• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Stellaris Thread II

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sigh. I keep stopping playing the game to find or write a mod to improve some subsection of it.

It turns out to be pretty hard to get ships to stay at range. The 'stay at range' command for the AI doesn't seem to do that. You can get the AI to alternatively charge and flee to maintain a range, but larger ships don't turn that fast, so don't do it that well. Thankfully, there's an 'orbit' command that does the job.

Also, the ship AI only maneuvers in relation to it's target, so you can't tell it to stay at range from all ships.

Have come up with some better ways to implement a 0 pop royal family second species civic, as long as you have it from the start of the game, and only one empire has that civic. You can do a zero pop main species thing, but that breaks non-biological ascension; that's why I was working on a zero pop second species.
Staying at range would make missile-heavy builds more viable, I would think.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Staying at range would make missile-heavy builds more viable, I would think.
Kind of? The closer you are when you are firing your missiles, the less chance PD has to shoot them down. If you want to use torpedoes, they better be on swarm corvettes.

crusher bob

Validated User
If you are firing your missiles from inside PD range, then I guess there is a slight reduction in the ability of PD to shoot them down. But you are also exposed to return fire from all the other sides short range weapons.

Am finally getting around to doing up the AI files, but not sure how the AI picks it's combat computers, so the modified AI files will have to be a player only thing.

ASBM pretty much sets all AI computers to try to get into as short a range as possible, so I'll stick with that for the time being.

Am getting around the ship AI/no AI problem right now by giving every AI player an AI specific tech. Then changing all the default combat computers to being unlock by this tech and whatever they were unlocked by before. Then making a new set of AI-less computers that are just unlocked by the standard computer tech.

This keeps the players ship building screen from being cluttered up by the AI computers. The player should just see the AI-less battle computers, and then they select the behaviour they want from another ship module.

Not sure this is best practice. If some ships weren't just spawned into being, the AI could use the AI-less computers as well, and simply have a high priority for the swarm behaviour. But most monsters and stuff have their designs pre-defined. I'll probably get aroundto looking at them, and seeing if I could just add behaviour modules to their designs, which should remove the need for separate player only battle computers.

------------------------------------

I don't suppose anyone knows a clever way of holding onto a pointer to a species with scope_country, so that multiple civs with the 'royal family' civic could work in the same galaxy at the same time?

Right now, I'm using a global variable to refer to the royal species, so there can only be one in the whole galaxy. I can see why the hive overmind civic just goes with a zero pop main species as the 'royal' one. But that breaks ascensions and doesn't work with stuff that modifies the main species directly.

It's possible to just set things up so the royal family spawns with one or two pops, and things become much easier. But xenophile empires won't let the royal family have population control, so they quickly balloon in size. Is it possible to force population control on a species when you make them? That might solve the problem...

crusher bob

Validated User
Ung. ran into something kinda buggish with the modify_species command that prevents a certain implementation of the secondary royal family mod. Can fix things with global variables, but that's even more inelegant than normal, May end up just making the royal family have some pops after all.

AI mod seems to be working, though I'm not sure if anything like balanced results can come out of it.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Ung. ran into something kinda buggish with the modify_species command that prevents a certain implementation of the secondary royal family mod. Can fix things with global variables, but that's even more inelegant than normal, May end up just making the royal family have some pops after all.

AI mod seems to be working, though I'm not sure if anything like balanced results can come out of it.
With the understanding that all I know about modding is what I can infer from general coding knowledge, is there anything preventing you from simply hard-coding royal family pops from having a zero (or practically zero) growth rate and/or preventing them from showing up in the lottery that picks which pop reproduces next?

crusher bob

Validated User
With the understanding that all I know about modding is what I can infer from general coding knowledge, is there anything preventing you from simply hard-coding royal family pops from having a zero (or practically zero) growth rate and/or preventing them from showing up in the lottery that picks which pop reproduces next?
Think I have found a way around the problem.

But the problem with stopping the royal family from growing is that some governments/civics don't allow population control, so you can't just prevent the royal pop from growing. Looks like there might be a way to hard code around this, but I'm pretty deep into writing for a zero pop royal family to change everything now.

The pop grower seems to favor picking species with small pops, so it will spawn a lot of growth for the royal species if there is just one or two pops of them. So just doing 'very low growth' probably wouldn't help. Though about seeing if I could make them like robots, but not sure how to have biological traits on robot pops. But both zero pop and low pop with forced population control seem to be options. So robot royals doesn't need to be done.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In my console game, my Xenophobes didn't like the growing population of other aliens in their empire, so I started getting notices about "Populist Leaders" on worlds, and factions supporting "traditional social values".

Totally unrealistic, of course.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In my recent game, I accepted some friendly brain slugs to help out my empire. And then suddenly all my Xenophobes are angry and all my planets have -40 stability from brain slug fear, tanking my economy. It's going to last for something like 20 years, too.

I may have just lost this game.

On the one hand, you could maybe predict that this would happen if you're playing Xenophobes. On the other hand, I couldn't necessarily, because it's never clear how these systems might interact. It would have been nice to have some warning.

crusher bob

Validated User
Unfortunately, ethics attraction doesn't seem to work in the base game. There's a mod that fixes it, but if you are playing on console, I think the only real way to get rid of factions you don't like is to transfer all their pops to one planet and arrange for bad things to happen there.

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
The issue with ethics attraction is that the values for changes are so low, that it takes the average pop a century to switch.

Top Bottom