• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Starship Troopers: Interpretation and Analysis

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I’m very interested in following the differing opinions on the book and films since it’s generated so much discussion and so probably deserves its own thread.

Since this tends to generate strong opinions, please be nice.

petros

Validated User
Why didn't the Bugs strike first against the Mobile Infantry, when they landed on Klendathu? Why put that little wrinkle in the film?

Dave999

Validated User
Why didn't the Bugs strike first against the Mobile Infantry, when they landed on Klendathu? Why put that little wrinkle in the film?
The Bugs massacred the Mobile Infantry and their fleet so they seemed to have done pretty well.

petros

Validated User
The Bugs massacred the Mobile Infantry and their fleet so they seemed to have done pretty well.
After the landings were complete. The Bugs didn't react to the aggressive blockade and invasion of their homeworld until the MI actually started shooting on the ground.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
How did the bugs get that asteroid to attack Earth in the first place? We see on the map they're on the other side of the galaxy, that Asteroid was not travelling faster than light. No FTL capability is ever shown for the Bugs in the film... How didn't Earth see it coming? We see in the propaganda piece at the start that they can blow up Asteroid's with the Moon's orbital ring... a ring that is shown to already be present before the first asteroid arrived.

My theory is... the bugs had nothing to do with it, they didn't start the war, the Federation did, as they wanted an excuse to go wipe them out because they were interfering with colonising efforts.

Regardless of feelings on the book, Verhoeven was trying to criticise facism in the film. What did the Nazi's do when they wanted to invade Poland? They faked an attack

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel that the asteroid, as presented in the film, supports that theory. In the book, the bugs are an obviously intelligent technological species capable of doing it. The movie...ehhh?

petros

Validated User
My theory is... the bugs had nothing to do with it, they didn't start the war, the Federation did, as they wanted an excuse to go wipe them out because they were interfering with colonising efforts.
That seems to be the underlying truth, if we take the film as a (slightly punk) propaganda piece from inside the ST universe.

But why put the Bugs passive response to the invasion on screen? Is it something that is so famous about the invasion that they couldn't leave it out, so they glossed over it?

It's the part of the film that keeps me thinking. Tens of thousands of humans saw that when they landed on Klendathu, the Bugs didn't fight back, and the propaganda machine doesn't mention it. People don't talk about it.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
That seems to be the underlying truth, if we take the film as a (slightly punk) propaganda piece from inside the ST universe.

But why put the Bugs passive response to the invasion on screen? Is it something that is so famous about the invasion that they couldn't leave it out, so they glossed over it?

It's the part of the film that keeps me thinking. Tens of thousands of humans saw that when they landed on Klendathu, the Bugs didn't fight back, and the propaganda machine doesn't mention it. People don't talk about it.
Most of the movie isn't the propaganda piece, the bulk of it really happened. And why does the propaganda machine not mention it? Because it doesn't need too. Absolutely no one questioned why the bugs didn't attack immediately. Why would they? The bugs are The Enemy and they're well indoctrinated to see them like that. They don't question. They don't care.

This is how extremism always works. The fantastically mass murdering true believers are always the minority. The majority of supports of a fascist regime, are the people who just quietly and passively accept the things they are told.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
Of course, there's no need to fake an attack in the Starship Troopers setting, because the entire point of the setting is that no one except veterans can vote. It's already essentially a military dictatorship, so such extreme measures to swerve public opinion are completely unnecessary. If the military wants a campaign, it can get it. At least, it can get it cheaper than the cost of a city.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Because:
(1) they're mindless animals that react more like disturbed ants than a coherent military force, so we know we are smarter and better than them and certainly shouldn't hesitate to kill them en masse
(2) we can beat them, no matter what their numbers, by killing the "Brain Bugs", because they're just animals without them

Top Bottom