• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

StarSector: New version incoming

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
...huh.

I'm definitely in the "cautiously optimistic but wait and see" camp here. There's definitely something to be said for helping newbies settle in by not drowning them in choices from the beginning. I'd certainly prefer a soft rather than hard skill cap, but if that's not how it's implemented, I trust there will be mods for it.

As for the story points... I was worried about the temporary vs. permanent skill point sink aspect, but his solution to that caught me off guard. I'm thinking... Maybe? I'm certainly not ruling out the idea out of hand.

Edited to add: I don't always necessarily agree with Alex's design decisions, but he doesn't make them hastily and has clearly put a great deal of thought into these changes.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I'm definitely in the "cautiously optimistic but wait and see" camp here. There's definitely something to be said for helping newbies settle in by not drowning them in choices from the beginning. I'd certainly prefer a soft rather than hard skill cap, but if that's not how it's implemented, I trust there will be mods for it.
It's always been a hard skill cap and the blog post is specifically talking about that continuing to be the case. Getting rid of that would be quite a shocking twist.
Edited to add: I don't always necessarily agree with Alex's design decisions, but he doesn't make them hastily and has clearly put a great deal of thought into these changes.
Yeah, the problem for me is I definitely don't fully agree with his design goals. So pursuing them with the best of consideration and execution may still be very much a move in the wrong direction from my point of view. Lot of interesting ideas with potential in here though.

Top Bottom