Steve Jackson has The Fantasy Trip again! [Kickstarted successfully!]

Agemegos

Invisible idiot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I really gotta wonder what they were thinking.
My guess — which is just a guess — is that they were thinking that they have a contract with whatsisname. Steve Jackson has a bit of a rep, cultivated over forty years or so, for never reneging on his word. Perhaps he considers this deal already done, a commitment made.

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Whoo-hoo! And, I notice, the Dungeon Fantasy reprint kickstarter hit it's minimum mark as well. Good times! :)

macd21

Validated User
My guess — which is just a guess — is that they were thinking that they have a contract with whatsisname. Steve Jackson has a bit of a rep, cultivated over forty years or so, for never reneging on his word. Perhaps he considers this deal already done, a commitment made.
So they could have said ‘thank you for bringing this to our attention. As we have an agreement with FGG, we feel obligated to see this through, but will not work with them again in future,’ or something to that effect. Not ‘Bill’s abuse is not enough for us to stop working with FGG.’

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Probably would have been better to say that instead, then.

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Whoo-hoo! And, I notice, the Dungeon Fantasy reprint kickstarter hit it's minimum mark as well. Good times! :)
We were reviewing the files yesterday and will send the game to print in the next week or so.

Lars Dangly

Validated User
TFT was originally designed in 1977-80, and the new edition offers only minimal changes. So it's very old school. It's a simple fantasy game with a focus on hex-gridded tactical combat. It's both elegant and well-designed, and looser than modern designs - you'll need to be on the same page as the GM, especially in campaign games. The new edition has lots of fun physical components, but again it's old school and I think it's a matter of aesthetics as to how much that works for you. For me, it's a place to do lots of dungeon crawling (in smaller dungeons that D&D, because it's deadlier) and also creative sandbox world building.
New players can pick it up in literally 10 minutes, which is said a lot, but it's actually true in this case. In fact, hand a 10 year old a character card and just begin. 3d6 roll-under is the main mechanic.
Yes, this is a game that has a number of 'game-y' concrete elements, but I always teach it by doing rather than by explaining. People figure out game play within the first 1-2 turns, and then naturally fill in the details that only arise in narrow circumstances. In this way it is more like teaching someone to play cards than it is like teaching them to play Runequest or GURPS or something.

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Chris J

Validated User
Does TFT have some rules for wilderness exploration, perhaps some urban encounters? I ask because I heard it's focused on dungeon crawls and I'm wondering if that would suit me. Dungeon crawls are fun but they can get repetitive. Sometimes we like to get stuck into political adventures and exploring the surrounding wilderness just because it's there.

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Does TFT have some rules for wilderness exploration, perhaps some urban encounters? I ask because I heard it's focused on dungeon crawls and I'm wondering if that would suit me. Dungeon crawls are fun but they can get repetitive. Sometimes we like to get stuck into political adventures and exploring the surrounding wilderness just because it's there.
It's definitely more about the dungeon than anything else. I know I'd love to work with the team to tackle urban adventures, but that is not something heavily supported at the moment.

Top Bottom