Stars Without Number Second Edition

Connallmac

Crown Prince of Next to Nothing
Validated User
The tracking site for the USPS had been telling me all week that my copy would arrive Tuesday, the 16th. Then this morning it updated to today, and it was delivered a couple of hours later. What a great way to start a long weekend!

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
I think I am going the "magic is granted by hyperadvanced god-like AI" route. Now I have to decide whether I'm using the Magister or Arcanist for that

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
Out here in the far lands of Arizona it seems that the postal transport has been delayed. Again.

I've noticed that where I live now compared to where I lived before in Oregon any orders from drive thru take an average of 3 days longer.

Its weird.

Jaydee

Off on an adventure
Validated User
Got mine today, and while I have had the pdf for a while now the book is stunning.
Mine arrived yesterday and it is indeed stunning. More so than I was expecting from the pdf but I can’t put my finger on why.

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
I was a huge fan of the first edition of SWN and played the unholy nuclear snot out of it for many delightful years. Looking over the (free) revised edition I have three thoughts:

1. I friggin' love this artwork!

2. The game mechanics look interesting, but just aren't for me; they aren't so much "too complicated" so much as just "too different from regular OSR for me to have the patience to figure them out these days." Not that this is really an issue or would stop me from buying the full version- my favorite part of the original SWN was all those wonderful random generators that really can be used with just about any system I already know anyway, and it looks like the revised edition has even expanded those? Made of win!

3. Wha... Wha... Where's Hydra Sector!?!?! :eek: :confused: It was one of my Top Five favorite sci-fi settings ever published in an RPG! :( I loved the Aztec names and influence, which to me gave it a very unique and memorable feel.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Chthonic Codex also looks cool? there seems to be no shortage of OSR alternate magic systems. the Force systems from d20 Star Wars or SAGA edition could also be adapted, maybe? SAGA especially -- a single "Use the Force" roll seems appropriate for SWN.
White Star is fairly inexpensive and uses Vancian magic for its "Star Knights."

CardinalXimenes

Validated User
2. The game mechanics look interesting, but just aren't for me; they aren't so much "too complicated" so much as just "too different from regular OSR for me to have the patience to figure them out these days." Not that this is really an issue or would stop me from buying the full version- my favorite part of the original SWN was all those wonderful random generators that really can be used with just about any system I already know anyway, and it looks like the revised edition has even expanded those? Made of win!
It's a not-unexpected reaction from a number of fans, no doubt, which is one reason why I was so focused on expanding the GM tools. They're all system-neutral, and an extra 40 world tags, beefed-up adventure creation tools, and an entirely different society creator than the one in the original deluxe edition were all put in there to appeal to readers who didn't intend to use my system.

3. Wha... Wha... Where's Hydra Sector!?!?! :eek: :confused: It was one of my Top Five favorite sci-fi settings ever published in an RPG! :( I loved the Aztec names and influence, which to me gave it a very unique and memorable feel.
Alas, something had to give to fit in all the new content. Even stripping it out, the new deluxe version is 70 pages longer than the old deluxe version, and it's pushing the limit of how big I can make the book and still price it at a plausible level. Anything that was in the free original version, one that people can still download easily, got heavily de-prioritized for space.

deadboydex

i gotta believe!
Validated User
apparently VAM is based on Wonder & Wickedness, another, more extensive levelless magic system, if you're turned off by the title or want more material in the same vein. i liked VAM but i'm intrigued by W&W and am going to have to take a look and see if it's suitable for SWN.
so having looked over W&W it is OFF. THE. CHAIN. you could use it but your campaign would instantly take on a very psychedelic/psychotronic flavor which personally as a fan of Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal-style SF i'm not entirely against? SWN isn't gonzo by default but there's plenty of room to go gonzo, the game is very generous that way.

Top Bottom