• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Storylines for a small vampire LARP

Rajaat99

Request: Storylines for a small vampire LARP

When vampire LARPing back in the late ninties, we had a game of 30+ players, so everyone had their own plots running and the storytellers did not need to plan storylines. Even when they did, they were often ignored in favor of player schemes.
I'm starting a VTM Cam/Anarch LARP and have only recruited about 10 players so far. Most of the VTM storyline ideas are for small coterie table top play. I'm looking for some story ideas for a small VTM LARP. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Re: Request: Storylines for a small vampire LARP

With a group that size I'd suggest sessions based around scheduled in-character events, or an investigative focus.

For a social-heavy game, build around specific in-game events, something that the players can have their PCs plan around. A regular Elysium meeting is the classic example because it gives all the PCs a reason to visit in (relative) safety. You could vary this by providing a theme for each meeting, anything from an art exhibition to a show trial.

Other examples could include a meeting before a gig at the anarchs' usual club, a private auction of rare occult books and artefacts, or the annual visit by an independent elder who the Prince doesn't get along with but has to tolerate... for the moment. It helps to have an intriguing setup to begin with, or to introduce a plot twist early on - have your "ten o'clock monster" subplot arrive early!

Then connect them with recurring NPCs. Do you have any co-Storytellers or anyone else you can tap to play NPC roles?

You can also use NPCs to complicate the regular Influence contests of vampires, with various other factions holding power in assorted areas. How do the PCs win over a gang boss, or cover up a news story?

Another alternative would be a more investigative and mystery-based game. This is closer to a lot of tabletop adventures, but you could emphasise the LARP side by focusing on props and physical clues, like a Murder Mystery Party, Cthulhu Lives! or a treasure hunt or escape room, depending on the props you can produce and the locations you have access to. For example, a reclusive elder has gone missing and the PCs find a stack of papers in the business she used as a front company, pointing to the involvement of the Prince of a nearby city. This needs some papers for the players to look through (which can provide hooks for other plots as well) and a small number of NPCs for the PCs to talk to. Of course it needs players who are interested in mystery plots as well.

There are a few published adventures, like Blood And Betrayal and The Elder's Revenge for Vampire: The Masquerade live, and City In The Sand for Vampire: The Requiem live. These are generally meant to be used as one-shots with or without pregen characters and often for bigger groups, but they contain smaller plots and subplots for scaled-down games.

One possibly helpful example is a one-night Masquerade LARP about a murder mystery and haunting for about six players and one or two NPCs in White Wolf Magazine issues 48 and 49. Issue 49 is on DriveThruRPG.

There's also a page of (mostly free, mostly one-shot) LARP adventures here, including some designed for smallish groups and some Vampire adventures.

Rajaat99

Sadly, I don't have an assistant syoryteller yet. Thank you though. This is a great starting point for me.

Last edited:

Devil's Avocado

Validated User

A cheap but effective trick I used for my game. (We've been running for about 9 months and now have around fifteen players).

Find an excuse (what it is doesn't really matter) to have missing NPCs. In particular, lose powerful elders and court members. That means its necessary for the PCs to take control of the domain from the start. Which both makes them more proactive, but also frees up the ref team to do other things.

Rajaat99

Yes, my players will make up the cities court. Thank you for the advice.

Rajaat99

@Craig Oxbrow; The more I review your post and the provided links, the more I find to help me out. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you again.

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User

Aw, shucks. You're welcome. Good luck with the game!

Top Bottom