Stellaris Thread II

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
Turtling up against an end game crisis usually doesn't work. It's a great way to fill up your planets if you accept refugees, but even Awakened Empires can't beat a crisis without your help. Though they can do a LOT to contain it if it spawns near them.But Fallen Empires and most regular NPC states will just get eaten alive facing them. And they all get stronger the more they spread.
I have had awakened empires and federations reach enough strength to fight the crises on their own, or at least contain it. It was on higher difficulties though, so AIs with less resource bonuses might not manage.
However the AI is bad at going for the kill and rarely manage to finish them off.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you're not playing a conqueror, you need to focus research hard, and unity hard. Or take the Technocracy civic to cheat and focus hard on both at the same time.
Tradition tree is maxed out. All 8 Ascension perks are chosen. Nothing to do with Unity now but Ambitions.

Research tree is maxed out. I've researched everything but the dangerous techs. Just working on repeatable techs now.

Every other empire in the game aside from the Fallen Empires and my BFF (who has had a research agreement with me for almost two centuries, and is therefore not TOO far behind me technologically) is pitifully weak. Don't think they're gonna offer up much resistance.

Looks like it's down to me!

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Crises have two kinds of fleets: Offense and defense fleets. Defense fleets just stay guarding the homebases. Offense fleets will attack what they can. If the surrounding AI fleets are powerful enough to defeat the crisis offense fleets (and near enough to do so) crises can putter out hard.
...huh. I think that finally explains my first encounter with an Endgame Crisis. The Scourge devoured almost my entire core, and a Fallen Empire showed up to fight, and eventually the Scourge just stopped expanding, even though I was hiding out on Paradiya, right next to my home systems. Eventually built a Gateway to let them backdoor the whole thing. They must've been reduced to their defense fleets.

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
...huh. I think that finally explains my first encounter with an Endgame Crisis. The Scourge devoured almost my entire core, and a Fallen Empire showed up to fight, and eventually the Scourge just stopped expanding, even though I was hiding out on Paradiya, right next to my home systems. Eventually built a Gateway to let them backdoor the whole thing. They must've been reduced to their defense fleets.
It's one reasona I love building the sentry array: You can see what's going on.
Once a crisis loses it's offensive fleets, I will get new ones. But crises send them out as they get them. So what probably happened was that they lost all their attack fleets and every new one got destroyed as it left their space.

Donan

Validated User
Any advice for a war? I have more resources and territory then my enemy, but I struggle to pin them down

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
Are you struggling with finding them or with catching them?

For the former sensor techs, listening posts and especially the crystalline sensors edict help a lot.

For the latter you can click on enemy fleets and see where they're going and often cut them off.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
Also if you can't pin them down, that means there is no one between you and their shipyards.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is there a cap on the number of times you can repeat the tech to increase your Naval Capacity by +20? Because I haven't gotten that tech to pop up in a long, long time.

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
Turtling up against an end game crisis usually doesn't work. It's a great way to fill up your planets if you accept refugees, but even Awakened Empires can't beat a crisis without your help. Though they can do a LOT to contain it if it spawns near them.But Fallen Empires and most regular NPC states will just get eaten alive facing them. And they all get stronger the more they spread.
I have had awakened empires and federations reach enough strength to fight the crises on their own, or at least contain it. It was on higher difficulties though, so AIs with less resource bonuses might not manage.
However the AI is bad at going for the kill and rarely manage to finish them off.
In my current game, another member of my federation just finished off the Unbidden for me. I think I started it - I had just retreated after a hit and run attack on the portal. (I was just trying to shrink their fleet a little, and get myself back under naval capacity.) As soon as my fleet was repaired, my federated friends swooped past me and attacked, and by the time I and the rest of the federation got back to the system, it was over.

I'll take it! Once I finish rebuilding the worlds the Unbidden destroyed (because naturally they spawned in my territory. They always do) I'll declare victory and end the game.

Top Bottom