• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Steam Daily Deals 6: Where "daily" means "whenever we can be arsed to check".

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
What's the verdict on For the King?
I like it a fair bit. It does suffer from the classic roguelike possibility of RNGesus screwing your play, but otherwise it's quite charming and fun. I love the aesthetic style, too. And you do have access to some fate points that allow you to automatically pass or increase your chances in individual rolls, though the points are in short supply and hard to replenish. On the other hand, you also have access to a finite but replenishable number of resurrects of members in your three-character group, so the entropy isn't all-powerful.

I'd certainly recommend picking it up if it sounds like something up your alley and it's on sale. At full price, a bit riskier. The main question is, how averse are you to old school roguelike issues?

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
I like it a fair bit. It does suffer from the classic roguelike possibility of RNGesus screwing your play, but otherwise it's quite charming and fun. I love the aesthetic style, too. And you do have access to some fate points that allow you to automatically pass or increase your chances in individual rolls, though the points are in short supply and hard to replenish. On the other hand, you also have access to a finite but replenishable number of resurrects of members in your three-character group, so the entropy isn't all-powerful.

I'd certainly recommend picking it up if it sounds like something up your alley and it's on sale. At full price, a bit riskier. The main question is, how averse are you to old school roguelike issues?
Thanks! I gave it the Steam trial and enjoyed it well enough, but ended up returning it. I think I'd keep it for $5, but for right now I have to be selective about where I spend my $10, and I'm likely to play with my limited time other games that I already have more than For the King.

Appreciate the response.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Thanks! I gave it the Steam trial and enjoyed it well enough, but ended up returning it. I think I'd keep it for $5, but for right now I have to be selective about where I spend my $10, and I'm likely to play with my limited time other games that I already have more than For the King.

Appreciate the response.
You're quite welcome. :)

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bundle time:

Humble Double Fine Presents Bundle:
Pay what you want!
Mountain
THOTH

Pay more than the average of $6.22 to also unlock!
GNOG
Escape Goat 2

Pay $10 or more to also unlock!
Gang Beasts
Everything
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/double-fine-presents

Deception Bundle: $3
The Long Reach
Mainlining
E.T. Armies
Coffin Dodgers
The Rivers of Alice - Extended Version