Stars Without Number Second Edition

avram

Validated User
Space Age Sorcery (currently free!) is a D&D-style spell supplement designed for sci-fi games. There's one spell that turns a ship's FTL drive into an artificial black-hole based wormhole. (At the cost of destroying the drive, of course. Pretty handy for escaping from an enemy ship.)

Last edited:

Verenes Aoene

Transhumanist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Having pulled up the Premium on my laptop, I looked over the Transhuman and True AI rules. Sad to see Tolerence go, that was an interesting difference between organics and synthetics. Also the transhuman tech had really magicy names for some reason, but that’s mainly a stylistic difference, one I can overwrite with Eclipse Phase terms.

All in all, I like the new edition. I might even be up for a PbP if someone wants to run it. Thinking a Psychic or a True AI, maybe an Adventurer of those if this hypothetical GM lets me.

CardinalXimenes

Validated User
Why did you remove Tolerance from AIs?
It was a balance mechanism to prevent AI players from just sinking all their points in mental stats and skills and then buying a warbot to roll around in. Revised no longer uses point-buy for AIs, so there's no need for that balancing mechanism any more, and keeping it would've added further rules overhead to figuring out what robot bodies you could wear.

celebrityomnipath

Murmaid Murderer
Validated User
In preparation for an upcoming game, I've been working on some material for SWN 2e. Eventually it'll probably include some more Foci, an Adept class, and some more space magic stuff on the player facing side, but first I wanted to tackle player character cyborgs.
The setting I’m working on now is designed to have cybernetic augmentation be fairly common, and full-conversion cyborgs present across most of sector space. I want these characters to be available for PCs from the getgo.
I have just read the relevant section, and the VI rules on page 199 basically do this:

"In exceptional cases, a human PC transformed into a full-conversion cyborg might be allowed to take it later"

"Some VIs were instantiated in actual vehicles rather than conventional humanoid bodies. Most were purely synthetic in origins, but some sectors retain the techniques for brain transplants into non-human bodies."

So it's basically a single Foci pic.

As written you can't use cybernetics though, but you can just install regular equipment at double the cost, which is still one millionth of the cost of cybernetics (you do need a skill roll to add it and recovery time though).

LOTFP as a line has something of a fascination with puerile shock value, especially when it comes to titles.
Well it's penis magic this year, in the interests of equality.

Verenes Aoene

Transhumanist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It was a balance mechanism to prevent AI players from just sinking all their points in mental stats and skills and then buying a warbot to roll around in. Revised no longer uses point-buy for AIs, so there's no need for that balancing mechanism any more, and keeping it would've added further rules overhead to figuring out what robot bodies you could wear.
Well... Yes, they aren't point buy any more, but that was what I was trying to ask.

CardinalXimenes

Validated User
Well... Yes, they aren't point buy any more, but that was what I was trying to ask.
Systemic overhead and setting-specific lock-in. The only reason to include a completely different character generation system for a particular concept is if the generation system actually brings enough to the table to justify a reader's additional effort in comprehending the system. The 1e AI character generation system didn't do that- it didn't do anything the Revised character creation system couldn't already do, and added a mechanic, Tolerance, that particularized the way SWN AIs work in a way that wasn't helpful to GMs who weren't big on those particularities. If you want a specific style of AIs for your campaign, such as if you're trying to set it in a different campaign setting, it's much easier to do that if you don't have the Tolerance mechanism and the point-buy concerns it's necessary to address.

heilel

Validated User
Here's a YouTube review I did of Stars without number revised edition, with a comparison to the original edition.
[video=youtube;c00_w2_NxqQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=c00_w2_NxqQ[/video]

It looks really nice and I'm looking forward to running it.

Top Bottom