Steve Jackson has The Fantasy Trip again! [Kickstarted successfully!]

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User
Reported on sjgames.com, after about four decades Steve Jackson has gotten back the rights for the parts that he wrote for The Fantasy Trip! This is very early on but it looks like he is going to publish it again. I have Meele and Wizard around here somewhere and it would be great to have a full set for fighting and adventuring!

tomas

Validated User
Re: Steve Jackson has The Fantasy Trip again!

I'm just sitting here stunned to hear this bit of good news. TFT is probably the single greatest forgotten gem from the early days of the industry. This is simply wonderful to hear.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User

I am very pleased. Very pleased indeed. Melee and Wizard were the bridge for me between wargaming and RPGs, and I have much fondness for them.

SibKhatru

Validated User

Very cool news. I've even begun a GURPS prep for 2018...

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User

This indeed wonderful news!

I look forward to the day when I can buy a fresh copy again. :)

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User

I will buy it out of reflex.

Then I will put it on a shelf and smile at it... as it gathers dust.

While I loved playing TFT (and playing Melee and Wizard) and I have a soft spot for my first chronicle (run in TFT), what does this bring to the table any more? There are lots of holes in the game (most occur after you get a good number of attributes through experience, making for rolls nearly impossible to fail, super strength, and so on). GURPs closes most of those holes, but went too detailed and mechanical for my taste.

Will it be a revised version or the classic set?

E.T.Smith

A Most Sincere Poseur
Validated User

About damn time. Wonder what Steve Jackson will do with this, long-coming as it was. Just re-release the original texts, or go for a new revised edition? Or revive the Fantasy Trip line entirely? Its a bit of an awkward opportunity, since GURPS is largely "revised TFT" already; I don't see where TFT would fit into the modern SJG line-up except as a legacy product.

Last edited:

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Over on the SJGames forums, Steve Jackson sez:

Replying to queries from here and in the mail - I'll probably turn this post into an Illuminator at some point, to illuminate the non-forumites.

• Can you give us details on the TFT release schedule or the format of the new releases? No, because I don't know myself. We’ll probably do at least one Kickstarter – for Melee – in 2018. With miniatures! Lots of miniatures!

• What changes will you make in the new TFT releases? I want a fully modern presentation, but most of the rules are pretty good as they are. I might revisit the cost of spells, and I might make some changes in the character advancement rules. But I might just leave things alone.

• How did you get these rights back? Great patience . . . 17 US Code 203 requires a long wait.

• What does this mean for GURPS? Probably nothing; I have no intention of combining the systems. TFT is a much simpler system than GURPS, optimized for single sessions and dungeon crawls. They can co-exist on the store shelves and in your own collection.

• What about the TFT releases that you didn’t write? What about other Metagaming releases? I did not get any of those rights, or any other Metagaming rights, and I can’t tell you anything about their status.

• I detect a trend, with Ogre, Car Wars, Triplanetary, and now TFT. Do you have any other classic titles waiting for a modern reissue? It does seem that we’re going full retro here, doesn’t it? The answer to your question is “Maybe!”

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User

Will it be a 30 pound box set?

Knightsky

Making wizards funky again
Validated User

Holy shit. This isn't the first of April, is it?

Top Bottom