• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Steam Daily Deals 6: Where "daily" means "whenever we can be arsed to check".

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd like to re-iterate this question from the previous thread:

CLAVDIVS said:
So a bunch of Greenlight games are on sale for the next few days. Ones I'm curious about include:

Legends of Dawn (Sounds like a sandbody, classless RPG, which is cool, but is it a GOOD one?)
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters (Screenshots look neat, but the Metacritic score worries me.)
Miasmata ("Sir, you are being stalked by an implacable apex-predator"?)
Eador: Masters of the Broken World (I saw the words "turn-based" and "tactics", and hexes in the screenshots.)
Kinetic Void (I like the idea of a space sandboxc, but I've been dissapointed before.)

Any opinions/knowledge of these?

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Miasmata is pretty good. The finest feverish-stumble-through-the-woods simulator I've played (not that it's any sort of hard survival sim). It's an exploration-oriented game, only really good for one playthrough. The creature is a bit disappointing, though. It serves to put tension on things, but you'll get to see the seams in its programming more than a little.

I've heard Masters of the Broken World is basically a remake of Eador: Genesis with flashier graphics. Genesis is an okay game. I want to play more of it than I have but it hasn't made it up the priority list.

Kinetic Void is probably not a game yet. Last time I tried it (a month ago maybe?) in addition to clunkiness and total lack of direction, activating the hyperdrive (whatever they called it) physically destablized your ship so that the parts jiggled around in a 'something's not right with the physics engine' way, followed by the whole thing ceasing to work. Alpha at best.

CaliberX

Validated User
Along the same line of Steam Greenlight specials, anyone have opinions on:

Anodyne
No Time to Explain
Increadipede

Of course the two games I'm REALLY interested in (Rogue Legacy and Hammerwatch) are barely on sale. Guess I'll wait on those for a steeper discount. But what about the three above?

Edit: Re: Eador: MotBW, the game seems to be almost identical to Eador: Genesis but with updated graphics (I've heard the single-player campaign is also a bit shorter and more focused, but I can't speak to that). In my experience, the graphics of Eador: Genesis were perfectly adequate but the campaign was a bit too long so this might be a change for the good. That said, I find MotBW makes my computer chug so I'm guessing the graphics aren't quite optimized yet. Game play is a tactical field against enemies, with you usually having a hero supported by other units. Conquer provinces, level up, move to the next world, rinse repeat.

Last edited:

BrianDR

Validated User
I don't know if Eador is any good, but if you're looking to pick it up you can get it for $5 here (instead of $10 on the Steam sale). It activates on Steam regardless.

bv728

Was he a violent man?
Validated User
Anodyne is a surreal and creepy zelda-like - I enjoyed it, but it's not the most complicated game, and it lives more on atmosphere than actual plot.

No Time to Explain is actually a lot of fun - lots of shorter, focused gimmick levels with simple twists on mechanics that iterate across multiple levels. The plot is basically there to be silly, and it doesn't have a lot of longevity, but it also doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Akaneiro is a not so great diablolike with solid visual style, but it's more derived from diablo 1, not 2.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm kind of interested in a Dwarf Fortress like simulator, if there are any opinions on Towns or Gnomoria (or other games of the same type).

Re: Earlier questions, Eador is a game I quite enjoy. It's similar to the Heroes of Might and Magic series in gameplay, with a bit more room for strategically building your empire like a 4x. It's "gimmick" seems to be that you're slowly building your world by conquering shards, so each map starts with you on a single territory with a level 1 hero but gradually accumulating bonuses from shards you conquer. So a little repetitive, but a lot of fun if you're a fan of that genre.

Miasmata is a game that relies more on atmosphere than gameplay; the momentum based movement and lush island terrain make it extremely immersive. The idea of hunting through the world for plants to make medicines is quite cool, but fairly simple. The main gameplay is probably the use of triangulation to build a map of the island, which is fun but requires a surprising amount of thought and planning. The creature is fairly simplistic from a gameplay point of view, and doesn't show up that often; I'd go so far as to say fear of the creature is a bigger gameplay element than the creature itself; it's there to keep the tension up and make you keep looking over your shoulder rather than to actually kill you. That said, I had a lot of fun with this game and that damn glowing fungus you can only find by wandering around at night practically left me a shattered shell of a man.

Top Bottom