets of later editions, two, the spellcasters have far fewer available spell slots than 3.x+ edition casters, and so can do fewer things, and three, because OSR casters are very easily interrupted in their combat spellcasting and must be protected if they're ever going to get a spell off. Make very sure you read the rules for casting spells on page 267- the caster must pick their spell at the very start of the round and can't decide halfway through that a different spell would be more useful. Also, if they take any damage at all before their turn comes up, the spell is spoiled.
Thank you. I guess I am buying game book. :)

Top Bottom